Houston Area Hospitals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Houston Area Hospitals?

Other than locking myself into a 2 year contract in my hospital's ICU department (I'm not sure I can tolerate the snotty ICU nurses that long nor can I stay in this town any longer), I've done everything I've wanted to do here...now I'm looking to move on...within the next year. I am currently an RN-BSN with Transplant/Nephrology experience and 1 year of ER experience in a Level I Trauma center.

Since you guys are local to Houston, I figure this would be the best place to ask about GOOD Houston area hospitals...

I know of Memorial Hermann, the VA and MD Anderson, but those are really the only three that I am familiar with. I'm not too concerned about locations in Houston at this point, I just want to move away and to a bigger city.

If you guys could shoot me a few names of hospitals, I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've worked at Memorial Hermann in the Med Center and now work at the one out in Sugar Land. With all of the healthcare issues right now Memorial Hermann is leading by being forward thinking and making changes now rather than later so they can continue to be a leader in the vast healthcare industry here in the Houston area. I'm not in nursing, but I don't think Memorial Hermann would be a bad choice for you.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Memorial Herman is first class. I speak from a customers point of view though, wife and I just had our 2nd child there in March.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Which location? I hope you filled out the survey that was sent to you in the mail. These surveys and positive outcomes on them determine how much reimbursment we get from the gov't going forward.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Memorial City location.. I believe my wife received the survey and returned it. I will check with her.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

North Cypress Medical Center on 290 @ Huffmeister in the N.W. part of town. Was a patient there last year and was treated like a king.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am a nurse and work at Methodist in the medical center. Methodist is really a great hospital to work for. We also have magnet status. Pay is competitive. Methodist does not do trauma though, so if you are looking for that type of environment, go to Memorial Hermann or Ben Taub.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Memorial Hermann over Ben Taub imo unless you want to work for the gubment. The busiest trauma center in the U.S. is at Memorial Hermann in the med center. That place is always rockin' I worked there for three years and man did I see some stuff come through there.

edit: Methodist is a good place to work too.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedrx7
I am a nurse and work at Methodist in the medical center. Methodist is really a great hospital to work for. We also have magnet status. Pay is competitive. Methodist does not do trauma though, so if you are looking for that type of environment, go to Memorial Hermann or Ben Taub.

Ahhh, thank you. I was hoping a fellow nurse would chime in. I've always wondered what it was like to work for a Magnet hospital. I've heard nothing but great things. The closest magnet to me is St. David's in Austin. I, currently, work at Scott & White. We're a Level I Trauma center so I see it all, so I'd like to stay around that, though....but the magnet status really makes me consider downgrading to a lower trauma status.

I've heard both good and bad things about Ben Taub, though. At the point I'm at in my career, though...when I move to Houston, I think I will be considering management positions... I'm hoping to start working on my Master's later on next year
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know anything about hospitals, I never go, but would settle for an in-home nurse, blonde hair, blue eyes, and lots of one-on-one attention and cpr....
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obseSSed
Ahhh, thank you. I was hoping a fellow nurse would chime in. I've always wondered what it was like to work for a Magnet hospital. I've heard nothing but great things. The closest magnet to me is St. David's in Austin. I, currently, work at Scott & White. We're a Level I Trauma center so I see it all, so I'd like to stay around that, though....but the magnet status really makes me consider downgrading to a lower trauma status.

I've heard both good and bad things about Ben Taub, though. At the point I'm at in my career, though...when I move to Houston, I think I will be considering management positions... I'm hoping to start working on my Master's later on next year
Are you at Scott and White in Temple? I have a friend who is a pharmacist there.