Private purchase out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Private purchase out of state?

I have some questions and if any one has experience with this, Thanks

Does anyone know what I need to do this?
I know bill of sale but is that all I need?
What should I do about plates?
Do I just hand him money we fill out bill of sale and he hands me title and keys?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both you and he must fill out & sign the back of the title as well as a bill of sale. I have always made a copy of their driver's license as well. Make sure you check the carfax/autocheck if you have not already.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Get title signed by prvious owner . You will need to print out forum 130u title transfer follow instructions on how to fill it out . Get a bill of sale . When you the car back to texas go to your local inspection station the car with have to be inspected and pass . You will also have to tell them its out of state car you need a greensheet form. It cost a extra $1.00 take all that to he dmv and get your title transfered .
Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Get all things possible signed by a notary(mostly bill of sale). Depending on the state of the current owner you can use their tags. Or go to your DMV/MVA and ask for a set of paper or temp tags to transport the vehcile that would be dependant on a inspection before getting new updated stickers.

I did this buying a car from Indiana and bringing it to MD. Its a bit of a pain but just make sure you cover all of the bases. Dont be like that subaru kid who traded for something that ended up being stolen with a fake vin on it.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call DPS make sure it is not stolen. My friend got scamed selling his motor cycle. The buyer gave him a fake cahiers check from a credit union. He handed over his keys and tittle not knowing. The buyer never transfered the tittle and sold the bike a few days latter. The new buyer paid $7,000 and got an open tittle. This guy got pulled over on his way home. Needless to say he went to jail,lost the bike and his $7,000.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Call DPS make sure it is not stolen. My friend got scamed selling his motor cycle. The buyer gave him a fake cahiers check from a credit union. He handed over his keys and tittle not knowing. The buyer never transfered the tittle and sold the bike a few days latter. The new buyer paid $7,000 and got an open tittle. This guy got pulled over on his way home. Needless to say he went to jail,lost the bike and his $7,000.
Crap like this is happening every day ... !
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

Signed title
Signed 130-U
Get a VI30 from the inspection place
Go to tax office and transfer it
Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

I've bought my vette and bike from out of state. Just make sure you get the title and title transfer form signed. And call your insurance company before you leave so youre covered. If you get pulled over for expired/no plates/no stickers, show them your paperwork and will, 99.9% of the time, let you go with a warning.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I always call my title company to run it through the DPS database before I do anything.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Handshake and pinky promise is all that is required.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to the local DMV or tax office and do it there. I know Texas is **** on paperwork and how it should be filled out. So I'd assume other states are picky too. I bought a car here and a Bill of sale and title isn't good enough. They require you fill out their paperwork too with the owner signing it.

If you want plates go online to DMV and you can print some out that are good for 7 days.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8urls1
I always call my title company to run it through the DPS database before I do anything.
I own a title business. The RTS system used by TxDMV offices only picks up vehicles in Texas. We don't have the ability with our system to determine whether a vehicle that has never been in Texas before is stolen.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

I bought my Camaro in Phoenix and drove it back to Dallas. I had a Bill of Sale from the seller and some sort of temp tag Arizona had. No issues at all driving it back or registering it here in Texas. Ran into the Border Patrol on my way back but that's about it. They asked where I was headed and made small chat about the car while the dog was walked around. The state also took my title when I registered it, had to mail me a new Texas one.

Last edited by Morbid; 01-27-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have bought 3 out of state.

First was the '98 1LE Z28. Drove to St. Louis (met seller in between), did transaction at Bank of America (he had a lien there and I financed it there), and drove it home, leaving my car in STL at my moms for a couple months. I drove from St. Louis to Dallas with no license plates at all. The bank wanted to charge MO sales tax to give me a temp tag. Not pulled over.

Second was a '98 Z28 I bought in Illinois. Flew up with $100 bills, drove home on their plates (bought from Billingsly Racing owners) and mailed their plates back.

Third was a '96 M3 I bought in Orlando. Flew one way to Florida with $7,500 in each front pocket, paid for car and drove home on sellers plates. Mailed back.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Some states require a Notary to sign the title over. Verify what you need to do in the sellers state and what you need to do in your state. One side note, verify that the sellers state has Salvaged Titles to protect you from buying a previously Salvaged Vehicle.

Joe

Quick Reply: Private purchase out of state?