RPM troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RPM troubles

I know alot of people who have had work done at RPM and i have seen threads with people exclaiming how happy they were with RPM. i wish my experience would have only been the same.

my experience started when Fastech closed down. i went on a search for the next shop to work on my car. i talked to lots of people and read x2 as many threads. after talking to them i decided to try RPM. with my first call to them i was quoted $600 for a ram clutch. this seemed high so i did some research and found ram clutches for 389 at one of the sponsors. when i called back i talked to lydia who qouted me 439, 359, or 489(i dont remember exactly) wich was much better than my previous quoted and i know the shop has more mark up because they have bills to pay. after the 2nd phone call i had prepaid for clutch and slave because i was also having the clutch stuck to the floor issue.

a week or less goes by and i get a call back from lydia letting me know my parts have come in. after a short talk we schedule my car to be worked on. i get off work early the day i am supposed to take my car down so i can get to them before they close, i live and work in arlington and they are lewisville (25ish miles maybe more). the next day i get a call telling me the car is ready. i get off work early again and go to pick up the car. i pay my bill and have conversation about what i want to do next wich is nitrous and fix the leaking rack and pinion. i leave and make it 2 blocks before i have to turn around and take the car back due to the vibration coming from the car. after talking and test driving the car(wich i would have thought they did before they called me) they tell me the clutch must be out of balance. they said they drove the car but didnt notice the vibration because they drive such radical cars the vibration didnt seem odd. we decide to leave the car so they can balance the clutch and do the rack.

i get a call the next day saying the car is ready. so i leave work early again so i am able to pick it up. we talk and they tell me i need an alignment and the vibration is fixed. i make it 2 blocks down the road again and the vibration is same like nothing had been done. i take the car back and they test drive it again and see the vibration is still there. brian tells me it will be ok to drive the car. i drive the car for a few days and work out something so i can drive another car. i take the car back to them on a wednesday afternoon because i got off work early again to take it to them before they close. i drop it off on a wednesday and tell them on phone calls and when i drop it off that i dont need the car and lets get it fixed. also since the last time they had my check engine light comes on (codes p135 and p155 or soemthing, the numbers are right not sure about the p). lydia calls me and tells me its my o2 sensors and they will be about $70 each to replace. i say lets get it fixed and we end the call. no one else calls me till saturday at 2:00 pm to tell that my car is ready.

i get a few things done and call my friend to help me get it picked up. i decide i better call them back and find out what time they close and find out on saturday they close at 3:30 and not 6 like the rest of the week. i tell them i cant make it by then and they say keith and another guy are staying late so no problem just nobody bothered to tell me. we get there and keith tells me and my friend the machine shop just didnt balance the clutch correctly and they admitted to it. after a walk around the shop we go for a drive. the vibration is about 70% gone but its still noticeable. i take the car because there is nothing that can be done at that point on a saturday.

i drive the car for the weekend call them on monday and tell them the vibration is still there, the check engine is back on giving the same codes, and one day at lunch it started popping out of 2nd as i would release the clutch it would just come out of gear. we schedule it for the following week. i take it back i am starting to get alot of bad feelings about how my car is a pain to work on. nothing of this sort is said but everything i have to say isnt likely and everyone they talk to said no. i leave the car with bad feelings and just like i am getting the run around. brian rode with me and says he feels the vibration, chris jennings had come up and drove the car. i rode in his car and felt a similar vibration on decel as my car has on decel but he is car did not have the same vibration my car does when in the 3500 to 5000 rpm range.

RPM never said no they would not do stuff to fix my car. chris was very easy to talk with and i am sure he knows how to fix a trans. the problem i have is what he told me was pretty much different than everything that RPM told me. i finally got tired of dealing with them and just the headaches i was getting from them about it. i called them after they had the car for a day to find out what was happening. i found out nothhing had been done and brian had changed his mind on how he was going to approach fixing the car. they still dont believe the vibration is anything abnormal and they never paid the vibration any attention because they drive such radical cars they dont notice it. i decided i would just pick up my car and asked them to check out check engine light.

it starts getting close to 6 so i call them back to find out what happened with the check engine light. brian gets to the phone and tells me the check engine light is on from the car being set to run in closed loop(could have been open, i do not know much about tuning). i asked him if last time did i need my program altered or if it was the 02 sensors and he told me that when you cam a car your 02 sensors will almost always go bad. i have had a cam in my car for well over a year and the check engine light did not throw these codes before. 2nd if it was from being in closed loop or whatever how come it never threw those codes also. so i ask him how its going to cost me to set it to the correct setting and he said he would do it for free(after 150 dollars in 02 sensors i am thinking i didnt need in the first place).

i take my car home vibrating but at least the check engine light off. later that night i am going to get some food and low and behold my check engine light comes back on. what do you know the its the same codes plus a couple new ones p1133 and p1155 (not sure on the codes but they are still showing).

