Did the BCS get it right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the BCS get it right?

To me, it is a double edged sword. I do think that Bama is better then the Pokes. But Bama didn't even win their division of their conference. But Okie State won their Conference, and absolutely man handled OU. I think that Okie State should have gotten the nod to play for the Title. And this time, the computers ranked OSU at 2 and Bama at 3. And it was the human polls that made the rematch happen.

And to quote a pretty good SEC Football coach:
"If a football program has not either played in the conference championship or won their conference championship, then they have not earned nor do they deserve to play in the BCS championship game." - Nick Saban (2003)

I know I will most certainly not be watching the BCS Title game this year.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I am not an OSU fan but they definitely deserved the BCS game!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
To me, it is a double edged sword. I do think that Bama is better then the Pokes. But Bama didn't even win their division of their conference. But Okie State won their Conference, and absolutely man handled OU. I think that Okie State should have gotten the nod to play for the Title. And this time, the computers ranked OSU at 2 and Bama at 3. And it was the human polls that made the rematch happen.

And to quote a pretty good SEC Football coach:
"If a football program has not either played in the conference championship or won their conference championship, then they have not earned nor do they deserve to play in the BCS championship game." - Nick
Saban (2003)

I know I will most certainly not be watching the BCS Title game this year.

It sucks that Bama is getting a rematch.. they had their shot and lost. OSU should be playing but what hurt their chances was losing to unranked Iowa State team.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

OSU did not deserve the game. Bama and LSU are the two best teams. To penalize Bama because their one loss was to the number one team, by three points in overtime, would be stupid. It isn't their fault/problem that they play in the same conference, in the same division, and play LSU every year.

Im not huge on the BCS but they got it right this time. Its a freakish and unusual situation, yes, but it was the right call.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

They lost to Iowa State, nobody who is capable of losing to Iowa State deserves a shot at a championship. They got it right as far as the two best teams, they just went about it the wrong way....we need a playoff!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is way too many things to fix to make a playoff. Apparently the BCS might actually consider a +1 game, that would be much better.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

BCS = Broken college system
Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

As an LSU fan, they got it right. The two best teams are playing for the title. Having said that, I would much rather be playing OSU...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
OSU did not deserve the game. Bama and LSU are the two best teams. To penalize Bama because their one loss was to the number one team, by three points in overtime, would be stupid. It isn't their fault/problem that they play in the same conference, in the same division, and play LSU every year.

Im not huge on the BCS but they got it right this time. Its a freakish and unusual situation, yes, but it was the right call.
It's not a "freakish and unusual situation" it has happened quite often. UT three years ago and then LSU when it was a two loss team a few years back. The BCS system is broken, a playoff system is very viable. It just needs to be the top 4 or 8 teams with the first playoff being their conference championship.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in OK and I even think they got it right. Bama barely lost to LSU in OT in a game where they were more dominate and OSU had their chance all they had to do was win out but instead lost to unranked Iowa State, think that's enough said right there. What's fucked up is Gundy doesn't get a vote, yet Saban gets to vote Stanford #3 and OSU #4. http://www.businessinsider.com/saban...s-poll-2011-12

Last edited by Snake_Skinner; 12-07-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they got it right, but they need to consider a 4 team playoff or something. It seems the controversy comes between #2 vs #3 so maybe consider a game there and winner faces #1. Regardless the system is broken and needs remedied.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I think the BCS got it right, but I think they could have gotten it more right by giving the nod to OSU.

The argument FOR Bama is that their only loss was to LSU in OT, while OSU's loss was to unranked Iowa State. Bonehead move by OSU.

The argument for OSU: By losing to LSU, Bama lost their chance to win their conference. I've never liked the idea that a team that didn't win its conference could play for the championship. Bama had their shot and they blew it. Give someone else a chance.

It should also be noted that Bama lost AT HOME. The Sugar Bowl is hardly going to be a neutral field.

Besides, if Bama wins, they'll have split their games with LSU this year, leaving just a hint of doubt as to who really is the best team. Again.

Stupid system.

-Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
As an LSU fan, they got it right. The two best teams are playing for the title. Having said that, I would much rather be playing OSU...
Just because you know that if you played OSU you would hang a 100 on em in the first half lol
Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
I think they got it right, but they need to consider a 4 team playoff or something. It seems the controversy comes between #2 vs #3 so maybe consider a game there and winner faces #1. Regardless the system is broken and needs remedied.
4 team playoff would be just as gay as the BCS. If your gonna have a play off have some teams in it so perhaps we can have a "cinderella" team just like the Big dance always does. I think a 16 team playoff would rock, still allow most of the bowls that make money host a bowl and would only add 3 weeks, just drop a pre season. Do we really need to keep playing those gay *** Div 1 AA teams?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Exactly what I was gonna say. Geaux Tigers!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Meh - I think they were going to get it wrong no matter what. Either you put OKSt in with the tougher SOS but the worse loss, or you put Bama in who didn't win it's division or conference and lost at home to their opponent.

Nobody will ever be 100% happy with the BCS and even playoffs will have arguments (who gets that last spot and why so-and-so shouldn't have been left out).
Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Nobody will ever be 100% happy with the BCS and even playoffs will have arguments (who gets that last spot and why so-and-so shouldn't have been left out).
I agree, but I think it would be a lot better to have controversy surrounding who is #8 or #9 than what surrounds who is #2.

As it stands today, an 8-team playoff would look like this:
LSU (1) vs. Kansas State (8)
Alabama (2) vs. Boise State (7)
Oklahoma State (3) vs. Arkansas (6)
Stanford (4) vs. Oregon (5)

Outside looking in would be South Carolina and Wisconsin. In the above matchups, you would get to see three good offenses (KSU, OSU, BSU) go up against SEC defenses. You get a conference rivalry in the 4/5 matchup.

Even if you go by the chalk, the second round would be:
LSU vs. Stanford
Alabama vs. Oklahoma State

You might still end up with LSU vs. Bama for the title game, but at least there would be no question as to who earned their shot.

BCS apologists claim a playoff would extend the season too much, and increase the risk of injuries. Fact is, we're about three weeks away from any bowl games that matter. Give everyone a week or two off, then start the playoffs. The championship game would still be around the same time in early January, but we would get to actually SEE football, rather than talk, postulate and guess as to what's going to happen.

-Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FastB
Exactly what I was gonna say. Geaux Tigers!
Hot boudin, cold couscous, c'mon Tigers lets push push push!!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the current landscape at most you could change it to a small playoff bracket, while still using BCS equations to figure out the rankings.there are way to many inconsistencies in the way of conferences, schedules, and FBS scheduled teams to do a full playoff.

I kind of like the idea of an 8 team playoff with BCS-like calculations. But it can't be done fairly with unbalanced conferences, teams having weak schedules, ect. Without a major overhaul of things there will be more "chaos" than there is now.

Apparently the BCS is considering adding the long debated +1 game. Meaning, after the BCS bowls are played they play one more game with the two most deserving teams. Lind of interesting.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

They got it right because bama did barely lose to LSU. I would rather watch LSU and OSU play for the title though. Bama doesn't deserve it if they win, they didn't play anybody worth a damn compared to LSU. And got beat at home by LSU.