Transmission Shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transmission Shop

I recently bought a LQ4 mated to a 4L80E. I got the transmission off and was going to send it out to have it gone through and built up to handle about 600 HP. I am located in the Houston area. Where should I send this puppy?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of several guys that use North Texas converter and they are all happy. They are about the best with the 4l80e
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Launching!

North Texas Converter sure does sound great for work on the 4L80e. However, I already have the transmission here in Houston. I would like to try to save on the shipping. Does anyone know of a shop here in the Houston region that I might be able to talk to?

I was recommended to Circle D, but have not heard a whole lot about them. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Circle D Trans built the 80E in my car with a lot of goodies. I would do it again.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Launching!

well since they are local they will be my first call. Thanks They have been recommended about 3 times for this area.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

cant go wrong with circle d , they do great work
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Appreciate the kind words and recommendation guys!

I will say this for anyone in Texas too far away to make a drive here to us practical. If you already have a 4L80E, unless you're within reasonable driving distance, it's almost always better for you to let us handle the cost and hassle of getting a core. Cores for us for early model units are $175 a pop on average (prices fluctuate), and a good bit more for late model units. I prefer using early model units for several reasons, price being one of them.

For example Mike, if your transmission is late model (which I'm betting it is), and it is functionally sound with no burnt clutches etc. then in a hypothetical scenario, I would sell that SOB ASAP on Craigslist and list it at $400-$500 and wouldn't take a penny less than $350 BARE MINIMUM. Core prices are almost that high, and the rate is definitely higher if it actually works. Once that's sold, it eliminates the hassle and expense of supplying your own core and you actually recoup a fair amount of money all things considered.

I don't know much about Circle D trans, however I will say there is something to be said for a shop that specializes only in GM RWD transmissions than one who does any transmission from any domestic automaker. Moreso than that, our absolute specialty is for the 4L80E, and now that we have the CNC software setup and I've achieved a firm grasp of using CAD software, things are really going to start getting interesting soon.

The last few weeks almost 100% of my waking time has been devoted to transmissions and CNC work. It's all work on the 4L80E from custom separator plates, accumulator block off plates, to our new 4L80E transbrake manifold and a few other goodies. In a few weeks once we have that nailed down 100% for production purposes we'll be turning our attention to designing some proprietary custom parts that are really going to start making things interesting`

Here's but a small sample of what we've been working on lately

Transmission Shop-ldxnlht.png

Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Circle D Trans FTW
Old 09-01-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

If I were you I would price both first. I like circle d for their converters but I don't know about transmission builds. I had good luck with a century built 4l60 a few years back. I just know from the guys that make big power like Flash etc they use North texas converter and they are from here in Houston. They have a pretty good warranty also. I personally haven't used them but do have several friends making a lot of power and reliably using their 4l80s
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Launching!

I spoke with Stephen at North TX Converter the other day. Real nice guy. Once I get my motor done I will be sending my trans up to him.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Also, just to shop around, check out - http://www.centurytransmission.com/

Quick Reply: Transmission Shop