Emissions laws for v6-v8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions laws for v6-v8?

Brief convo with a friend rebuilding a 350 small block said by law I cant swap a v8 into my v6 and get it to pass emissions because its not a factory setup.

True? Or just have to have some "friends" pass that **** for you under the radar?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

my car was a v6 when i bought it now a v8 they dont give a **** what engine was there as long as it passes emissions if obd2 they hook up the comp to it and as long as the ecu says its good you pass if obd 1 they sniffer test it if your in a emission county if not then its just a visiual inspection safety inspection but they always check for cats as long as you go to a reputable place if you go to slacker place they dont really give a crap as long as check engine light isnt on

part thats tricky is if you have a obd 2 car and you go to a older motor thats obd 1
Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DarknessHunter
my car was a v6 when i bought it now a v8 they dont give a **** what engine was there as long as it passes emissions if obd2 they hook up the comp to it and as long as the ecu says its good you pass if obd 1 they sniffer test it if your in a emission county if not then its just a visiual inspection safety inspection but they always check for cats as long as you go to a reputable place if you go to slacker place they dont really give a crap as long as check engine light isnt on

part thats tricky is if you have a obd 2 car and you go to a older motor thats obd 1
If its possible to remove the codes from the PCM for the check engine light and such I want to do that.

thanks for the help
Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

ive got air rear o2s and egr deleted out just take it to a shop and get it what you need tuned out
Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you putting an SBC into a 4th gen?

you just have to pass whatever the standard is for that year... so if its a 96+ car, you gotta pass the OBDII test, which you arent going to be able to do with an SBC unless you have an OBDII conversion done to it, which is expensive.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea if it's an older sbc you're gonna have trouble getting it to pass unless you find a friendly inspection place.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

the car is a 94. im looking at a building a lt1 which is still "factory"... but they wont DQ someone for a v8 in a v6 body?

I hear "just buy a v8" all the time... I sat for a couple weeks until i thought about it: Why buy a v8 that will require even more work? Sure, the only thing id keep from a lt1 car is the shell and engine. I want to build the engine, transmission, rear end and suspension. Keeping the V6 vin number is better IMO for insurance purposes.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

yup im insured as a v6 but got a power house ls in it lt wont be a hard swap just find a donor car cause all the lil things will nickle and dime you to death
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Good to hear. my plans can keep going forward

thanks

Quick Reply: Emissions laws for v6-v8?