State Inspection Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Inspection Question

So I guess I lucked out with the state inspections at least for this year. Not going to have to get reinspected until late next year. My question is has the state inspection procedure changed with the two step registration? As in are all cars now required to be sniff tested or have they always been sniff tested?

Reason I'm asking is, I'm pretty much 100% positive my car has no cats, in addition to having flowmaster 10 series mufflers, basically straight pipes. So if sniff testing was a thing before I have no idea how I passed inspection for 2 years straight.

Oh and this isn't one of those "friendly inspector" threads. Not looking for anyone to give out the shop they go to. I really just wanna make sure I'm good for 2016.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

everything is still the same as far as the testing procedure, the state is just making more money by not having to print stickers
Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your car will be OBDII tested. No sniff, just plug and play.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Teching In

It all depends on where you are located. Some of the smaller counties don't have any emission reading and don't plug anything up which also makes for a cheaper inspection fee. For example I have no cats so I don't worry about emissions and the inspection process only cost $7.00
Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost
It all depends on where you are located. Some of the smaller counties don't have any emission reading and don't plug anything up which also makes for a cheaper inspection fee. For example I have no cats so I don't worry about emissions and the inspection process only cost $7.00
I'm in tarrant county and it costs the full 40 bucks or so. Just didn't know if they previously did emissions. Either way I'll worry about it next year and have an exhaust shop put on cats.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit2000
I'm in tarrant county and it costs the full 40 bucks or so. Just didn't know if they previously did emissions. Either way I'll worry about it next year and have an exhaust shop put on cats.
Nope its $26 and only an obd2 test + safety. I've never failed except for worn out tires and for tint and my car hasn't had cats in over ten years
Old 08-08-2015, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Nope its $26 and only an obd2 test + safety. I've never failed except for worn out tires and for tint and my car hasn't had cats in over ten years
if you want to get around the window tint just roll the windows down and pull the relay/fuse, they can't fail you for window tint if they can't see it and your windows aren't required to be operative to pass so as long as you don't have tint on the windshield or a stripe under the as1 line you should be good
Old 08-08-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by neutron82
if you want to get around the window tint just roll the windows down and pull the relay/fuse, they can't fail you for window tint if they can't see it and your windows aren't required to be operative to pass so as long as you don't have tint on the windshield or a stripe under the as1 line you should be good
Yeah because most inspectors were born yesterday. I've never heard of some one pass like that it's not worth an inspectors license
Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah because most inspectors were born yesterday. I've never heard of some one pass like that it's not worth an inspectors license
neither is ignoring the fact that you got away with no cats for over 10 years but you got your sticker right?... I'm not saying I would do it but I have seen people pass in instances like that many times... I don't miss doing states on older cars at all, too much liability and drama from people trying to get their cars passed... I'm lucky enough to only have to state brand new cars, easy peasy
Old 08-09-2015, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea. Lot of drama w the asm n tsi inspections. But if don't do em only limited to 150 obd2 a month.
9/10 places check the tint n visually inspect for cats or leaks in exhaust pipes or damaged muffler boxes.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by neutron82
neither is ignoring the fact that you got away with no cats for over 10 years but you got your sticker right?... I'm not saying I would do it but I have seen people pass in instances like that many times... I don't miss doing states on older cars at all, too much liability and drama from people trying to get their cars passed... I'm lucky enough to only have to state brand new cars, easy peasy

Yeah I've had more than a few people including myself try that over the years and they always say no. One time replacing the motor and regulator I left the windows put of the car (because technically it doesn't say you need side windows ) and they still refused because on the test box it specifically asks for tint level. Falsifying state records and such

I've never had anyone visually inspect anything other than to make sure my tail pipes went out far enough from the rear axle. I've had them ask and always say I'm running some high tech in line setup which is a prototype and therefor why there is no check engine light.

The only time I've really been upset after failing was when I specifically went up there and talk to the tech about everything, him saying yep everything looks good, only to come back and fail me saying the tread on the tires were under spec.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I've had more than a few people including myself try that over the years and they always say no. One time replacing the motor and regulator I left the windows put of the car (because technically it doesn't say you need side windows ) and they still refused because on the test box it specifically asks for tint level. Falsifying state records and such

I've never had anyone visually inspect anything other than to make sure my tail pipes went out far enough from the rear axle. I've had them ask and always say I'm running some high tech in line setup which is a prototype and therefor why there is no check engine light.

The only time I've really been upset after failing was when I specifically went up there and talk to the tech about everything, him saying yep everything looks good, only to come back and fail me saying the tread on the tires were under spec.
you know what is even more ridiculous is that you aren't even required to have a windshield but you must have windshield wipers... technically once you start the test you are supposed to finish it regardless if it passes or fails so he was probably telling you it was ok so you would leave him alone so he could finish then there's nothing you can say, either pay of you don't get your keys... if I could see that something wasn't going to pass before I even pulled the car in I would do what I felt was right and let them know beforehand and give them an opportunity to either let me fix it or get it fixed elsewhere and bring it back... I really am glad I don't have to do asm/obd tests anymore so I don't have to deal with people wanting to argue about it
Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I had a place in Richardson who said my windows were too dark... Offered the dude $40 cash and he checked the block... Some people can be bought. Just sayin.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not seeing any requirement for operative windows. I'm no lawyer, but seems pretty clear to me...
Attached Thumbnails State Inspection Question-screenshot_2015-08-19-16-58-38.png  

Quick Reply: State Inspection Question