So, I failed inspection because of a broken hi-beam headlight and a non-working horn.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So, I failed inspection because of a broken hi-beam headlight and a non-working horn.

I have to replace the clear plastic contacts, or whatever the **** they are, behind the driver's side airbag. Where can I get those pieces? When I replaced those, can I just remove the airbag fuse and not worry about it "accidentally" releasing. I know there are certain requirements that have to be met before the airbags are deployed but better to be safe than sorry. Stupid *** Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Thats nothing, I watch a lube place fail a brand new car because they said her wiper blades were too old. then right after that the stupid place failed my truck because they said I had a hole in my muffler, the only hole I found was the size of a pencil. Needless to say it was cheaper for me to just go spend another $40 at another inspection place (which passed me) then spending 100 for a new muffler.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FastTrackDF82
Thats nothing, I watch a lube place fail a brand new car because they said her wiper blades were too old. then right after that the stupid place failed my truck because they said I had a hole in my muffler, the only hole I found was the size of a pencil. Needless to say it was cheaper for me to just go spend another $40 at another inspection place (which passed me) then spending 100 for a new muffler.
Yeah. I was thoroughly pissed off. I asked for leniency, to which he replied, "They could get fined $500 if they did that to a DPS officer." Blah blah blah. This is going running over $50 to get fixed, although I don't mind replacing the headlight, I just would've done it later. I probably never would've fixed the horn, though.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Ok. I took out the airbag fuse and disconnected the battery. I put the two plastic switches in the rubber slots and connected the black negative to the only removable screw that's a little bit to the upper right of the center. I reconnected the battery, but the horn is not working. I checked the cigar/horn fuse, too. It's good.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

This is exactly why I hit up hole in the wall inspection places. All these other places fail you for the stupidest reasons. They once failed me too because of a small hole in my exhaust. Then they pointed out a lug nut I was missing. From then on, I have never taken it to a place that looks half way decent. I shop at the getto when it's time to get my car inspected.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thebatman411
This is exactly why I hit up hole in the wall inspection places. All these other places fail you for the stupidest reasons. They once failed me too because of a small hole in my exhaust. Then they pointed out a lug nut I was missing. From then on, I have never taken it to a place that looks half way decent. I shop at the getto when it's time to get my car inspected.
I have learned my lesson. Pablo will be seeing me at his shops henceforth.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow shoot someone for doing their job. i am not saying my truck is leagal but you are complaining about a damn horn and head light. if your **** worked then you would not have a problem. we dont make the rules the STATE does. i am no angle but i make my truck pass with someone else inspecting it weather i have to change the exhaust or put fake cats on it. but you are complaining about little things. think about it, someone inspects a car that dont pass and they get caught. not only does the shop get fined but the person will also. so think about that is it worth it to the inspector to pass a car and barely make anything off it when he risk getting fined. i love failing people that get pissed off or give me an attitude for little things i could care less i make my truck legal for the time being then do what i want after.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
wow shoot someone for doing their job. i am not saying my truck is leagal but you are complaining about a damn horn and head light. if your **** worked then you would not have a problem. we dont make the rules the STATE does. i am no angle but i make my truck pass with someone else inspecting it weather i have to change the exhaust or put fake cats on it. but you are complaining about little things. think about it, someone inspects a car that dont pass and they get caught. not only does the shop get fined but the person will also. so think about that is it worth it to the inspector to pass a car and barely make anything off it when he risk getting fined. i love failing people that get pissed off or give me an attitude for little things i could care less i make my truck legal for the time being then do what i want after.
That's the point - they're little things. So, you're saying a cop HAS to issue a citation to everyone that commits a moving violation? Well, they don't.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is there purogative (sp) he also has the ability to issue a warning. not trying to argue with yuo, but you admit they are little things and i dont see why it is such a big deal i could see you being mad if it was something like tires but even then if you fail for tires then you need new ones. so if he let you pass you wouldn't fixe the stuff for a while. what are u gona do when someone is about to back in to you and you dont have a horn?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
Look at it this way...since when has a defective horn and a messed up light cause pollution. Who needs a skinking horn when I have an exhaust that sounds like a monster. Honestly, I use my exhaust when I get pissed off at someone....kinda funny. Anyway, back to my point....I understand that you're required by law to make sure that all cars pass tree hugging laws. And I understand you can get fined for letting people get away with a lug nut missing. But honestly, you can turn the cheek when it comes to certain things. If you see a lug nut that's missing or if you see a small hole in an exhaust, you can always say that you thought it checked out ok.
In my opinion, I think shops are picky because they want to keep your money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the problem isn't corrected in 2 days then you keep the customers money, right?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Look at it this way...since when has a defective horn and a messed up light cause pollution. Who needs a skinking horn when I have an exhaust that sounds like a monster. Honestly, I use my exhaust when I get pissed off at someone....kinda funny. Anyway, back to my point....I understand that you're required by law to make sure that all cars pass tree hugging laws. And I understand you can get fined for letting people get away with a lug nut missing. But honestly, you can turn the cheek when it comes to certain things. If you see a lug nut that's missing or if you see a small hole in an exhaust, you can always say that you thought it checked out ok.
In my opinion, I think shops are picky because they want to keep your money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the problem isn't corrected in 2 days then you keep the customers money, right?
Another guy there told me 15 days. But, still, it's already costing me at least another ~$60. I'm never going to that ******* place again. Ever. I want to whoop his ******* *** for this UNNECESSARY cost. I have gone for almost two years without a horn, and the crack in HI-BEAM headlight occurred recently. That's another thing - it's a HI-BEAM.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look at it this way...since when has a defective horn and a messed up light cause pollution.

