Input Requested (Purchase of 4th Gen F-Body; Camaro or Firebird) DFW Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input Requested (Purchase of 4th Gen F-Body; Camaro or Firebird) DFW Area

Good Morning:

I'm an expert on the 1st-2nd Generation F-Bodys (more specifically, Camaros). I'm selling a newer F-150 truck and will be purchasing a 4th Gen F-Body (Camaro or Firebird) that I can have fun with as a daily car.

Here Are A Few Questions:

1. Where Would I Post This Topic: (Need Input, Advice and Suggestions on the Purchase of either an LT1 or LS1 Pontiac Trans Am, Formula Firebird, SS Camaro or Z-28 Camaro)
A. Need specific input on what's best regarding engine type: LT1 or LS1
B. Specific input on what I should be looking for during the search for a car (miles on car, will get car fax or other independent report, a reputable shop to do a thorough analysis of car and what repairs are needed).

Thanks.

Jim T (DFW Area)
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Where is D/FW are you? LS1 for sure, I love LT1's, but they are outdated and you won't find anyone to tune them. Everyone has LSx ****.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jtscollect
Good Morning:

I'm an expert on the 1st-2nd Generation F-Bodys (more specifically, Camaros). I'm selling a newer F-150 truck and will be purchasing a 4th Gen F-Body (Camaro or Firebird) that I can have fun with as a daily car.

1. Where Would I Post This Topic: (Need Input, Advice and Suggestions on the Purchase of either an LT1 or LS1 Pontiac Trans Am, Formula Firebird, SS Camaro or Z-28 Camaro)
B. Specific input on what I should be looking for during the search for a car (miles on car, will get car fax or other independent report, a reputable shop to do a thorough analysis of car and what repairs are needed).

Thanks.

Jim T (DFW Area)
A. the ls1 is superior to the lt1 in just about everything except for initial cost and sound. i bought an lt1 cuz it was a little bit cheaper than the ls1 camaro i was looking at plus it looked better in my opinion. if i had to do it all over again, i'd probably go ls1 because, i'll say it, the optispark ******* sucks

B. try to get a car under 100k if you can. definately do car fax and make sure to test drive it. i dont know what a shop could check for that you wouldnt be able to do yourself. check the fluids. if it looks like its been 30k miles since his last oil change, probably means he didnt take good care of it, and i'd keep looking. check the ground for leaks and i'd check the tires as well. if they're bald, again it probably means he didnt maintain it very well and he probably beat the **** out of it.

as a rule, i wouldnt buy one of these cars from anyone under the age of 30, you can probably guess why. i definitely learned my lesson there. also, i would avoid cars with alot of mods. people dont buy go fast parts to go the speed limit.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 01 SOM camaro SS im trying to sell. havent really tried to cuz i love the car. Anyways the car has 116K miles, auto, slp lid and 3in cutout and thats all the mods. basically stock. ITs the wife's car and she doesnt beat down the car. The car an SLP center mount exhaust( another reason why i love the car). its an auto, leather seats, new A/C parts, traction control.

Issues with the car- has a cracked driver side fender. wife says she got outta the store and found the car that way. but no accidents sinced owned the car and was clean before purchased the car. as of now it has a bad O2 sensor. Can have both issues fixed.

Asking $7500.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Default First Follow-Up Note

Good Afternoon:

Thanks for the start of the input and suggestions. Definitely don't plan on buying from someone in their 20's; we all know why!!!

Yes, I want a car that's basically stock.

TO ULAKOVIC22: I live in Corinth next to Denton off I-35e.

TO 00 FREAK: Yes, I would certainly like to see your SS Camaro and it's in the price range and the type of car that I'm looking for. Yes, I would want the two issues you mentioned repaired before I would buy it. Any documentation, paperwork and receipts would be helpful. Does it need any other mechanical or cosmetic work?

I'll do a Car Fax or some other independent check as well, along with a shop that I trust to check it out.

I'm selling my 2000 F-150 Lariat 5.4 Triton Super Cab/Extended Cab Flare Side 2WD with under 68,000 miles. One owner (me) with all documentation (dealer invoice and main. records). Purchased car from Bill Utter Ford across the street/highway from our neighborhood. Will post F-150 for sale this week. Color is Black with Gold Highlights. Fully Loaded (no sliding rear window).

Here is my e-mail: service@jtscollectibles.com if you have a car to sell that fits what I'm looking for or know of someone who is selling one in the area.

Thanks.

Jim T
Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Good luck on your hunt. Are you a dealer?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Teching In

No, of course I'm not a dealer. Look up the web site; has nothing to do with cars. www.jtscollectibles.com (a hobby company for collectibles diecast models).

Jim T
Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks.

Jim T (DFW Area)
How much do you plan to modify it?

I would take an LS1 over an LT1 every day of the week - I've owned 2 of both. I've always been partial to the WS6 but that's personal preference and more based on appearance

Problems the F-Bodies had include (but not limited to)
Dash pad cracking
Door panels cracking
Bubbling/peel on the Sail Panel
LT1's had opti-spark that hates water and IIRC it's right below the water pump (go figure...)
Manual + 10-bolt + modifications are a tough combo
Racks will leak around 90-100k - if you puncture the rubber ribbed cover and fluid comes out, the seal is busted and you need a new one.
If you can find someone with a lift, you can do most of the inspection stuff yourself.
If the engine sounds like a sewing machine, that can be due to the type of oil used. I know when I used German Castrol, it would sound like that at 60k - when I used Rotella it was gone.
Window motors like to go out but are easy enough to replace
Headlight gears are cheap and eventually need to be upgraded (or flipped)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
How much do you plan to modify it?

