I though 02 SS's were fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I though 02 SS's were fast

I went out today and test drove an 02 Red Anniversary Edition SS auto, bone stock except for a flowmaster muffler... I was looking to get this for my G/F and new they were pretty good cars since almost all of my friends have them.. The car is very nice looking and only has 36,250 miles on it.. I drove it all around arlington and got on it from a dig up to about 85-90mph and this thing felt like a turd... It bearly spun the tires off the line and it didn't even scratch any of the gears.. Is there something wrong here?? Am I missing something??? I though these cars were suppost to be fast.. Maybe that is why this person traded it in, I don't know... But it surely didn't feel very strong to me.. Maybe its because I drive a modded Mach1 that is fast.. Tell me what you guys think.. Is there something I'm missing here or what???
Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

there ok they are like 13's second cars dan but dont forget my 01 beat u out at the track lol i ran 8.50's stock out at kennedale
Old 10-04-2005, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

well my stock z28 M6 would light up the tires very easily. It was the main problem trying to run. I know this depends on tires though (they were hoosier somethings (street tread) 245)
It sure felt fast to me, but then hp got addicting
Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eric01ss
there ok they are like 13's second cars dan but dont forget my 01 beat u out at the track lol i ran 8.50's stock out at kennedale

Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh that hurts...
Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dan Thought is with a TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.....
Old 10-04-2005, 07:21 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by eric01ss
This was no 13 sec. car thats for sure, 14's yes 13's no... When ever you want to run me heads up at dale let me know.. I only ran a slow 7.85 out there last time N/A pulling the front left tire off the ground a little bit..
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The previous owner probably took it easy. The computer will relearn a new driver after a few drives!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Once you delete torque management, it wakes it up a bit. Atleast it did for mine.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is you experience just with Mustangs? The reason I ask this is because one time I met up with a friend who had a GT, and we both gave each other rides in our cars. Now, my car was hands down faster. (01 SS M6, I looked at the speedometers during the WOT runs and mine was obviously moving faster)

But his GT had gears, short shifter, some other little baubles and man, did it feel a HELL of alot faster then the SS. I mean, that car bucked, it snorted, it would throw your head into the headrest and do all the stereotypical muscle car things. I just don't think it would put down the times like it would.

Now you drive a modded Mach 1, right? I'm not familiar with those cars, but I know they were faster then the GT's stock and in the decent 13 second range. Actually, now that I look at your sig, you have a drag equipped. 4:30 gearing, nitrous huffing Mach 1 equipped with a whole bunch of other go fast goodies.

Okay... I think I figured it out. Anything is going to feel slow compared to that. Your probably jaded because of the Mustangs driving characteristics. My advice would be to not drive the mustang for about a week, then jump into the Camaro and see how it feels.

Otherwise, good luck with the purchase if you decide to go with it. It's scary buying used F-Bodies, you never know what they might have been put through. I got lucky with mine.

BTW, what was the asking price on that car?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackZ28
The previous owner probably took it easy. The computer will relearn a new driver after a few drives!
Werd. That is also very possible if it lived a charmed life. My engine didn't feel like it broke in completly until the 50,000 mark, believe it or not.
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
FBodies had torque management?
Automatics have torque management.
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morbid
Once you delete torque management, it wakes it up a bit. Atleast it did for mine.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes it did, and still do, for the ones that are on the road.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Is you experience just with Mustangs? The reason I ask this is because one time I met up with a friend who had a GT, and we both gave each other rides in our cars. Now, my car was hands down faster. (01 SS M6, I looked at the speedometers during the WOT runs and mine was obviously moving faster)

But his GT had gears, short shifter, some other little baubles and man, did it feel a HELL of alot faster then the SS. I mean, that car bucked, it snorted, it would throw your head into the headrest and do all the stereotypical muscle car things. I just don't think it would put down the times like it would.

Now you drive a modded Mach 1, right? I'm not familiar with those cars, but I know they were faster then the GT's stock and in the decent 13 second range. Actually, now that I look at your sig, you have a drag equipped. 4:30 gearing, nitrous huffing Mach 1 equipped with a whole bunch of other go fast goodies.

Okay... I think I figured it out. Anything is going to feel slow compared to that. Your probably jaded because of the Mustangs driving characteristics. My advice would be to not drive the mustang for about a week, then jump into the Camaro and see how it feels.

Otherwise, good luck with the purchase if you decide to go with it. It's scary buying used F-Bodies, you never know what they might have been put through. I got lucky with mine.

BTW, what was the asking price on that car?
I don't just drive Mustangs, I do drive some of my friends Z28's and SS's every once in a while so I do know how they drive.. BTW I just got the N20 so I haven't even squeezed it yet.. The asking price was 19900 but I got them down to 18800 because it had some curb rash on the wheels not much but some, someone put the jack in the wrong place under the front driver side finder and bowd it out some, no big deal that happens all the time.. The interier was very clean except for what looked to be a Copenhagen stain on the carpet behind the driver seat, and what looked to be a small bit of yellow paint on the back seat driver side.. Everything else was in perfect looking condition.. All stock.. From what I could see.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Ive noticed that too with my friends 95 head cam 5.0, Ive even driven it and it seems to throw me back a little harder than my car, even though we raced and I closely beat him.

Ive noticed a car always feels faster when you're in the passenger seat though.

me and that friend both gave each other rides and we both said it felt like the other persons car was faster than our own.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

since when did a modded mach1=fast? i guess "fast" is all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigSteele
Ive noticed a car always feels faster when you're in the passenger seat though.

Yes that is true because when your driving you know when you are getting on it so you prepare for it .
Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

just saw it was an auto, so forget what I said about me chirping tires, although my friend with his stock WS6 auto never chirped his when it shifted that I can remember
Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigSteele
just saw it was an auto, so forget what I said about me chirping tires, although my friend with his stock WS6 auto never chirped his when it shifted that I can remember
That's how mine was until I deleted torque management, like I stated above. It'd get sideways on the 1-2 shift after that.