If you see a lug nut that's missing or if you see a small hole in an exhaust, you can always say that you thought it checked out ok.

Horns prevent many, many accidents.

No, you can't. That would mean you did a shitty job and you can be cited, fined, or have your license taken away (i.e. lose your job).

I don't know what the hell you're talking about keeping money and two days. you pay $39.50 for the test regardless of pass/fail and you never get it back.

failing cars only creates more work. it's a job that makes a lot of money, and to get it shutdown could put the owner out of business. people are only doing their job, just comply with the law and quit bitching about it. When you bitch about "getting failed" like it's intentional, offer to pay the inspector's bills if he happens to lose his job when he "let's one slide..."
Old 02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thegreenbullitt
Horns prevent many, many accidents.

No, you can't. That would mean you did a shitty job and you can be cited, fined, or have your license taken away (i.e. lose your job).

I don't know what the hell you're talking about keeping money and two days. you pay $39.50 for the test regardless of pass/fail and you never get it back.

failing cars only creates more work. it's a job that makes a lot of money, and to get it shutdown could put the owner out of business. people are only doing their job, just comply with the law and quit bitching about it. When you bitch about "getting failed" like it's intentional, offer to pay the inspector's bills if he happens to lose his job when he "let's one slide..."
Assuming he gets "caught."

"It worked when I tested it."

Yeah, it must've stopped working subsequent to the inspection.

PERIOD.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Assuming he gets "caught."

"It worked when I tested it."

Yeah, it must've stopped working subsequent to the inspection.

PERIOD.
There are undercover "shoppers" that bring cars in, knowing that they should fail. Not everyone can risk losing their job.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thegreenbullitt
There are undercover "shoppers" that bring cars in, knowing that they should fail. Not everyone can risk losing their job.
I'm not DPS.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Horns prevent a lot of accidents my ***. I don't know what world you live in but I've been in several accidents and I've never encountered a horn to be much use. Like I said previously, I use my exhaust as a horn or this

Anyway, no sense in arging about this anymore. It's a never ending debate. Just take your money to Paco or Jarome from now on. They'll take good care of you.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Horns prevent a lot of accidents my ***. I don't know what world you live in but I've been in several accidents and I've never encountered a horn to be much use. Like I said previously, I use my exhaust as a horn or this
I guess that explains a lot. My horn saved me from some highschool **** swerving into my lane a couple days ago.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

I checked for continuity to ground at both horns - there is. I haven't checked for voltage, yet, but since there is continuity, there should be voltage. So, is the relay is bad?

Quick Reply: So, I failed inspection because of a broken hi-beam headlight and a non-working horn.