Yet another oil field thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Yet another oil field thread

First of all, this is being typed up on my phone in a hurry, so excuse the possible spelling issues.

My life has taken a rather... Interesting turn lately and out seems that it might be time to start over from scratch. I love my current job, and because of it I'm probably always going to be tinkering with 4l80e's and other autos long after I'm gone from it, but I recently turned 20 and have not been progressing with my life nearly at the rate I should be.

I know a couple of people who work in entry level positions in the oil fields and make stupid amounts of money. I've been browsing online for awhile and I have already searched old Tech threads in here about it. Basically what everyone is telling me is that you need to know someone to have a chance in hell.

I know a lot of you guys are in that industry and wondered if anyone could help point me in the right direction. I've already looked at Rigzone a ton of times. I'm also willing to relocate if needed. I'm not afraid of hard physical labor for hours on end either. Pretty open to anything.

Appreciate it guys, if someone can really help me, I'll try to pay back the favor
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed.com is good also
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

I landed a dirty paying entry oil job a couple years ago. It was awesome until I learned that you can make 5 times the dirty money working in the oil industry with a degree or a tech degree.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes dad does it for a living. Hardwork in the hot sun for hours. My wife wants me out of the military to do it. Said her dad could get me in the oil field job guaranteed. But ive never thought about doing it for a living. Imo to make the good money you need to have your own business and equipment to make $$$
Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The way the oil industry is now I'm sure you could get in pretty easily with a few companies. Halliburton. GE. n a few others.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Apply for a Field Service Tech job at National Oilwell Varco, we're picking up big time.

Especially so to the Veterans, my vet status is what got me through the door, my resume did the rest.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texas94z
I landed a dirty paying entry oil job a couple years ago. It was awesome until I learned that you can make 5 times the dirty money working in the oil industry with a degree or a tech degree.
^^This.

To the OP, working hard labor is fine in your late teens and 20's, I did it all throughout college and enjoyed it too. But what about after 5 yrs? In your 30's? 40's? Get an engineering or technology degree and employers will come looking for you, not the other way around.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

I was a tank builder/welder for the past 3yrs n made tons of money in the plants but it takes a toll on your body and im barely 21yrs old. The guys ive worked with that are in their 30s n 40s look like they are 10yrs older than that. So now im back in college for my process degree
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 AM
12 Second Club

I heard a new stat that 1/3 of 24-29yr olds have a BACHELOR'S Degree. There are TONS of people with degrees. And, guess what? They are looking for jobs too. Most of the people I work around do not have a degree. Oilfield is one of those RARE industries where common sense, reliability, mechanical aptitude, and a good work ethic will take you far. So dont get down if you dont have a degree. You will just have to work your way up. Like I am. Start with a Fracking company, if you have to. They are always hiring. Turnover is absurd.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
I heard a new stat that 1/3 of 24-29yr olds have a BACHELOR'S Degree. There are TONS of people with degrees. And, guess what? They are looking for jobs too.
That's a pretty blanket statement. Care to cite your statistic source and elaborate on what type of degree those people who are looking for jobs have?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiram007
That's a pretty blanket statement. Care to cite your statistic source and elaborate on what type of degree those people who are looking for jobs have?
Yeah it is. And, no I dont have a source. Heard it in an interview on Ben Ferguson show the other morning. All I meant was everyone WITHOUT a degree feels OBTAINING ONE is the Holy Grail of job security. We all know ppl w/degrees that are not doing as well as allot of us without degrees. Oilfield is one of the places a man can make a damn good living without one.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Yeah it is. And, no I dont have a source. Heard it in an interview on Ben Ferguson show the other morning. All I meant was everyone WITHOUT a degree feels OBTAINING ONE is the Holy Grail of job security. We all know ppl w/degrees that are not doing as well as allot of us without degrees. Oilfield is one of the places a man can make a damn good living without one.
Got ya, totally agree. Getting a degree just to get one is probably the stupidest thing anyone can do. Outside of science and math majors related to oil and gas, your chances of having a job at graduation or after are no better than someone without a degree IMO (liberal arts majors anyone?).
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Yessir. Exactly what I was getting at. Nice to have someone be REASONABLE on this forum for once! Lol. I hate to see people put themselves into debt and STILL hurt financially or be unemployed. Sad...
BUT, if one DOES have an engineering degree, this is an exceptionally beneficial industry to be in! Those guys BANK!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM
AGH
Staging Lane

I have been oil field related since 1978. Yes you can make good money at it, But hard work, good work ethics and a high school education will only take you so far. When you get older you will want to get into management and get out of the field, you will be passed by with someone who has a degree. Not having a 4 year college degree has been 1 of my biggest regrets. Get your education first you have all the rest of your life to knock down the cash.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A LOT of good information so far in this thread, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for.

