Gto got totalled last night by friend ins advice needed ASAP pls

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gto got totalled last night by friend ins advice needed ASAP pls

My friend let someone drive his Gto last night and he had a blow out at 50 mph, lost control and crashed. No injuries, no other damage car grazed a tree enough to total it. ? Is this "his insurance only covers him" no one else especially under 25. He has not contacted his ins company as of yet, car was towed and police was contacted and the friend driving was cited for unsafe speed. Should "my friend" who owns the car simply say he was driving or what ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does the friend who wrecked the car have any insurance on another vehicle or listed as a driver on someone else's policy (parents perhaps)? If so, those policies should cover the accident.
If not, the owner of the car's policy will cover since in TX (I assume the accident happened here) the policy's state (in fancy language) that as long as the car wasnt reported stolen and the operator had permission of the vehicle owner, the accident will be covered... assuming full coverage.

your buddy needs to tell his accident-prone friend that one way or another, the insurance company will get their money back

Oh, and dont lie, thats the worst thing they can do
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VinR1
does the friend who wrecked the car have any insurance on another vehicle or listed as a driver on someone else's policy (parents perhaps)? If so, those policies should cover the accident.
If not, the owner of the car's policy will cover since in TX (I assume the accident happened here) the policy's state (in fancy language) that as long as the car wasnt reported stolen and the operator had permission of the vehicle owner, the accident will be covered... assuming full coverage.

your buddy needs to tell his accident-prone friend that one way or another, the insurance company will get their money back

Oh, and dont lie, thats the worst thing they can do
Ok the owner does indeed have full coverage and yes it happened in tx ( not stolen) the friend has only liability on his ws6, The policy holders insurance card clearly states no one under 25 will operate this vehicle, That's the concern.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The police ticketed the driver so the info is there about the wreck.

Ya, its a great idea to lie about who was driving so he not only doesn't get paid for the car, he can also face insurance fraud.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

From personal experience...

Buddy totaled my Z about 5 months ago, his insurance didn't cover it, mine did as I had full coverage.

Their insurance doesn't have to do anything.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Ya, its a great idea to lie about who was driving so he not only doesn't get paid for the car, he can also face insurance fraud.
^ good advice.

Your buddies insurance is going to want to go after the driver most likely after paying out though.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE[/QUOTE]Awesome, thanks guys so basically being he does have f/c and the buddy does have valid license they should cover it (alghough he's 23)? They won't deny claim?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
Awesome, thanks guys so basically bring he does have f/c and the buddy does have valid license they should cover it (alghough he's 23)? They won't deny claim?
If the policy states no drivers under 25, Im leaning towards the insurance company NOT covering it.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DSIM
If the policy states no drivers under 25, Im leaning towards the insurance company NOT covering it.
I am with DSIM
Johnny
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Yep he's getting lower rates from the "no one under 25" provision so they probably won't cover it.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another reason I dont let anybody else drive my cars.

Too much fine print.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Your buddy might be in deep. HIS policy clearly states no drivers under 25 and HE clearly gave his keys to someone under 25. Kinda like deciding to drive on pain meds. Can the insurance company be nice about it? Sure. Can they also be firm about their policy restriction and deny the claim? Sure.

Time to brush up on his salesmanship and negotiating skills.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, guess we'll see, worse care scenario is a part out lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys, guess we'll see, worse care scenario is a part out lol.
Must be nice to 'lol' about a totaled car/part out. Id be making my friend pay for repairs if the insurance didnt cover it (conversely, my friends would make me pay if I wrecked their **** and their insurance didnt cover it).
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1 or LS2? If he ends up parting it out... I could use an LS2.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if the insurance stipulates no under 25, I think if you are honest and upfront with your insurance they should work with you. There are alot of reasons why somebody else would be driving your car, including designated driver duties and ferrying the car. Who are you insured with?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DSIM
Must be nice to 'lol' about a totaled car/part out. Id be making my friend pay for repairs if the insurance didnt cover it (conversely, my friends would make me pay if I wrecked their **** and their insurance didnt cover it).
Nothing to get angry about, it's material and was an accident. He wasn't drinking or driving like an idiot. Material shi* comes and goes. "Friend" filed claim 100% truthful (he was ill and called buddy to take him home and pick up car) had blow out and wrecked. If its denied (age) it'll get parted. I'm by no means wealthy but other things in life are more important than material.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully they will work with him. Moral of the story though, just my thoughts, but never let anyone drive your car, jmo....
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Nothing to get angry about, it's material and was an accident. He wasn't drinking or driving like an idiot. Material shi* comes and goes. "Friend" filed claim 100% truthful (he was ill and called buddy to take him home and pick up car) had blow out and wrecked. If its denied (age) it'll get parted. I'm by no means wealthy but other things in life are more important than material.
This is 100% true.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If he signed the form stating he would not let anyone under 25 drive he may not get ****. Hopefully the insurance company will work with him.