I would take an LS1 over an LT1 every day of the week - I've owned 2 of both. I've always been partial to the WS6 but that's personal preference and more based on appearance

Problems the F-Bodies had include (but not limited to)
Dash pad cracking
Door panels cracking (firebirds)
Bubbling/peel on the Sail Panel
LT1's had opti-spark that hates water and IIRC it's right below the water pump (go figure...)
Manual + 10-bolt + modifications are a tough combo
Racks will leak around 90-100k - if you puncture the rubber ribbed cover and fluid comes out, the seal is busted and you need a new one.
If you can find someone with a lift, you can do most of the inspection stuff yourself.
If the engine sounds like a sewing machine, that can be due to the type of oil used. I know when I used German Castrol, it would sound like that at 60k - when I used Rotella it was gone.
Window motors like to go out but are easy enough to replace
Headlight gears are cheap and eventually need to be upgraded (or flipped)(firebirds)
dont forget the firebird tail light bubbling/water leaking
Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Default Second Responses

Good Afternoon:

TO HEAD HUNTER:

Very limited modifications; headers, better exhaust system and few other minor items. Don't want it too radical, since I want to drive it daily and not end up with 5 mpg.

Also, thank you very much for the input.

TO 5W20:

Regard the Headlight Gears for the Pontiacs, what are good aftermarket improvements over the original equipment?

What do you mean by FLIPPED regarding the headlight gear?

Thanks.

Jim T
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Good Afternoon:

TO HEAD HUNTER:

Very limited modifications; headers, better exhaust system and few other minor items. Don't want it too radical, since I want to drive it daily and not end up with 5 mpg.

Also, thank you very much for the input.

TO 5W20:

Regard the Headlight Gears for the Pontiacs, what are good aftermarket improvements over the original equipment?

What do you mean by FLIPPED regarding the headlight gear?

Thanks.

Jim T

the headlight motor only uses half the gear when it goes up and down. thus you can flip the gear and utilize the other 180 degrees of the gear and it should last a while. the problem with the gears is that they are made of plastic and eventually the teeth wear down.

o'reillys sells a plastic gear replacement for like 5 bucks i think, or you can find brass ones online, but i dont know the price. personally, i just bought a new motor, but between plastic and brass, def go brass as it'll be damn near indestructable.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Teching In

I had my first Ls1 when I was 18, added Borla, MTI lid and pampered it. It was a 1998 that I bought in 1999 28k on the clock for $18k. Drove it for 4 years up to 60k and sold it for $9500 to a guy in his 50's. Strange thing - I then bought my current LE from a guy in his 70's, and I am taking care of it too and I'm still in my 20's. Long story short, good cars can be sold by 20yr olds or 70yr olds. As can bad ones...do your research and get a $75 inspection from a local shop.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

You can do quite a few mods to an LSx and get great power and still get good mpg. I know where you live as well, I'm in Flower Mound which is just west of you about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic/lights. Everyone has suggested great things to look out for when trying to find one. Search the forums and Autotrader and I'm sure you will find something to your liking.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

If you want decent gas mileage get a M6
Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Good Afternoon:

Thanks for the start of the input and suggestions. Definitely don't plan on buying from someone in their 20's; we all know why!!!

Yes, I want a car that's basically stock.

TO ULAKOVIC22: I live in Corinth next to Denton off I-35e.

TO 00 FREAK: Yes, I would certainly like to see your SS Camaro and it's in the price range and the type of car that I'm looking for. Yes, I would want the two issues you mentioned repaired before I would buy it. Any documentation, paperwork and receipts would be helpful. Does it need any other mechanical or cosmetic work?

I'll do a Car Fax or some other independent check as well, along with a shop that I trust to check it out.

I'm selling my 2000 F-150 Lariat 5.4 Triton Super Cab/Extended Cab Flare Side 2WD with under 68,000 miles. One owner (me) with all documentation (dealer invoice and main. records). Purchased car from Bill Utter Ford across the street/highway from our neighborhood. Will post F-150 for sale this week. Color is Black with Gold Highlights. Fully Loaded (no sliding rear window).

Here is my e-mail: service@jtscollectibles.com if you have a car to sell that fits what I'm looking for or know of someone who is selling one in the area.

Thanks.

Jim T
Sorry im not interested in a truck. Wife just had a baby and need something compact and economical at the moment. right now im deployed and prolly have to message each other but my wife and the car is in Fort Worth, TX. My email is zaragoza_joe@yahoo.com if you serious and want to check out the car but i know a good body person to fix the fender just need to find one and then i can get my bro to replace the O2 sensor. The front grill i took off cuz i didnt like the plastic one and i dont know where it is. Headlights have the usual yellow haze. just a couple of minor things but other than that its a great looking car. the wife always tells me the compliments she gets on it and when im home i get quite a few of them myself.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just my two cents.

Aside from the obvious mechanical issues and wear and tear maintenance issues, If your going for a SS or WS6 model make sure you don't end up with a clone. I know that was getting real bad around the 2003-2004 time frame and you don't want to make the mistake of paying premium for a fake car.

Good luck with your search. Finding 4th Generation F-Bodies in decent shape especially now is quite a chore, especially if you want it for daily driver duties!

Quick Reply: Input Requested (Purchase of 4th Gen F-Body; Camaro or Firebird) DFW Area