Worth it?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it?...

Gents,
Looked at a very nice 99 SS last weekend and it is what I've been looking for. Sold my 2000 SS auto a while back and have been looking for a stick. Specs: true '99 SS M6, silver/black, cloth interior (I don't like leather), 68k miles, only mods are headers and true duals all the way back into a very nicely done CME. Very well done and sounds great. A/C doesn't work and owner is not sure why. Car has clean carfax and is otherwise immaculate. No paint bubbling, no rust...everything works and interior is great. Only dash light is the SES from the cats. I can probably have it for $9k.

Concerns: I live in Spring and if I have to get it inspected here, are the cats going to be a problem? I'll take it to my mech to see about the air, but don't want to have to deal with A/C and installing cats right after I get it.
This will be a weekend driver only.

I'm getting old...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Launching!

A dyno tune will take care of the SES light and make the moniters ready ready, allowing it to pass state inspection. Will run you about $350 bucks.

Last edited by Hotroddin; 05-12-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very good deal! I would say its worth it... Although you really need AC here! There are some places that will still pass you without cats just have to find them, if not get a TSP high flow catted y pipe!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
A dyno tune will take care of the SES light and make the moniters ready ready, allowing it to pass state inspection. Will run you about $350 bucks.
Any suggetsions on where to get it dynotuned? Are you local to the area? I've heard good things about ARD and I only live about 30 minutes from them.

It sounds great without the cats, and I'd really like to stay away from adding anything to the exhaust unless I have to. I can work the A/C not functioning into the deal.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Daniel76
Any suggetsions on where to get it dynotuned? Are you local to the area? I've heard good things about ARD and I only live about 30 minutes from them.

It sounds great without the cats, and I'd really like to stay away from adding anything to the exhaust unless I have to. I can work the A/C not functioning into the deal.
I wouldnt let those dumb ***** work on my pocket bike.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Launching!

^x2 do NOT go to ARD. Chuck anders AKA Chucks LSX Tuning is my guy, ive had nothing but good luck with him. Yes, I am local. He is located in the Tomball area.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
^x2 do NOT go to ARD. Chuck anders AKA Chucks LSX Tuning is my guy, ive had nothing but good luck with him. Yes, I am local. He is located in the Tomball area.
Looks like I have some reading to do. When I bring up Chuck, he is all over several forums with pros/cons. As is ARD. And then there's G-Force, and Patrick down in Victoria, and SNL, and etc, etc...

Thanks for bringing this up and suggesting the dynotune. I'm going to probably buy the car and drive it for a while and educate myself a little more. This is just a weekend cruiser and will never see the track, but you've steered me in the right direction to get a little smarter on this.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This site will say LMR, gforce or pat g in Houston area.

Honestly I have used A R D several times just bc other friends led me there, nothing but good things..

Get a shop to tune out the cats and get the AC fixed sounds like a nice car!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
This site will say LMR, gforce or pat g in Houston area.

Honestly I have used A R D several times just bc other friends led me there, nothing but good things..

Get a shop to tune out the cats and get the AC fixed sounds like a nice car!
Thanks for the input fellas. I snoozed and lost. The guy sold it Friday. But, as always, I learned something from this thread. So back on the hunt I go.