I just saw my dog get run over!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I just saw my dog get run over!!

I got a call from a local that my dog had got out. She told me that she had my Lab but, my dachshund wouldn't come to her. I rushed home to get my dogs. I saw she had my lab in the car and asked where my dachshund was ... I thought she might be close and just hanging around the yard.. That was not the case... she said no she ran down the road and she point which direction. I jumped in my truck and start to look.... I got all the way to the end of the road which is pretty far... So I call the lady back to make sure I was going the right direction..... she said yes I just saw her when I crossed the road. So I turned around looking everywhere.. Then I see her just walking around I was no more the 30 yards away and she started to cross the road again to get back to myside and I couldn't get out of my truck fast enough to stop the car coming and she/he hit my dog. She slid for a good 20+ yards. The ******* person didn't even stop to see if everything was ok.. It's not like I was going to ask for any money I know it was my fault she was out.

The car didn't go over her more of like hit her and knock her of of the way. She was not moving. I ran up to her and still nothing I thought she was dead. I picked up my dog and she started to cry. I still didn't know how bad this was going to be. I just took her to the Vet and they did some X-rays... They came back to me and told me her pelvic bone was broke on her right side.

This Vet doesn't do this kind of work and told us to keep her over night was going to cost $750.00 ... After he said he doesn't do the work I asked him... is she going to make it?? He said it could be as easy as just letting it heal over time or maybe surgery and put a plate in her. Cost for surgery if it had to be done was $1500 to $2,500 on top of the $750 to keep her over night.

My Vet I take all my animals to was closed or I would have taken her to him.. I know he can do all this... And won't charge me that much. And will be able to do this tomorrow and not have to wait until monday to do the work.

I couldn't leave her there knowing all they would have done is put her in a cage and walked off. So I brought her home and I'm pulling an all nighter. I bought all the pain meds from him to make sure shes not in any pain.

I have taken care of many hurt dogs before. I will just check on her every hour to make sure she's ok and in as little pain possible. She's laying by my feet in a crate so she doesn't move around much. I was told by him the things to check for if she start to turn for the worst ..

So I will be heading to the Vet first think tomorrow morning 7 am

Damn it's hard to watch and listen to her in pain..

Sorry if my wall of text was hard to read..

I'll posted a picture of my dachshund "Brandy"
This pictures about 2 years ago. She's 6 right now

Attached Thumbnails I just saw my dog get run over!!-brandy.jpg  

Last edited by SSHAWK; 01-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this. I love my dogs. Hopefully yours will be ok.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear. Best of luck.
You don't have like a pet-emergency clinic near your area? It'd be pricey, but they probably could've taken care of her ASAP.

Again, good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn man, sorry to hear this. hope for a speedy recovery.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Launching!

sorry to hear that man. thats really sad.
let us know how shes doing.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Teching In

sorry to hear that bro, keep us updated!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel ya my family dog was let lose and was hit by a truck last sunday.. He died and I had to carry him home.. broken neck back leg and he was a husky.. It was no easy task by any means.. I feel for ya..
Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Launching!

I kind of know the feeling...

When my smallest dog (a maltese-chihuahua mix) was only 4 months old, we took him to the dog park to socialize. He had just discovered fetch and was starting to really like it. I threw the ball and right as he started to chase it, he got hit by a couple dogs that were chasing each other at full blast. At the time he was 4 lbs and the dog that hit him wes 20+ lbs. He spun around in the air and landed on his back and screamed for 5 minutes straight, even with me comforting him. As I was running up to him, I could see his back leg kicking and it was very obviously out of place.

Luckily for me, my gf's dad is a vet, so he got a 400 hp 'ambulance' ride to the clinic. The dog still, to this day, doesn't play fetch...

I hope your's turns out OK. I think you made the right choice by not letting the dog stay over night for $750. That's way over priced. All they would have done is put her on fluids and some pain meds. As long as you can control her jumping and running/walking, then she's probably ok. Dogs are dogs tho and without you, she'd be on her own in the wild to get eaten by a bigger animal.

Good luck to you, your family and the poor dog.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hope she is ok. I have been in the same boat as you are in now. It is just as hard watching them in pain and feeling helpless.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Yeah, One of my dogs was run over and killed

I saw the whole thing

So I can sympathize with you

Best wishes
Old 01-15-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry to hear this broham! hope she heals quick with a superfast recovery!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 AM
9 Second Club

damn, this hit me pretty hard as i have a miniature herd of them over here. i was raised with these types of dogs my whole life. i would be doing exactly what you are doing right now. best wishes hope she will be ok. karma will come around to bite that driver in the ***. karma is a bitch.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

my dad ran over my last dog.. i have 2 new ones now, feel your pain man! dogs can definitely become a man's best friend!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks man

How'd your dogs get out anyways?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Not important right now.

Prayers sent. Dogs/cats, are part of your family. I watched my boston terrier get hit after opening the door to trick or treaters.

Hopefully, your dog will do ok. Make sure to check around and see if any of the docs in Houston at the shelters would be willing to do a surgery for less than your vet. Some of those vets are top notch, and don't view it as making money. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

So sorry sshawk. A dog is always a man's best friend. Damn I feel sorry for the kids.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Sorry bro, I hope your dog gets better soon!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This hit me pretty hard, my chow was hit by a car last new years. We almost put him down. Both his legs were dislocated from his pelvis and the ligaments were torn. Obviously he needed surgery, the expense was too much for us. We got to the point of laying him down and they brought in the supplies to euthanize him. I could tell what was going through his mind, he knew what was coming, so he stood up as to beg for his life. After that i said **** it, i pulled loans and maxed out all my credit cards to the surgery, i didnt care that i could afford it, id figure something out later. Hes family after all and i couldnt believe i even considered putting him down.

I truly wish the best for your dog, i hope she makes it. If you need help i know LSX members are willing to help, weather it be prayers or donations.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks to everyone for there thought and prayers.

Well she's doing great now shes with my Vet. I gave him all the X'rays that the first vet gave me and he said this would be no problem for him. Told me that he was sorry for not being there last night.. He had another emergency he had to go to for another animal.. I told it's ok we were taking care of her and I knew you would be here first thing the next morning waiting for us. Him and his wife took her and started working there magic on her.

He told me that its crazy what some Vets charge just to do this...

After everything was done from what i had to pay the Vet yesterday to take X- Rays and for pain meds $228.00 .. My Vet charge me $671 and some change to so far I paid $900

My Vet is going to put the plate in and keep her for the next 3 nights. Plus hes doing the blood work and all the pain meds. and some extra X-rays just to make sure nothing else is wrong with her.

Anyone thats needs a good Vet that doesn't charge an Arm and an leg...... send me an PM and I will give you all the info.

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
That sucks man

My Lab love to break through the fence to get out. He doesn't dig or jump he breaks the wood boards of the fence .

When hes done.... it looks like someone blow up my fence with TNT.. I have pieces of my fence everywhere.

Last edited by SSHAWK; 01-15-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That really sucks man. I was on the way home and there was a car coming towards me with brights on, once the car got past me there was a chiwawa maybe 3 yards out i saw at the last second and there was nothing i could do, as a third gen is not designed for dual exhaust, the noise i heard from under my car ensured that the picture would not be pretty, it was 6:30 AM and i just couldnt stop to see the damage, i knew it was a done deal. Felt pretty bad, but there was not even a way to know where the dog lived at.

Quick Reply: I just saw my dog get run over!!