AAAAARRRRRRGGGGH SES light AGAIN!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAAAARRRRRRGGGGH SES light AGAIN!!!!!!

I moved to the Dallas area about three months ago, and on the drive here from Florida, I had my first ever SES light on my car. I took it into a mechanic and had the codes pulled, which showed lean on bank 1 and two. I looked around the engine and eventually, with the help of the guys over at LG, I found the problem. I had a leak in a hose running to the side of the MAF. I pulled the section the was cracked, and replaced it with a similar sized piece we salvaged from the shop. For the next week or so, the light went away, and I put in a new lid. About a week after the lid install, the error came back. I went to Autozone and had them check the codes for me (They do that for free, which I didnt know up to this point.) and it was showing the same error. My thought: Ill just go ahead and replace the same hose with the correct part from the dealer.

I go to the dealer last week, and they inform me that the hose is part of a bigger hose, which will cost me 95 bucks! DAMN. I go ahead and buy it, thinking that, ok, well mebbe itll take care of it. My buddy and I spent like four hours trying to get the damn thing on, and finally, after two evenings of cutting our hands, bruising out forearms, and a lot of cursing, we get it on. (The hose in question goes from the passenger side of the MAF all the way around the engine to the back of the manifold, where it goes into a little hole that is nearly impossible to get to without taking all kinds of stuff off the engine, but we finally got it on) I remove the battery terminals to reset the compy and drive the car all weekend to see if the error returns. No dice, all is looking good.

This morning my wife tells me she is gonna need her car for the day, and wanted to know if I would mind driving the Formula to work. Nope says I, and off I go to the office.

About 45 minutes into the drive, the SES lights up again. I havent gone to get the codes yet, but im willing to bet its the same as before.

Im pissed at this point.

Any tips where else to look at this point?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had my AIR pump go out and this code was what was thrown. I replaced it with on off of e-bay . I also end up having a hole in the hose a little there after. I would just go over all the EGR/AIR hoses to make sure there are no pin holes
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

My personal experience, make sure its the same P code that you got before. Autozone by me is a big load of ****. Just cause they get a code and look it up doesn't mean its right. Get the Code number (like P1300) and search here for what it Actually is. I might be wrong but they have screwed me up twice.

Good Luck!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

SIGH

I almost dont wanna go to fair this weekend, caus she sounds sooooo bad, and I dunno if Ill be able to get it fixed before then.....
Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On a side note. If the car runs fine and and you are not seeing any problems other than the damn SES light on. I would guess its probably just a screwed up AIR hose. in this case the car from my experience is ok to drive. Like I said though just check all the hoses that would be my first thing
Old 10-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Could the new lid cause this?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsherrill
I had my AIR pump go out and this code was what was thrown. I replaced it with on off of e-bay . I also end up having a hole in the hose a little there after. I would just go over all the EGR/AIR hoses to make sure there are no pin holes

You serious? Theres an air pump??
Old 10-10-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed that you have an '02 I am not sure if the AIR system is on the '01-'02's it was on the '98-00's In fact I dont think it is. So forget what I said DOH!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsherrill
I just noticed that you have an '02 I am not sure if the AIR system is on the '01-'02's it was on the '98-00's In fact I dont think it is. So forget what I said DOH!
Not a problem...

So is there a list of all the hoses I might need to replace somewhere? Id actually replace every damn hose in the engine compartment on the off chance theat I miss it or something, if I had such a list.....