Help for a friend, does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a friend, does this sound right?

I have a friend that has a Honda CRV 2005 4 wheel drive. She complained about the car in low gear, low speed, giving her a jerking sensation. After a couple weeks of this, she took it into the Honda dealership and at first the guy said its probably dirty fluid in the transfer case and it will be 80 bucks and he will replace it. The next day the guy calls and said what did you hit because the transfer case is busted and it leaked all over our dealership floor, the part will be $1400.00 and the total with labor will be $2100.00 for 6 1/2 hours of work. Now, she has never noticed any fluid dripping on her garage floor and never remembers hitting anything. He also said it would probably been un drivable in a couple of days, which also doesn't make sense, if she has been riding around like this for a couple of weeks, but she did say it got progressively worse after the last couple of days.

I told her this sounds bogus but don't know much about 4x4's and imports, but any of you with any knowledge, does this sound right? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds like a load of bs. Maybe you could go up to the dealership and take a look at the damage they are claiming. But, don't call them in advance, just show up.

If the case were busted and leaking, it would have leaked before they started working on it.

BTW, its a 2005 and no warranty left?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

they said the warranty doesn't cover it because they claim she ran over something, voiding the warranty,

I am trying to see if I can go or atleast get her to take a picture, at any rate, I also told her, to take the suv elsewhere for another estimate, and not another dealership
Old 03-24-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it 4wd or AWD? On my tacoma, the seal around the driveshaft went out and all the tranny fluid leaked out. Seized the tranny up but had no ill effects on the transfer case. As long as she's in 2wd the transfer case shouldnt have anything moving in it.

Also didnt the transfer case have some kind of skidplate under it? I dont see how she could have hit something and missed the tranny and skidplates but cracked the casing on the transfer case.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chadtx01
Is it 4wd or AWD? On my tacoma, the seal around the driveshaft went out and all the tranny fluid leaked out. Seized the tranny up but had no ill effects on the transfer case. As long as she's in 2wd the transfer case shouldnt have anything moving in it.

Also didnt the transfer case have some kind of skidplate under it? I dont see how she could have hit something and missed the tranny and skidplates but cracked the casing on the transfer case.
it is an AWD, but from what I have read, it doesn't sound like it powers the rear wheel all the time, it only powers then if it senses slipping in the back.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

also, transfer cases are typically higher than the axles, about even with the tranny. Not sure how you could hit one and not the others.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

I am trying to get more info, but from what I have read, it sounds like the transfer case is connected to the tranny and it is more in the front position of the car, the guy said the problem is in the rear??
Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does she remember hitting anything that hard? I can see how the transfer case could be the cause of the problems but she would have to knock the living **** out of it to crack it.

I am suprised too that theres not any kind of protection for the tranny/transfer case. I cant tell you how many times i set the truck down on the transmission and never had any problems like that. I know its a honda and a toyota but still. I would go look at another CRV and see if it has a skidplate and then call bs on that dealership.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

That is what I am saying, she would have owned up to it if she remembers hitting anything. Are dealerships known to cause more trouble than really whets going on? I know I wouldn't put it past the Ford dealership in Conroe, but that's another story. How is the reputation on Honda dealerships?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really it depends on the dealership. With my tacoma, the dealership replaced my alternator twice, my radiator, my ac condensor. They bitched but they ended up replacing it.

I replaced the tranny out of pocket just because I didnt feel like dealing with them. But considering how new it is, I would take it to another dealership and see what they say. At worst, she'd have to go to arbitration with Honda. Honestly, they should fix it.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it over to David Mcdavid Honda. They seem to be alot better than most of the other dealerships. I have a friend that works over there.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

who is your friend, that is where the suv is now
Old 03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

I talked to the mechanic, it soundsl like there are two transfer cases, seems kinda strange to me, but anyways, the rear one is connected to the rear dif, and it has a hairline crack about 1 1/2 inchs - 2 inchs long, causing it to leak dif fluid, he said they had to replace the whole transfer case, at a whooping $1400.00, and 500 for labor, sound about right?

Anybody know where I can get parts for a honda? I know the delearship has a mark up on the transfer case, probably about half...
Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant understand why there are two transfer cases. That makes no sense to me. If I were you, I would still go have a second opinion.

Take it home, put some fluid in it, see if it runs fine or acts up. If it comes down to it, I would have a 2 inch hairline crack patched up before I dropped over 2 grand.

I would definately have someone else look at it though.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, when he told me there were two, I was a little confused, I am no master at awd by any means, but something didn't sound right
Old 03-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by orion565
I have a friend that has a Honda CRV 2005 4 wheel drive. She complained about the car in low gear, low speed, giving her a jerking sensation. After a couple weeks of this, she took it into the Honda dealership and at first the guy said its probably dirty fluid in the transfer case and it will be 80 bucks and he will replace it. The next day the guy calls and said what did you hit because the transfer case is busted and it leaked all over our dealership floor, the part will be $1400.00 and the total with labor will be $2100.00 for 6 1/2 hours of work. Now, she has never noticed any fluid dripping on her garage floor and never remembers hitting anything. He also said it would probably been un drivable in a couple of days, which also doesn't make sense, if she has been riding around like this for a couple of weeks, but she did say it got progressively worse after the last couple of days.

I told her this sounds bogus but don't know much about 4x4's and imports, but any of you with any knowledge, does this sound right? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Of course this is BS. I am not going to even go into the horror stories I've had w/ dealerships. I am so tired of being hustled. Thats how the make their profit is to BS people into stuff they don't need. My wife had a Honda Civic and we found a place on FM 1960 called Burden Honda. They are very honest and reasonable with their prices which is rare these days. I'd go get your car ASAP and take it to Burden and see what they think.