Gen III in a jet boat, Rowlett.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen III in a jet boat, Rowlett.

Just put an LM7 after a winter of wrenching the boat was on the water yesterday but it ran like crap. The initial tune by the guy that did my harness got it running, but that's about it. It's got a real nice idle, stubles when you hit the gas pedal, will spit and sputter then take off running OK at best. After a few minutes it falls flat on it's face, I guess when it tries to go into closed loop. Also, the tach isn't even close. I've heard I have switch the tach over to 4 cylinder. I'll try that.

Anyway, to the point. Sean Freese used to have a Vette shop in Rowlett two doors down in the same building my refrigerator shop was in. Does anyone know where he moved to? If not, is there any one in Dallas that can do a tune on a boat? Probably should get the O2's removed from the tune also. I'm getting two codes on the scanner, O2 sensor bank 1 and O2 senor bank 2. Boat exhaust is wet so I don't run O2's

Another option would be to get HP tuners and do it myself, but never used it before. If I can get a late model EFI motor running in a 70's jet boat I SHOULD be able to figure it out... hopefully.. haha
Attached Thumbnails Gen III in a jet boat, Rowlett.-img_20120425_100559.jpg   Gen III in a jet boat, Rowlett.-img_20120425_100609.jpg  

Last edited by Blazeracer; 04-30-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're getting O2 sensor codes, that is your problem right there. Can't help you with Sean's number, but good luck. Should be fun once you get it figured out.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Hopefully Sean will chime is here at some point James. It's been a while since I frequented the LS boards. Who in Dallas is still doing tunes? I think you will be surprised once you get the tune right.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

There's a dyno shop that does custom tunes right by my appliance shop called T1 Race Developement. I stopped by there to see if they can do it, the guy gets $700 for a dyno tune and it will cost me extra cause we have to take it to the lake!

No thanks... I'll buy HP Tuners tomorrow and figure it out on my own for that much.

Them guys do have a lot of high end cars that go through their shop. Mostly Japanese cars. They have an SLC there right now, but not the one on Gearz.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

You would think someone with HP tuners would tune it for a few bills and enjoy a bad *** boat ride. I bet it will be a beast when done.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
You would think someone with HP tuners would tune it for a few bills and enjoy a bad *** boat ride. I bet it will be a beast when done.
x2

I haven't heard anything about Sean Freese in a long *** time.

You might talk to Sam send him a PM "Sam88GTa1"
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Check with True Street they did a tune HP to a air boat with an LS motor There in McKinney
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazeracer
There's a dyno shop that does custom tunes right by my appliance shop called T1 Race Developement. I stopped by there to see if they can do it, the guy gets $700 for a dyno tune and it will cost me extra cause we have to take it to the lake!

No thanks... I'll buy HP Tuners tomorrow and figure it out on my own for that much.

Them guys do have a lot of high end cars that go through their shop. Mostly Japanese cars. They have an SLC there right now, but not the one on Gearz.
T1 builds extremely high end imports mostly, Tony's work is worth $700 but the work he does isn't necessarily in the same category as what you need done. And I understand him wanting to charge a lot for a truck motor stuck in a boat with no sensors, makes the job that much harder.

PM "Dirty30" and "Sam88GTA1". They are local and can do it, they do LS stuff all the time so they are a lot more likely to be able to help you much cheaper.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
x2

I haven't heard anything about Sean Freese in a long *** time.

You might talk to Sam send him a PM "Sam88GTa1"
Stopped by Fat Daddies in Rowlett today also. He doesn't carry HP Tuners but thinks Sean is out working on an oil rig in the gulf.

Thompson Motorsports out in Nevada has HP Tuners in stock. They have some nice motor packages too. Anyone ever deal with those guys?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We do have HP tuners in stock at Thompson Motorsports and have also done a few LSx boat motors. Most were in air boats but we can get you dialed in and running great. Feel free to give me a call and we can set a time to look at it.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-0518
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thompson
We do have HP tuners in stock at Thompson Motorsports and have also done a few LSx boat motors. Most were in air boats but we can get you dialed in and running great. Feel free to give me a call and we can set a time to look at it.
Thank you,
Kyle
972-853-0518
Man, I was there yesterday and bought HP Tuners from your guy!! Didn't have the boat with me though. Here's the tune I'm on now. It works like crap.

For some reason this site won't let me post up the .cfg file.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
InitialBoatTune.hpt (471.6 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

If you cant get it worked out feel free to give me a call and I will do what I can to help you get it going. Its tough to pass up a day at the lake.. We should be out tuning ours in the next few weeks any ways, maybe we will just see you out there.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thompson
If you cant get it worked out feel free to give me a call and I will do what I can to help you get it going. Its tough to pass up a day at the lake.. We should be out tuning ours in the next few weeks any ways, maybe we will just see you out there.
North Texas Jet Boat Club is having a get together at Pebble Beach on Lavon this Saturday with a party at one of the guys shops that's right there at the intersection where "The Game Room" is at afterwards. They're gonna have a live band at the after party. Should be a few 100+ mph boats out there, but only one with an LS motor.... Mine

It's right down the street from ya'lls shop.

I'm gonna get my O2 sensors on tomorrow and hopefully that will alleviate a lot of the issues.

Last edited by Blazeracer; 05-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

I would love to make it but we will be not have the motors ready for ours until next weekend. We are about 2 weeks from being lake ready again. Maybe next time. It sounds like a blast.

Quick Reply: Gen III in a jet boat, Rowlett.