desperate need of a shop or individual that's good with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default desperate need of a shop or individual that's good with wiring

i've been putting together a 3'rd gen camaro. its stripped of all the interior. i have a built small block chevy/t-56 in ready to go.

i bought a generic wiring harness from summit. i followed the instructions to wire it the best i can, but i'm still having problems getting the starting/charging system working.

the only thing i lack is to get the car to start and have the alternator charge the battery. i've gotten all the exterior lights, blinkers, etc to work.

if its an individual i'll pay whatever it takes (within reason)

could anyone help or point me in the wright direction?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a street car?

Key start?

SBC ... carbed or EFI?

http://lawmotorsports.net/Chassis4.htm

This is an LT1/T56 stripped of everything.

toggle switches power the system
momentary switch engages the starter

Uses stock LT1 electronics.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

its pretty much just a race car. i'm just doing the bare minimum to drive it on the street. ex, (head lights, brake lights, blinkers) its stripped all the way down. the stock harness was yanked out. i used the generic after market harness to get all that working. but i can't get it to start.

and its carbed. i built the engine outside of the car and had it tuned on an engine dyno. so i know the problem has to be in the harness. i just can't place it.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

With it in the car, the motor spins over?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

If youre using a 3 wire alternator the brown wire has to be hooked up to the bat. and the other one to an ignition source.
As far as the ignition goes, if it is so equipped and you have the resistor in the key that might be what is preventing it from starting if you took it all out. I bypassed all that crap in my old 3rd gen and used a pushbutton start.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
With it in the car, the motor spins over?

no. it seems like i can't even get juice to the starter. so nothing is happening at all.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by riplt1
no. it seems like i can't even get juice to the starter. so nothing is happening at all.
Battery cable all the way to the starter.
Momentary 12V to the solenoid should roll the motor.

If you are trying to use the key, I can't help. All that weight is gone on my car.

Push button start and I use a Baker VATS module to by-pass security.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-VA...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroboricua@6LE
If youre using a 3 wire alternator the brown wire has to be hooked up to the bat. and the other one to an ignition source.
As far as the ignition goes, if it is so equipped and you have the resistor in the key that might be what is preventing it from starting if you took it all out. I bypassed all that crap in my old 3rd gen and used a pushbutton start.
i am actually using a push button also. i'm turning the fuel pump and fan on manually with toggle switches.
and my alternator has a two prong plug in. and on the back side it has a small stud protruding out of the back looking like a battery terminal.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

well i'm using an aftermarket high torque starter that doesn't have its own solenoid but requires an external one. so i bought a basic external solenoid and wired a real thick wire from the starter to a post on the solenoid, and a thick wire from the battery to a post on the opposite side of the solenoid. the instructions called to wire the switch on the third post. i did that and wire the other side of the switch to ground. i flipped the switch and nothing happened at all.

so i went back and disconnected the switch and took the wire and touched it to the frame to see if it was even hot and it wasn"t.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Make sure u have a good ground. U have a ground strap to the motor and frame. Get a test light to make sure u got volts where u want it and go from there.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like the trigger voltage is reversed on the poles.

And like red90cobra said, a good solid ground from the head to the chassis is a must.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

If you are using a Ford style solenoid, the hot (battery) side cable goes on the same side of the solenoid a the small post "S" terminal. Make any sense? Nothing on the solenoid gets grounded except for where is bolts on.

Most aftermarket high torque starters DO have an internal solenoid. You should have one large stud (where the posititve cable goes) and a smaller stud or flat connector (that's where you would hook up to your key).

If you are using an external soleniod, you need to run a wire from the large terminal on the starter to the small one on the starter.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by red90cobra
Make sure u have a good ground. U have a ground strap to the motor and frame. Get a test light to make sure u got volts where u want it and go from there.
off that third post i connected a wire to one terminal on a push button and on the other terminal of the button i put a wire to ground.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
If you are using a Ford style solenoid, the hot (battery) side cable goes on the same side of the solenoid a the small post "S" terminal. Make any sense? Nothing on the solenoid gets grounded except for where is bolts on.

