Price for getting 'doggy door' installed through wall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Price for getting 'doggy door' installed through wall?

Recently moved into a house that does not have a door going to the backyard. This has become a huge PITA w/ the dog.

Any contractors/people on the forum know of the price range it would cost to have a 'doggy door' installed through a wall?

wall consists of dry wall -- spray foam insulation -- plywood --- brick

Just wondering if I'm looking at something that will be a few hundred dollars, or something that will cost thousands.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I bet the doggy door alone will cost a few hundred bucks. Over the counter dog doors are built for standard door depth, you are talking about one that is much deeper and needs custom built brackets.

Oh, you also need to consider adding a steel support plate that extends several inches on both sides to support the weight of bricks and what-not above it. You are adding a door through a wall. A small door but still a door.

Which part of Houston are you in? Have you considered DIY?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not just put it on an actual door.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

http://store.petsafe.net/wall-entry-aluminum-pet-door

Maybe try this one. I installed their door version in our new home. Now our two pitbulls go in and out the house while we are gone. Works out good for us.

If you can't do it yourself Im sure it wouldnt be much for a general contractor/handyman to do it for you.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing that comes to mind when i cut a doggy door in my old house for my old yellow lab.I worked long days and thought he would enjoy going in and out freely.I had his kennel on the inside of the door so as soon as he came in the doggy door he was in his kennel.Well all was fine until one rainy day when things got muddy.I came home to mud splattered all over my walls and bed. Apparently he thought it was fun to run and jump threw the doggy door projecting mud everywhere.Needles to say the doggy door staid shut after that.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon.com : PetSafe Telescoping Aluminum Wall Entry Pet Door, Small : Wall Cat Door : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : PetSafe Telescoping Aluminum Wall Entry Pet Door, Small : Wall Cat Door : Pet Supplies

$50 for the door. Brick or wood/vinyl sighting? I doubt it would cost more than $200-$300. Someone will come out, knock a few bricks out or cut a hole in some sighting. Slide door in, calk/seal/foam it up and be gone.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

about 30 bucks

Ludell Sledge Hammer with Double Wedged Fiberglass Handle, 35" Handle Length: Sledgehammers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Ludell Sledge Hammer with Double Wedged Fiberglass Handle, 35" Handle Length: Sledgehammers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 11-16-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest to install it on the back door itself, and not go through any brick. That way years down the road and should decide to sell your house you can just buy a new door.

I did mine that way, real easy install. I uesd a drill and a jig saw and had it done in about hour....
Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypaul
That way years down the road and should decide to sell your house you can just buy a new door.
We actually decided not to install the door through the wall based on this.. When we sell the house, I'm sure it will be a huge turnoff for people that do not have pets (plus they will see the door and assume 100 dirty dogs were roaming the house at one point)

We don't have a back door as stated, what we decided to do was keep the dog in the garage (once it gets warmer) and install a dog door through the garage side door (which connects to the backyard).

Quick Reply: Price for getting 'doggy door' installed through wall?