For the record, this isn't for a career or anything guys. I still would love to go to college, but to afford that and have any form of a savings account, the oil fields seem like an enticing prospect for the next year or two. Fracking was what I was looking in to, I had no idea there were companies that were just for fracking, I had thought that you had to get a fracking job with a major company like Haliburton or something lol. Anyone know of any good fracking companies? (Probably a stupid question)

The idea I had was to possibly find a job fracking somewhere, put my nose to the grinder and work my *** off for the next year or so, get a feel for if the petroleum industry is something I'd want to look into as a career, if so, go to college for something related to that, if not, go to college and plan for maybe a business degree. I'd love to own my own business someday, something automotive related preferably
Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

When i broke out.. "thats what us patch guys call it" it was about 5 years ago. I signed up with Halliburton. There was a yard 60 miles away which i still drive back and forth to, now in a company pickup.

Also I'm going to make 95k this year, "should be 110 but thats another story"
And im a supervisor for Halliburton now. My creditiantials = highschool and work ethich as high as the moon.

Next year is looking to be a good year. I should do between 100-120k, and im trying to move up. With enough experience, you can get lucky and land a job as a company man at around 1200/day starting out. Im
Currently talking to some guys about moving up to that spot away from Halliburton.

On a side note, our engineers dont have to work as hard physically as us, but also are on a 55k a year SALARY working sometimes 70-80 hours a week
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats average entry-level pay for an oil field job? I've never really looked into it.

I do industrial electrical work, some jobs pay pretty decent, some not so much. All in all it isn't bad.

Not banking like this guy above me though.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

What baalic said.
I started with Halliburton, as well. Fracking. $11 an hour. BUT....you would ring in(at the time, IDK now...) 100+hrs a week, and get a daily per diem pay. Making pretty good money, but always gone and just shiiiiiit work. I HATED IT. But I knew I had to tough it out, to get my foot in the door. I tried the whole drive from rig to rig to see if they needed a hand bit and it got me nowhere. Haliburton payed for my CDL(as you have to have one to be employed with them) and I worked for them for about a year. Then I moved on to hauling production water. Allong the way I was VERY selective in who I socialized with and made some good connections. Ultimately, was asked if Id like to come work for EOG as a Lease Operator, moved on to a Lead Lease Op, and now Ive just been moved to a Station Operator gig, and I can tell you this job is an insane gravy-train. But.... I WANTED to be in the oil/gas industry. I left a previous career and struggled to get into this. Cost me a lot of money, heartache, and a divorce to get here. It is not a 'job' for me. Im proud of it. I love coming in everyday. I love the guys I work with(nohomo). It is a......family, of sorts. You are either made for it, or not. Its kinda strange that way.
Either way...This time next year I should be close to the $100k mark. And, for the record...simply being a 'water weinie' I was making over $50K a year. You will always have a job when you have a CDL. It may not be a GREAT ONE....but you will be able to put food on the table. Even if you only sit at your own table once a week!lol
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I've been with Halliburton since 08 in different technician levels. they have great benefits and retirement. But as far as pay goes the money is in the field. That's where I've been trying to get. I am in the middle on the degree. I've seen some with success (management roles)without it . As some have said though now days evryone wants that piece of paper. Smaller company's pay more usually but have higher risk of lay offs. Making 120+ a year in areas other than frac. Frac is about the easiest to get into. This sort of research is good. The field in general is slow and has been for most of the year but get you foot in where you can.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

OP, if decided to work and save for college, make sure you're smart about it. Do go blowing your money on stupid **** or taking on more debt.

Originally Posted by hiram007
Got ya, totally agree. Getting a degree just to get one is probably the stupidest thing anyone can do. Outside of science and math majors related to oil and gas, your chances of having a job at graduation or after are no better than someone without a degree IMO (liberal arts majors anyone?).
Earning a degree and educating yourself isn't stupid, it's the amount of time and MONEY that you have to spend that's stupid.

We are currently living in the time of the higher education bubble. Investors, financial firms, banks, publishers, colleges, universities, anything related to higher education are profiting heavily from outrageous costs of education. Higher education is big business. Like all bubbles before, this one is going to pop sooner or later, but the results are going to be horrific. Students won't be able to pay off their student debt and horrible consequences will follow just like the housing crash. The beauty behind high interest student loans is that grads MUST pay back all debt because they are bound for life. They can't be forgiven even under bankruptcy. It's the perfect plan because there is no risk on the lenders side. That's why student loans are so easy to get loans.

Quick Reply: Yet another oil field thread