Most aftermarket high torque starters DO have an internal solenoid. You should have one large stud (where the posititve cable goes) and a smaller stud or flat connector (that's where you would hook up to your key).

If you are using an external soleniod, you need to run a wire from the large terminal on the starter to the small one on the starter.
thats how my starter looks. it has a big stud coming out the side and a smaller flat stud above it. i did connect the two with a wire.

and i am also using a ford solenoid. the instructions that came with it siad this,
{"connect POSITIVE battery cable to terminal "B".
connect Starter Motor cable to terminal "M".
connect Ignition Switch lead to terminal "S".
if applicable connect coil lead to terminal "i" if old starter solenoid only has 3 terminals- "B","M","S"- do not use terminal "I"}
so i followed those, connecting the battery to "b", the starter to "m", and the push button to "s".
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Default Starting Foundation

Wiring Schematics would be very helpful;
I personally don’t know why anyone would ask for help and not provide us wiring schematics especially since its aftermarket.
90% of all electrical problems/errors can be located in less than 60 minutes on almost every automobile.

Trash In = Trash Out, start with a good “known” power source 12.6 volts. Follow the path of electrical power starting at the battery (using a good “known” ground), through each section check your final power output & ohms of resistance for each section if it applies, “Double check all connections” and fuses,switchs, relays, power distribution blocks etc... .

Then move all the way up until the power is missing/not hot (then check the actual component/load).

Also check all grounds starting at the “Electrical load” through every ground connection all the way up to the battery. (This should take the longest especially when using a “Common grounds/locations”)

Testing components in-between the wiring harness “Correctly” is the sole responsibility of the person diagnosing the electrical problem just because its new doesn’t mean it works as designed. (This includes the wiring harness)

I know you probably already have most of this figured out but get us the facts. last known hot power location in reference to the starter including switchs.

I sure hope you have digital multi-meter

-Trev

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 10-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

sent u a pm
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

So you are using a 3 wire alt. The bolt coming out of the back is your charge connection to the battery. On the plug, the thicker wire goes to the positive on the batt. nnd the smaller one to an ignition source.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
Wiring Schematics would be very helpful;
I personally don’t know why anyone would ask for help and not provide us wiring schematics especially since its aftermarket.
90% of all electrical problems/errors can be located in less than 60 minutes on almost every automobile.

Trash In = Trash Out, start with a good “known” power source 12.6 volts. Follow the path of electrical power starting at the battery (using a good “known” ground), through each section check your final power output & ohms of resistance for each section if it applies, “Double check all connections” and fuses,switchs, relays, power distribution blocks etc... .

Then move all the way up until the power is missing/not hot (then check the actual component/load).

Also check all grounds starting at the “Electrical load” through every ground connection all the way up to the battery. (This should take the longest especially when using a “Common grounds/locations”)

Testing components in-between the wiring harness “Correctly” is the sole responsibility of the person diagnosing the electrical problem just because its new doesn’t mean it works as designed. (This includes the wiring harness)

I know you probably already have most of this figured out but get us the facts. last known hot power location in reference to the starter including switchs.

I sure hope you have digital multi-meter

-Trev
no i don't have one but that seems necessary to get this problem solved so i"ll get one.

i will try to go through and check everything to diagnose.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroboricua@6LE
So you are using a 3 wire alt. The bolt coming out of the back is your charge connection to the battery. On the plug, the thicker wire goes to the positive on the batt. nnd the smaller one to an ignition source.
ok. that makes sense. and when you said ignition source do you mean like splice it into the wire that runs to the coil?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Try to stay away from using the same wire that goes to the coil. Use one of the wires thats only hot when the key is in the "on" position. You should be able to find one coming out of the steering column or your fuse panel. Be sure to use a fuse in line just in case and if you are using a wire from the fuse panel tap into it before the fuse of the circuit you are using.
To find out which side is the before(unprotected) and after(protected) side of the fuse just take out the fuse and test the prongs. The side that shows poer with the key on will be the unprotected side. Be sure you tap into the wire from the back and not just force it into the fuse prong.