Anybody live near powerlines like this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Anybody live near powerlines like this??

A friend is looking at a house that has a greenbelt with powerline towers running down behind it through the neighborhood. Looking online he just worried about several accounts of child luekimia and cancer etc.. from living near stuff like this. Theres no transformers or big boxes anywhere. Electricity lines, cable maybe. i told him there shouldnt be a problem. Any input guys?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live near them. You can hear them in the rain and snow.

Most people here are in their late 50s. The houses were build in 1977. The guy who I bought the house from had a sick wife she passed a while ago. He moved in with the widowed lady down the way. Do not know what happened to her husband. The lady who lives across the street her husband died about 2 years ago. The other lady who lives closest to them her husband died long ago. I don't know what happened to any of them. I have lived here 7 years. We all feel ok so far.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Yeah, a guy on another forum had two huge towers put up near his house. And a few elderly around there kicked the bucket within ten yrs of them bieng built. :/
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to live right by one when I was younger, backyard ran right up to the edge of the towers, and I'm still alive and kicking, lived there about 12yrs, and I turned out normal..well for the most part...as well as my sister...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

thats an urban myth, I did research on these issues a long time ago...
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a study a few years ago when I was in high school. We had power lines running bye the school like this. A science teacher took two florescent light bulbs and held them under the power lines and they lit up. I am not sure what it proves, but they fact they lit up means something. I am sure higher amounts of radiation or something of that nature.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
There was a study a few years ago when I was in high school. We had power lines running bye the school like this. A science teacher took two florescent light bulbs and held them under the power lines and they lit up. I am not sure what it proves, but they fact they lit up means something. I am sure higher amounts of radiation or something of that nature.
Interesting. Probably has something to due with static build up or something.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

good place to hang shoes!! lol cant miss
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like my neighborhood too.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No experiment or study has ever shown anything statistically significant between power lines and cancer.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1425

Current always creates an electromagnetic field. More current means more electromagnetic field. The reason the lightbulb lit up is the same reason you don't just coil wire when you run speaker or a power wire in your stereo system. The noise you hear in your stereo comes from the same force powering the lightbulb.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2008/02/03...bulbs-to-glow/

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 11-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been a number of good studies on this subject, and none of them have shown any reason to worry. Your cell phone won't make your brain spontaneously combust, either. And Elvis really is dead.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EL T1
A friend is looking at a house that has a greenbelt with powerline towers running down behind it through the neighborhood. Looking online he just worried about several accounts of child luekimia and cancer etc.. from living near stuff like this. Theres no transformers or big boxes anywhere. Electricity lines, cable maybe. i told him there shouldnt be a problem. Any input guys?
I'm an electrical engineer in the power industry...I have never heard in such things being a problem, tell your friend he's fine.

I find that hard to believe....there is a voltage potential under the line between the line and ground system but there is no current flow so I don't see how the bulbs were lit...

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
No experiment or study has ever shown anything statistically significant between power lines and cancer.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1425

Current always creates an electromagnetic field. More current means more electromagnetic field. The reason the lightbulb lit up is the same reason you don't just coil wire when you run speaker or a power wire in your stereo system. The noise you hear in your stereo comes from the same force powering the lightbulb.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2008/02/03...bulbs-to-glow/
Yea theres a magnetic field around current but the current is flowing thru the lines not toward the ground.....there is only a voltage potential no current flow under the line...the florescents light up because of the mercury atoms reacting to the voltage potential no current is flowing through those florescents...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago
thats an urban myth, I did research on these issues a long time ago...

Call it what you want I know several people who have died before the age of 50 all right by these power lines. Was it because of the power lines? Guess we will never know.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't live next to those for 3 reasons.

1. They're ugly.
2. They can be noisy.
3. They make it harder to sell your home. (See 1 and 2.)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-

1. They're ugly.
2. They can be noisy.
These are legitimate reasons....
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

houses near power lines tend to be cheaper for reasons already stated in this thread. people with lower income can afford these and are the ones who move in. people with said lower income generally opt not to buy healthy food, or just can't afford it. people on shitty diets die sooner. that's my summary of a meta-study i read a while back. it's okay to live there, just stay away from poor people food (glucose, fructose, lactose, etc.)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well just looking at the pictures ... Those 2 story houses don't look cheap at all. I know my parents neighborhood has those behind them and when I lived there growing up I could never hear them or even noticed them really. And i'm normal .. I think.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

To the OP; you have no worries. That LT1 of yours will give you cancer before the powerlines
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Ross-

1. They're ugly.
2. They can be noisy.

ROSS hit it on the head.^^^^ and this is why people against the power lines play the health card.......to get more people on there side.

we have lived by them now for 12 plus years with nothing bad to report,except the obviouse....but so far living on the 40 acres the power lines run through, out weighs the bad in my book.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Charlay
Well just looking at the pictures ... Those 2 story houses don't look cheap at all. I know my parents neighborhood has those behind them and when I lived there growing up I could never hear them or even noticed them really. And i'm normal .. I think.
Yeah, not cheap but not outrageous either. $130,000 22xxsf 3br 2 1/2. He went ahead and put a bid on it. Thanks alot for the replies fellas. Very helpful.

Quick Reply: Anybody live near powerlines like this??