Texans and Astro's recent moves

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Texans and Astro's recent moves

Am I the only one who is pissed by these most recent moves?

Take the Astro's. Traded Quintero and Bourgeois today for a minor league reliever and one of those "players to be named later" fillers. Castro is coming off a rough injury and it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to have someone to s;plit time and/or ready to go with experience at a position like, um catcher! I loved watching Quintero try to crack those runners at first.....no more. And JB was a good player! He had speed, some pop, and fielded well, AND he was young. WHY?

As far as the Texans go, I'm just lost. They're blowing up the O-line and now trading Demeco Ryans for a 4th rounder? I know Demeco isn't what he used to be, but so what! I'd still take him over MANY of the other MLB's playing right now! What next? Kareem Jackson gets a long term deal, and Jacoby Jones gets an extension on his deal?

And why is it that Philadelphia keeps cornholing us on trades???? Is Ed wade running the show for the Texans now?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I won't really miss Quintero and his .225 average. Bourgeois had speed and was good on defense. Clearly, the Astros want to start from scratch. Look for them to trade fatso...I mean Carlos Lee at the deadline to an AL team who needs an extra bat and is trying to sneak into the post season. I'd guess that team has another 3 years before we see any glimpse of good performance out of them.

I hate losing Demeco, but I have to agree with the move. It clears up cap space and he would have been a free agent after this season. Might as well trade him now while he has some value. We traded him for a 4th rounder, but we also got to switch 3rd round picks with Philly. That's a 12 pick move up for us. There's still a lot of talent in the 3rd round of the draft, so being 12 picks higher up is quite a jump.

Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones needed to be cut if it would have freed up a good amount of cap space. I don't know the specifics of their contracts. We could sign a "good" free agent receiver with their money. Any guy on the practice squad could have taken Jacoby Jones' spot. Who in the hell can't catch a punt, dance 3 steps, run sideways and get tackled for a 2 yard loss?

"Kareem Jackson falls down."
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I won't really miss Quintero and his .225 average. Bourgeois had speed and was good on defense. Clearly, the Astros want to start from scratch. Look for them to trade fatso...I mean Carlos Lee at the deadline to an AL team who needs an extra bat and is trying to sneak into the post season. I'd guess that team has another 3 years before we see any glimpse of good performance out of them.

I hate losing Demeco, but I have to agree with the move. It clears up cap space and he would have been a free agent after this season. Might as well trade him now while he has some value. We traded him for a 4th rounder, but we also got to switch 3rd round picks with Philly. That's a 12 pick move up for us. There's still a lot of talent in the 3rd round of the draft, so being 12 picks higher up is quite a jump.

Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones needed to be cut if it would have freed up a good amount of cap space. I don't know the specifics of their contracts. We could sign a "good" free agent receiver with their money. Any guy on the practice squad could have taken Jacoby Jones' spot. Who in the hell can't catch a punt, dance 3 steps, run sideways and get tackled for a 2 yard loss?

"Kareem Jackson falls down.
"
This.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

This is the guy the Astros traded for...wtf?

The 24-year-old Chapman, a fourth-round draft pick in 2010 out of Florida, is 2-5 with 11 saves and a 5.06 ERA in 54 minor league relief appearances.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

None of those stats matter. The only one that matters is that he's cheap.

As for Ryans, I know the players are pissed, but if last year was as good as he's going to be after his injury, he was being overpaid. Plus, he's a better fit for a 4-3 scheme, and became the odd man out when Phillips took over the defense. I wish him all the best.

As for why Jacoby is still on the roster, that's just Kubiak's hubris. He practices well, apparently, and Kubiak keeps thinking that will translate onto the field someday. Plus (and this is my favorite excuse), they know what they have with Jacoby, whereas getting a free agent or rookie WR is a risk.

So, you know you have crappy #2 (and #3, for that matter) WR, and you're OK with that, because you might get rid of him and end up with a crappy #2 WR. Brilliant.

-Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

The thing about Demeco is he was a leader on the team......I know he fell off last year, but I think he was one of the few players that had done enough to earn his contract. He kept his mouth shut, went out there and played to the best of his ability without any issues.

What about the O-line?

Quintero's average did suck, but was look at all of our most recent catchers including Castro. None of them have ever done much (if anything, Towles) at the plate, but I sure hope Castro comes around. Ausmus wasn't much of a hitter, but he did call better games. Quintero kinda reminded me of Ausmus because he'd go 5 games without doing a thing, then go on a double spree. Letting JB go just blows my mind though. I really liked him. We are getting NOTHING in return.

I never really took to Carlos Lee..........
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

The tricky part about contracts is that you're never paying the player for their current production. You're paying them for either their previous production, or betting that they'll play up to the level of their contract. Albert Pujols is 32 years old. He just signed a 10 year, $240 Million contract with the Angels. Do they really think he'll be worth $30 Million in 2021? No. They're paying him for past performance and to entice him to come play in Anaheim.

Demeco was a good player, and he might be a good player again. However, the most recent metric for him was last season, and he was not very effective, either because of injury or the scheme (probably both). Given that metric, the Texans determined he isn't going to be worth keeping, no matter how good of a guy he is. Sports is the ultimate in "what have you done for me lately?"

Just ask Yankees fans.

-Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

You guys are absolutely right. I am just tired of how things have been going with Houston sports. Yeah the Texans had a good year, but now I worry they are gonna return to 7-9 form. The Texans have never really had solid leaders in my mind up until last year......BUT the way defense as a whole came together last year does give me hope that they can hold up their end again.

The Astros I fear are gonna be like 1992-present Pirates bad. I can't wait to see Springer make the lineup, but we need more arms across the board.

The NBA is a joke to me now. Players in the NBA now wouldn't know what to do if they had to try to score on guys like Otis Thorpe, Gary Payton, Derek Harper, or MJ. Allowing hand-checks back into the game would allow the real studs to shine. Sadly, I think Kobe may be one of the last players who can and actually will play D the whole game.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Baseball in Houston is dead to me. Aside from Carlos Lee (and I only know who he is because of how poorly he has played), I don't know any of them. It sucks, because I love the game, but the Astros have been unwatchable for the past few years.

I would not be at all surprised to see the Texans go 6-10 next year. Foster is great, but will only be as effective as the O-line. Hopefully the replacements for Brisel and Winston are as ready as the coaches think. Wade Phillips-lead defenses are usually great in year one, but come back to earth in year two. Kubiak is a ticking time bomb of stupid, just waiting to go off.

-Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
i would not be at all surprised to see the texans go 6-10 next year. Foster is great, but will only be as effective as the o-line. Hopefully the replacements for brisel and winston are as ready as the coaches think. Wade phillips-lead defenses are usually great in year one, but come back to earth in year two. kubiak is a ticking time bomb of stupid, just waiting to go off.

-mike
lol!!!!!