So... what ever happened with the front plate law?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So... what ever happened with the front plate law?

So I remember a huge discussion a while back about the front plate law being void due to an error with the state senate. I was just pulled over and ticketed for no front plate, and I was wondering if it was worth fighting? Can any LEOs chime in, so I'll know for sure? Don't know if it matters, but I was pulled over in Webster.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my registration on my coupe today and I asked about not having a front plate. She said its the law
Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bad03snake
I got my registration on my coupe today and I asked about not having a front plate. She said its the law
Of course they are going to say that. I really want to hear from a cop on here. I don't mind paying the ticket, but if I don't have to, I'm going that route.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

i guess is still a law because i got a warning last week for it.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

yeah... about that.... I got a ticket a few months ago for no front plate. Still cost me $100 or something like that. Have no idea what's actually going on
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a picture with your front plate on the car, take it to court house. Pay $10 fee. Dismissed.

Some have said if you contest it, it will get dismissed (without paying fee) since it's technically not a state law. But different counties can enforce it or something like that.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Take a picture with your front plate on the car, take it to court house. Pay $10 fee. Dismissed.

Some have said if you contest it, it will get dismissed (without paying fee) since it's technically not a state law. But different counties can enforce it or something like that.
I actually have the plate in my back seat. Anyone know if I can still do this in webster?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

In Hewitt (Waco suburb) they still made me pay the fine even tho i got it fixed. (car was vandalized and i had to get new plates). But i've heard other places dismissing it, so who knows...
Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have owned my 99 Z28 for 2 1/2 yrs now and have never had a front plate on it. It does not have a bracket, nor any indication of having a bracket location. In Reno, where I live, law states that if the vehicle did not come equipped with the means to support a front plate, then the front plate is not necessary. That was instructions from the DMV. I have given LLEO's plenty of opportunity to pull me over for said issue....but they don't. I guess here in Reno I am fortunate not to have to run a front plate....I don't want to put something somewhere that wasn't originally intended for it.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not gotten a no front plate ticket yet (knock on wood) I think the cops that give you those tickets are straight dicks. Either way, take a pic of it mounted on car, get it dismissed.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

I havent got the no front plate ticket in the past 7yrs. Got pulled over once but he just wanted to jack me up let me go at the end.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't see the point of the front plate. I mean it costs the state double to make plates for your car. In these times of tight budgets, you'd think that would be an easy expense to knick.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Insano Z28
I have owned my 99 Z28 for 2 1/2 yrs now and have never had a front plate on it. It does not have a bracket, nor any indication of having a bracket location. In Reno, where I live, law states that if the vehicle did not come equipped with the means to support a front plate, then the front plate is not necessary. That was instructions from the DMV. I have given LLEO's plenty of opportunity to pull me over for said issue....but they don't. I guess here in Reno I am fortunate not to have to run a front plate....I don't want to put something somewhere that wasn't originally intended for it.
And There are no front plates and no state inspections in Oklahoma, but how does any of that pertain to Texas laws?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Ok, so let's say I mount my front plate and take a picture. Who do I give the picture to?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Ok, so let's say I mount my front plate and take a picture. Who do I give the picture to?
Go to the county courthouse and hand your ticket to one of the clerks with your picture and they'll take care of it.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM
9 Second Club

Go to the county courthouse and hand your ticket to one of the clerks with your picture and they'll take care of it.
Do I need to say anything in particular? Like, "I have a front plate, but the bracket was broken. Here's a picture with it on"?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my contribution but, putting the plate your window is now considered legal.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-court-...s/1477735.html
The apparent purpose of section 502.404(a) is to facilitate the identification of a motor vehicle by its license plate number whether it is moving toward or away from the viewer.   While a place to display the license plate is usually found on the front bumper, the statute does not expressly require the use of this location.   The display of the plate in some other place or manner is not inconsistent with the language or purpose of the statute.   The officers testified that they could see the license plate in the windshield.   We conclude that Losoya's display of his front license plate in the manner shown here did not violate section 502.404(a) as to give the officers grounds to reasonably suspect a violation of that statute.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
And There are no front plates and no state inspections in Oklahoma, but how does any of that pertain to Texas laws?
No, as long as it's registered in OK or wherever that doesn't require a front plate, we honor their laws. It's not like they can get a front plate issued just because they are travelling through TX or whatnot. We're close enough to Arkansas, where they don't have front LP's, that it's fairly easy to get away with no front LP since a lot of vehicles around here aren't required to have them.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Launching!

I gotten 3 tickets on this issue over the years and its all garbage. It's considered a non moving violation so it doens't go on your record or anything. However, like mentioned above, just take a picture of the car with it on and call it good. From now on, just have the plate on the dash so it can be seen on the windshield and you should be fine. When you go to court, just show them the pic. If you have to pay, you have to pay. If they dismiss it, your good to go. Is it worth fighting? Thats up to you.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Just my contribution but, putting the plate your window is now considered legal.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tx-court-...s/1477735.html
The Texas Supreme Court would disagree with you.