What would you guys have done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you guys have done?

I'm the Asst. Manager at the Blockbuster in Pearland. The other night, a guy walked in who was mid 40's, middle eastern, and had a beard. He was wearing normal clothes and no turban instead he has a hat, and was looking down (i guess so the camera couldn't see his face.) So he walks in at around 8:30 and looks in the "special interest" section for a few minutes. Then he comes up to me at the counter and asks in a heavy accent "Do you have movie on making bomb?" At first I thought it was a joke, but he looked VERY serious. I told him "No we don't, and I doubt you'll find anything like that in the area." He said "Thanks, i will look on internet."

He walked out, and I tried to get a look at his car and plate number, but he was parked many yards out and it was dark out. I couldn't see his plates or even what car he drove. All I know is that it was a dark color (black or dark blue). I thought about calling the cops, but the description I could give them wouldn't help much and when I reviewed the camera, you couldn't see his face one bit.

What would you guys have done if this had happened to you?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I would have said yeah we keep those in the back, then lock him in the back until the cops show up.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...
Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would tell the cops. Even though you couldn't get a positive ID on the guy I would at least let them know. Considering how crazy some people are these days you can't really afford to cast this off as some guy being funny or weird.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Seems like it would have been your obligation both as management and a public citizen to follow him to his vehicle, whether he notices you or not, and get his plate #, vehicle description, direction of travel and call the cops immediately. I don't understand why you wouldn't do that, KNOWING that he has intentions of making a bomb bro...

I'm not trying to be a dick. We all have the responsibility to look out for each other and you dropped the ball on that one.

...just my $.02
Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

**** man thats pretty crazy. I would tell the cops and give them a copy of the security cameras just for good measure. i thought everyone know that netflix is where to get bomb making dvds not blockbuster, silly terrorists.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call big sis, Janet Napolitano or call the local FBI office.

DHS
Toll-Free: (800) 397-8876. Fax: (860) 256-0815. Call our Tips Line: (866) HLS-TIPS. (866) 457-8477 ... US

FBI
1 Justice Park Drive
Houston, TX 77092
Phone: (713) 693-5000
Fax: (713) 936-8900
E-mail: Houston.Texas@ic.fbi.gov
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Report it. Perhaps nearby cameras or something may have caught a shot of the car or someone may recognize the description combo. Could be nothing, could be a nutjob. Either way, let them investigate it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

hell yeah I'd report it. Something similar happened to me many years ago and I thought nothing of it. Today's society is totally different.

You know the 9/11 bomber from Oklahoma? Well He lived right below my friend and where I used to live. When I was moving out and he was moving in this lady came in and made a comment about, "do you see many cops here?" I thought nothing of it, but now adays I would have reported it in a heart beat.

You never know what might happen many years down the road. I'd for sure report your event last night if I was you.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if you'll end up on one of those TV shows where they do things to shock/confuse onlookers, to see how they react. Hidden cameras and such.

If so, you fail.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RobRomero
Seems like it would have been your obligation both as management and a public citizen to follow him to his vehicle, whether he notices you or not, and get his plate #, vehicle description, direction of travel and call the cops immediately. I don't understand why you wouldn't do that, KNOWING that he has intentions of making a bomb bro...

I'm not trying to be a dick. We all have the responsibility to look out for each other and you dropped the ball on that one.

...just my $.02
We're not allowed to follow anyone. Even if we SEE them steal something, we can't do anything unless they confess. Company policy.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely should have called the cops.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slash8915
We're not allowed to follow anyone. Even if we SEE them steal something, we can't do anything unless they confess. Company policy.
My work is the same way. Plus how do you know the person you are chasing isn't going to pull out a gun or something? It's too dangerous to just blindly chase random people. That's what police officers get paid for ha ha
Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

it would not really have been a blockbuster related issue at all, all they could say is "why did you leave work?", not like your going after this guy to recover property for blockbuster or anything.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They will find him if he looks on the internet.

Don't be afraid to call the law
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

It's not about whether or not it fits in your job description or whether or not your company policy will allow it. It’s about doing what is morally right... I guarantee you if some dude was jacking up your car in the parking lot you would have gone out there and said something or you would have called the cops right? Yet somebody comes to you asking for information on how to build a bomb and you do nothing...
I am speaking as a Firefighter/EMT so this really hits home for me. Your rational to me is immature at best. Next time put human life first and company policy second.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
My work is the same way. Plus how do you know the person you are chasing isn't going to pull out a gun or something? It's too dangerous to just blindly chase random people. That's what police officers get paid for ha ha
You don't know. That's the time in life where you let your nuts drop and do it because you know you may be saving another life...again, just my ..$02 though.
OP asked for opinions so I gave him mine. I am done with this thread.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RobRomero
You don't know. That's the time in life where you let your nuts drop and do it because you know you may be saving another life...again, just my ..$02 though.
OP asked for opinions so I gave him mine. I am done with this thread.
x2

I saw a guy ****** this girls purse once off a table and I instinctively jumped up and chased the thief. Someone caught him from the other direction before I got there. My old roommate (not friends anymore) couldn't understand why I would ran after the thief. He's from mexico and he said he's learned to mind his own business.

This is the world we live in - infected by cowards.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Puppet_Master
x2

I saw a guy ****** this girls purse once off a table and I instinctively jumped up and chased the thief. Someone caught him from the other direction before I got there. My old roommate (not friends anymore) couldn't understand why I would ran after the thief. He's from mexico and he said he's learned to mind his own business.

This is the world we live in - infected by cowards.
well in mexico, i'd probably let it go too lol.

to the OP, youre probably on some sort of hidden camera show, but it wouldnt hurt to call the fbi. in fact, its your civic duty
Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I would have reported it and just to get a close look at the guys car, model, color, plates, I would have pretended to go to the car next to his as if it were mine. And if you have not reported yet, I would do so right now.. Hopefully, they can follow the car you mention by looking at surrounding building and also get a closer look at him if he passed an intersection that has cameras on it.. Never know what he is intending to blow up or if at that point in time if a family or friend is close by when he does blow something up..