House Electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Electrical help

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could tell me what is would cost to have the main electical line run to my house. I lost a phase in my line and Center point is telling me the line is bad and needs to be replace and its on the customer that has to pay for it. The run is about 90feet from my house to the box in my neigbors back yard. Thanks for any help or info..
Old 03-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

I would guess 2500-3500 give or take
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Call Julio Echeverria at 972-533-1617 and tell him Garrett with Pacesetter Contracting told you to call. He is hands down my best electrician and one of the best in Dallas. Fantastic guy, master electrician for over 20 years. He will be more than happy to give you a good idea of what your looking at and any things you may need to consider.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Launching!

same thing happened at my brother in laws, cousin of ours (master electrician )quoted him $2500.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Just a quick suggestion.

Get with an electrician and ask him how much he would charge you to just wire up the meter can. In other words, you would dig in the drops yourself and have him make up the connection in the meter can and use his license for the permits and paperwork. Center Point will do the final connection in the transformer/pedestal.

If you can do this, you should save some big bucks, but you need to call a number before you dig to make sure you don't dig into any gas, phone, cable lines.

Are you using a bypass right now?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the reply guys. I will start calling around this morning to get prices. And also call 811 for the dig reporting. Right now I have power to half my house. I turned off all my 220 breakers so not to kill my appliances.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Are you sure you didn't just have a breaker go bad? how do you know you lost a phase from the wire being bad? Good luck.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cajunss
Right now I have power to half my house. I turned off all my 220 breakers so not to kill my appliances.
Why don't you get a temp. bypass line? I think they're good for 30 days and you will have full voltage to your house. At least you should have that option, but I think it cost to rent a bypass, but from what I know, the cost of the bypass is up to your electric provider.

Originally Posted by v8
Are you sure you didn't just have a breaker go bad? how do you know you lost a phase from the wire being bad? Good luck.
Most likely Center Point removed the meter and took the voltage at the line side jaws in the meter can.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

[
Most likely Center Point removed the meter and took the voltage at the line side jaws in the meter can.[/QUOTE]

Yes, This is what they did.
I got a few bids. They will be starting in the morning. $1500 but at least they will run pipe this time. Look like the builder of my house only ran URD cable.Cheaper... To me that should be a requirement for power to be ran in a pipe cost more but more safe and should last alot longer.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Look like the builder of my house only ran URD cable.Cheaper... To me that should be a requirement for power to be ran in a pipe cost more but more safe and should last alot longer.
I've seen the underground wiring at homes even up to $500,000 and the underground wiring from the transformer/pedestal to the house wasn't in conduit. It's one of the easiest places for the builder to take shortcuts.

If it were up to me, no electrical permits would be given to new homes unless the underground wires were in conduit.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

[
Most likely Center Point removed the meter and took the voltage at the line side jaws in the meter can.
Yes, This is what they did.
I got a few bids. They will be starting in the morning. $1500 but at least they will run pipe this time. Look like the builder of my house only ran URD cable.Cheaper... To me that should be a requirement for power to be ran in a pipe cost more but more safe and should last alot longer.[/QUOTE]

Yea $1500 is not a bad deal. ive been doing electrical for about 14 years and thats about what I would charge.