1965 Chevelle is Ready for Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1965 Chevelle is Ready for Swap

I just bought my first rolling chassis, 1965 Chevelle. I should have it in Houston from the transport company in the next couple of weeks. I am pretty jazzed to get my first LS swap going. I think I am leaning towards a cast iron block either the LQ4 or 9, just b/c they are a bit more in cost effective.

Here in TX where are you guys finding your LS motors/trans? I have even kicked around the idea of buying a new block, from a place like summit or jegs, but those don't come with the wiring harness, heads, headers, etc and they are high dollar. So where do I need to start turning over rocks?

I read about a company out in Neveda that has a turnkey service for LS motors. He seems to be getting them from salvage yards, verifying they run and then selling them.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Chevelle is Ready for Swap-field.jpeg  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have the scratch pick up the 2014 gm performance parts books and they have it all laid out ready to go
pick your engine
pick your trans
select pcm and harness to match engine and trans
research which front drive accessories you need

Order all of the above and wham bamm thank ya maam LS powered 65 on the street no time flat. The best part backed by a genuine gm nation wide warranty valid at any gm dealer should you have a problem with said parts while out on the road.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad ***.. congrats..
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a member on here out of Montana that gets pretty good deals. I shipped a few complete 5.3's and it worked out well. PM me
If you want details
Old 08-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oscs
There's a member on here out of Montana that gets pretty good deals. I shipped a few complete 5.3's and it worked out well. PM me
If you want details
Sorry for the hijack,but your 280z looks killer. L8R DFLASH
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DFLASH
Sorry for the hijack,but your 280z looks killer. L8R DFLASH
I appreciate that
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

This is going to be one nice mean ride when you're done.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Pepe...I sure hope so. The car is on the books for pickup next week. I should have it at the latest by the end of the following week. Hoping all goes well. I am using Dependable Auto Shippers, and they by far seemed the most professional and had pretty decent rates to boot. They also have a division for none running cars as well, which I obviously had to use.

That said, I have been poking around and found 2 different places that had ready to go used LS motors that had been pulled and bench tested. Not sure if they are sponsors so I will not mention their names, but one is in Maine, and the other in Neveda. I have to think there is some sort of service here in the best state of the nation. If you guys know of those types of shops shot me a PM, and if you want the info on the shops I mentioned also shot me a PM.

I don't have to have a used engine, (01WS6) but I was going to try to do it on a budget. I would totally prefer the aluminum LS block, but finding one of those used in good condition I have heard is pretty rough since you don't know the history, and they can not be bored/honed as much as a cast block. So I am leaning to more of the cast iron blocks of the lq4 and 9. Where do you guys find these suckers with the wiring harness to make the setup easier?

BTW that is a slick *** 280z. Best friend in HS had one and it was fun to drive with the original motor. That thing has to be a beast.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

sweet ride! This is exactly what I want to do too, take a 60 something chevelle and put a mild mannered LS1 in it, something I can drive to work everyday.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

5.3L is a perfect choice too, when you consider how much your getting for what you spend. They make good power with bolt-ons, cam etc.

Quick Reply: 1965 Chevelle is Ready for Swap