i am currently at the point where i am so frustrated with my car and RPM's inablility to fix my car i made this post. i know they have done alot of cars that run hard. i have been beat by cars they work and i have beat cars they work on. but i have no customer satisfaction and get nothing back fromt them but a car with more problems than when i took it to them

synopsis: RPM cant fix my car even though they messed it up.

i will proof read and edit this when i get home. leaving work very soon.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that this customer's car was at our shop and he is the one who made the decision to take the car as it is. We have been nothing but helpful to him in trying to 'fix his problems'. We have been on and off the phone with RAM, the machine shop who balanced this clutch, and Jennings on numerous occasions trying to resolve everything. Mike Norcia @ RAM is sending a brand new pressure plate to us to put in the car. This is what we were waiting for when Doug says that we had not touched his car. We cannot fix a problem if we do not have anything to fix it with. Doug is the one who declined for us to do this. I can understand his frustration, but we are having the same frustrations as well, while losing money at the same time. We did not tune this car either, so as far as the tuning issues he has, we cannot help those unless the customer would like us to retune their car, which Doug did not want us to do.

I dont want this to turn into a he said, she said battle. Doug obviously is unhappy with us, but it cannot be said that we did not try to make this whole thing right. Even when all of the problems he is having are not directly a fault of RPM. Now, we do sell RAM products, so I understand that we are liable for that aspect, but we do not make the parts and we do not balance clutches. We installed this clutch and the install is 100%. I feel for Doug for sure, but again, he is the one who declined our help on this matter.

I hope you get this resolved Doug.

-Lydia@RPM
Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doug just take it back and they WILL get it right I promise.. Don't make this another Fastech issue I know how picky you are with your car.. FWIW Kirk kinda had the same issue after his cluch install on his ZO6 with the textrallia set-up and RPM resolved it so don't worry...

Brian
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Launching!

i have taken it back and its not resolved, the 4th occasion wich is the 3rd time to be fixed i declined repairs.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's "Which" .. So you declined a new pressure plate ?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Launching!

4th time, brian didnt really want to do it. he didnt order/contact ram for the preasure plate till i was sitting in there waiting room. he seems to think my shift forks and syncros are out and that is causing my vibrations. he wanted to take out my trans, look at fixing it, put it back and see if there is vibrations. if there was he was then going to take it back out and do the preasure plate. after i talked to chris and chris talked brian he changed his mind but never told me till i called them yesterday at 4pmish

Last edited by silver01z06; 03-31-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
It's "Which" .. So you declined a new pressure plate ?
Its a spelling lesson now?
If he didnt get it fixed 4 times now he should go to another place and have them take a stab at it right? You did this with Sean and his tune on your car.
When you were told to take you car back to Sean you had the same attitude as Doug.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to let you know I too have a slight vibration when I had a clutch put in but Jason at Texas Drivetrain performance installed it I think certain comforts have to be tolerated when modding a car , not saying that is the case but think about it you went from a stock clutch to a agressive one... Just a thought..

Last edited by mellowyellow; 03-31-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam88Gta1
Its a spelling lesson now?
Go back to your hole Sam.. No its not just looks like with when I read it..
Old 03-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Launching!

its not a slight vibration though
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Go back to your hole Sam.. No its not just looks like with when I read it..
So you need to read a little better then he needs to type.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well I don't know what to tell you other than give them a chance to fix it again or cut your losses.. I know its frustrating but you have to do something and I'm sorry you are having problems..
Old 03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam88Gta1
So you need to read a little better then he needs to type.
Na read a little slower I think..
Old 03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

they ordered you a new pressure plate and you declined? Sounds to me like they were trying to resolve the issue. I can understand that it can be frustrating, but they were working towards making it right. Sounds like the clutch was a defect, which is not RPM's fault.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Launching!

you live around the corner from me, come over and drive the car and give me your opion. i would really like a strong rpm supporters opion
Old 03-30-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver01z06
you live around the corner from me, come over and drive the car and give me your opion. i would really like a strong rpm supporters opion
My post was to explain that it sounds like they were working towards resolving the issue with the vibrations. I'm just going off what I've read b/c I have no info besides that.

Edit: Oh you were talking to Mellow Yellow, my fault.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bring it by ..
Old 03-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Launching!

how long you going to be up? and i dont know your address, my car is in the driveway with a white suburban if you can come by
Old 03-30-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be up for quite awhile.. from where you live go left on silo left on valleyspring left on pinehill right on moss hill 1st house on the right with the white mini-van..
Old 03-30-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let them put the pressure plate in and if that doesn't fix it then go from there. It doesn't hurt to try the pressure plate. If they didn't have the parts or were trying to come up with idea's on how to fix the problem then I can see why the car would sit. I need stuff fixed on my car and if I were to take it to RPM right now it would sit till they could figure out what's causing the problem and get the parts. That's pretty much what went on with your car when it sat up the shop untouched. Give the pressure plate a try