Concrete stain/sealer and shop lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Concrete stain/sealer and shop lights?

Well I'm wanting to see if you guy paid a company or did it yourself. If you paid a company how much did they change you per square foot and did they do a good job? Also has it held up good and what's the company name?
If you did it yourself, what place did you buy it from and what brand did you use? How well has it held up to wear and tear?
So if you have had anyone do it or you did it yourself. Post pics!

One of the last things I'm needing to buy shop lights. I was looking at the 8ft lights at lowes. I had a buddy that ordered lights from warehouse-lighting.com . They are the 4 bulb t5 lights. I might be ordering them but want to see what other people have used and liked and didn't like. So if you could post what brand brand and where you got them at would be helpful.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want too much information, go visit garagejournal.com very focused on flooring and lighting.

I did a water based sealer in my 50'x50' shop that didn't work as advertised, and the distributor replaced it with epoxy since they misrepresented the product.

I ground 1/4 of the floor (25'x25'), and put down the epoxy that 1/4 of my shop to test epoxy before doing the entire shop. It immediately had issues with bubbling as a result of not putting down sealer on the slab, again the distributor forgot to mention or send that that as part of making up for the first issue.

I contacted the actual mfg. of the sealer and epoxy, and they offered to send me the sealer to fix the bubbling, but I have to grind the floor (again).

At this point I am moving forward with staining and a poly sealer over the stain for the 3/4 of my shop as soon as I finish removing the water based sealer.

As for lights, I bought Lithonia 4 light T8 troffer units from Home Depot. I think I have 16 of them in my shop, and it is plenty bright. You can spend as much or as little as you want on lights. There are some light mfg's in Houston who do a nice reflective high bay T5.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The T5 Light fixtures use less wattage than the T8's. If you really want energy savings on lighting go with LED. I'm hoping to upgrade to LED in my shop before too long
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shop lighting

I used the 8' lighting from Lowes, since it was about $5 each cheaper than Home Depot for the same specs. I did a nice install with EMT conduit & all lights have performed well for exactly one year with no issues.

I'm with Bad Chad about upgrading to LED one of these days...
Attached Thumbnails Concrete stain/sealer and shop lights?-shop-lighting.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
https://www.1000bulbs.com/

I've ordered from both. Not many orders since LED last forever.

For the concrete, what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Launching!

I went with t8s from home depot. I put 6 of them in my 3 car garage with daylight bulbs. It's like an operating room in there now.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

That's for the tips guys. I think I'm might go with LED lights. I'm still not sure on the concrete thow. I called a company and they charge 3.50 a square foot. That's more then I paid for the concrete a square foot. My shop is 40x50 so that would have been 7 grand.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

$3.50/ft would be right for some nice epoxy if your surface needs refinishing.

What is the purpose of treating your concrete? Each treatment has a different purpose and requires different prep.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm to cheap to spend that kinda money on a epoxy. The content is brand new, got it done on January 7th. It has a smooth finish on it. I have not even drove on it yet because I didn't want tire marks or anything dripping on it.
I'm wanting the epoxy for it I spill any kinda liquids that I can whip it right up. I don't want any oil stain or anything like that. I also like the look of it when it was the paint chips in it.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh new slab, too easy. On the cheap, run out to home depot and choose whichever sealer you like.

There is a HUGE range of epoxies from home garage to industrial 300,000psi resistant to everything. With new clean slab its too easy, very much a diy project. Check out self-leveling epoxy.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Oh new slab, too easy. On the cheap, run out to home depot and choose whichever sealer you like.

There is a HUGE range of epoxies from home garage to industrial 300,000psi resistant to everything. With new clean slab its too easy, very much a diy project. Check out self-leveling epoxy.
Yeah after I got the quote I decided that I would rather do it myself. 7k is just way to much money. It's just a shop, not some show room.

Quick Reply: Concrete stain/sealer and shop lights?