Garage lift- Who has one

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage lift- Who has one

Looking to add a Two Post or Floor Mounted Car Lift in my garage.

I have a 3 car garage, roughly 12' ceiling (I need to verify). I only need to lift approx. 4-6K pound vehicles.

Anyone have a lift that can offer Pro/Con's of getting either options?
Do I have to upgrade my Garage wiring? (over all cost for full install?)

Here is what I am looking at...
http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...nmarmaxjax.htm

http://www.carguygarage.com/6flmocarli.html
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

This is what I had in mind before the economy took a ****

Although im sure labor is cheaper now days

These will raise the vehicle 72 inch's

Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought this lift almost 2 years ago. Been problem free
http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...P9A-p/tp9a.htm

I've been able to work with the floor plate by stacking 2 sheets of 3/4" playwood on either side. Trans jacks, oil drains, etc now have a smooth surface to roll around on.

I've put my 4200lb CTS-V on it with a problem.

Requires 30A 220 service.

They are running e-mail specials at under $1300 for the 9K lift. I had mine installed for $350.

With a 12' ceiling, you won't be able to install a lift that uns the lines and cables over head.

I had 13' 2" and came up a couple inches short
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM
ppp
Launching!

the two post are very versatile but sometimes hard to work around in a tight space, i also find it somewhat inconvenient opening the doors. you can do more suspention stuff with them but they can get in the way. i love my drive-on, it's so convenient, but unless you have a rolling jack in the middle, it's next to impossible to do any suspention work on it.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I bought this lift almost 2 years ago. Been problem free
http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...P9A-p/tp9a.htm

I've been able to work with the floor plate by stacking 2 sheets of 3/4" playwood on either side. Trans jacks, oil drains, etc now have a smooth surface to roll around on.

I've put my 4200lb CTS-V on it with a problem.

Requires 30A 220 service.

They are running e-mail specials at under $1300 for the 9K lift. I had mine installed for $350.

With a 12' ceiling, you won't be able to install a lift that uns the lines and cables over head.

I had 13' 2" and came up a couple inches short
WOW! this is more inline with a reasonable budget. I need to check my garage celing.

What type of company installed it for you??
Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 9000 2post from pantherlifts.( just google) 4 years ago paid 1495.00 plus shipping ( 240.00) but we picked it up very happy with it 2 or 3 of us inatsller it in one day goofing off
will go in a 12 ft cealing but look at the same ( only need a 10 ft high) lift which installes with hose on floor rathed than hoes over head
we home built a drive on ramp which we can addto/install on our rack in about 20 mins to allow use as drive on
Johnny
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Rotary 2-post, and a Rotary 4-post. If I could only have one, it would be the 2-post by far. We use the 2-post about 90% of the time, it is just more useful overall. My 4-post has mostly become a parking spot.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfly
WOW! this is more inline with a reasonable budget. I need to check my garage celing.

What type of company installed it for you??
I chose them based upon them having a close-by distribution point and allowing me to come by and pick it up.

This saved me a couple hundred bucks in freight.

When I got there, the guy loading it asked who was going to install it and he offered to do it for $350.

Took him and a buddy about 2 hours.

But, it requres a 3/4" hammer drill to drill for the concrete anchors. I didn't have one nor the anchors. So drill rental and supplies would have been $100.

I did the electrical myself.

This is far from a Cadillac lift. I doubt it could take the rigors of daily use. For my weekend work, it's just fine.

There are always used ones for sale on Craigslist. For a Rotary, Bend-Pak or other HD lift, I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I have a Rotary 2-post, and a Rotary 4-post. If I could only have one, it would be the 2-post by far. We use the 2-post about 90% of the time, it is just more useful overall. My 4-post has mostly become a parking spot.
why do you like the 2-post better? is it because with the 4-post you cant remove the wheels without bottle jacks?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
why do you like the 2-post better? is it because with the 4-post you cant remove the wheels without bottle jacks?
Yes. With a 2 post you have access to the entire underside of the car. Why do you think that dealerships and all shops have more 2 posts than 4 posts.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

well I just measured from floor to rafter and Im only at 8'4"

I don't think a lift is worth raising my car approx. 4'-8"

Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blackfly
well I just measured from floor to rafter and Im only at 8'4"

I don't think a lift is worth raising my car approx. 4'-8"

This was the reason I researched the in ground scissor lift.To get the most out of it for the space.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can do a lot more with the 2 post over the 4 post. The 2 post you can do suspension, remove motors, rearends etc... The 4 post is good for adjusting suspension, oil changes, transmissions, etc...

If you do go with the 2 post make sure you get the cable that runs across the top. If you get the cable that runs across the bottom it is a pain in the *** to work around the hump on the ground when doing transmission work.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
X2, I'm going to buy a 4 post for doing the small jobs and to store a car when needed.

Last edited by Bad Chad; 11-09-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Exactly. The 4-post is primarly better for adjusting suspension geometry and doing alignments. That is about it. The 2-post does everything else. I find myself doing more suspension, brakes, wheels related stuff than anything else, so the 2-post is better. It is also easier to work around a 2-post, because the car can be lowered to the ground during certain install steps. The 4-post keeps the car elevated on the tracks, forcing you to stand on the tracks to lean over the fender. Just awkward, but do-able.

Easier to swap engines, rear axles, exhaust, transmission, etc... with 2-post too.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have this one because of my low ceiling height
http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...ts/LR-60P.aspx

I have picked up Suburban's with no problem. Only thing is that because of the cross brace you cant really pull and trannys with it. Brakes, rears, and pretty much anyhting other than the trannys is good for this lift. Plus you can buy the wheel kit and move it around if you want. Plugs into your standard wall outlet.

Quick Reply: Garage lift- Who has one