looking for houston area LSx shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default looking for houston area LSx shop

my car has a ticking/tapping in it and i've already pulled the heads and had an exhaust valve replaced, surface milled .004" to clean it up, checked for warping, etc, replaced the stock lifters with LS7's, converted to 2004+ style PCV valley cover (while i was in there), and reinstalled everything, only to have a ticking/tapping still there.

this is my daily driver, and it's already been down 1.5 months due to it being 20 mins out of town at my mom's place where they have the room to work on it & not being able to work on it in the evenings after work, and spending pretty much every weekend working on the car with mostly only a little wrench-turning help here & there.

right now (especially since it's gotten hot again, ******* TX summer!!!), i just don't think i can go through pulling the heads again and/or dropping the engine to find out if there's anything wrong on the bottom end, and i want to just get someone else to do it, because i really, REALLY need my own ride back ASAP. i hate having to have someone else (my GF mostly) drive me around all the time, and i know they'd rather not have to as well.

i don't really know of any place in this town (Bryan/College Station) that i trust to do the work, as well as possibly perform some upgrades at the same time (thinking possibly heads/cam/exhaust, depending on what all is wrong and how much it takes to fix it), and i doubt i'd find many (or any) shops here who really know anything about upgrading these engines. so i want to find somewhere in Houston that i can take it to who:

1) know these cars very well from working on them on a regular basis,
2) know good combinations of upgrades that can be used to increase the power, as well as the ability to adjust the tune to take advantage of those upgrades, and
3) do really good work and stand behind it, i.e., a trustworthy shop (yes, i already know to stay far, FAR away from ARD )

i already know about LMR & G-Force, but my impression is that they tend to want to stick with "package deals" that they can knock out quickly (although, done very well), rather than "general"-type mechanic work and minor upgrades. maybe i'm wrong with that impression, and if so, please let me know...i'd definitely not have an issue with going with one of these places based on their reputation, i just don't have a ton of money to throw at this.

anyone have any recommendations?

btw, the engine/exhaust is all stock still, the only thing i've done really is the PCV swap (which i lucked out on & found that i have the LS6 block, so no cutting to make it fit!), the LS7 lifters (which is "supposed" to be stock-replacement) w/new lifter trays, and a lid/K&N. drivetrain-wise, i've upgraded to a Monster Stage 2 clutch setup, with a Tick master cylinder, and i had my transmission rebuilt a while back by TDP after another **** shop here in town did some work on the car that caused some damage to the transmission (not gonna get into that right now, tho).
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check pr with a straight edge when installed lifters?
if using aftermarket pr, too long/short?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

yep, pushrods were straight as an arrow, reused the stockers
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull a valve cover and check your rockers/valve springs.

I had a car come to my shop about 2 weeks ago and thought it was a lifter, when I pulled the valve cover found a bad rocker.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

i've already had the heads completely pulled and all the valvetrain parts checked when they were checking the heads for warping/cracks, so unless one broke during initial startup, they should be fine.

i'll check anyway, tho.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sucks.. Hope you find the problem soon, it's only going to get 110 outside lol
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Teching In

510 race engineering has a good reputation
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

sooooo...i have a question regarding what shops charge. what is a reasonable price for labor to have a shop pull an engine & reinstall it after some repair work has been done to it, including removing/reinstalling all the accessories? just looking for the labor charges for the removal/reinstall, not including any parts or additional work that needs to be done.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I've heard good about 510 also
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

We can handle whatever you are needing to get done, from mild to wild. We dont just do packages contrary to popular belief. Feel free to shoot me a PM or Call me at the shop.

713-466-9900
Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

me and several friends use 510. i have nothing but great things to say about them. tried several shops i the area never really satisfied till i took my car over there plus they are closer to my house than other shops.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Of the two you mentioned, definitely go with LMR. They've done good work for me. Good guys.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look up SeriousHP honest guys and no bs. Never clean and top notch shop.

Quick Reply: looking for houston area LSx shop