anyone ever torn a rotator cuff (sp?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever torn a rotator cuff (sp?)

cuz i did and it hurts like hell.... got the sling and everything....
Old 05-17-2006, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

yes. get surgery. i should have. my shoulder is still not the same even after physical therapy.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

i gotta get an MRI before they go ahead and commit to surgery. i hurt it a few years ago playin ball but it never really hurt like this..... i'm sittin at work last week and pick up a stack of 23# cylinders (about 138# total) and lift it odd and pop goes the shoulder and i'm down for the count. now they're saying i might have to get the surgery and what-not. atleast chics dig scars!!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I dislocated my shoulder the first time (left) playing Will under a scrum for a fumble. I had surgery and it healed fine. I dislocated my (right) shoulder training for a fight I had a few years ago (MMA) and couldn't afford surgery at the time (was in college) and it never hearled right. I still can't sleep on it and it will act up a lot of times just out of the blue. I'm still thinking of having it looked at after 2 years of dealing with it. Get the MRI and take whatever advice you get to heart. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i blew mine out lifting before and went threw all the steps, thearpy, mri's, surgery, more thearphy. it still kills on some days but is atleast better and have full flexibility. it defiently isnt a fun process getting back to normal afterwards.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

i've heard that the rehad after surgery is a bitch.... i guess after two ACL replacements the rehap can't be all that bad. thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine hurts everyday and trying to sleep with my arm under the pillow streched out hurts like hellllllllllll. I went to physical theropy and had the steriod injection but it is starting to hurt again.

I think mine was done from time growing up in skateboard and bmx tournaments as well as trying to throw a baseball or football to far.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

i think i hurt mine a long time ago playing football, i remember one particular instance when i nailed it and it swelled and hurt for a week or two. but both shoulders hurt when playing football anyways.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had shoulder surgery and came out great. Rotator cuff tear , detached bicep tendon and torn superior labrum - basically trashed my right shoulder . The rehab was ok , knee rehab was worse imo . Now my right shoulder is stronger than the left , although there is some hardware in there now. Just do your research on orthopedic surgeons and you'll come out ok.
On a side note: I would'nt go too long with a known RCT because the torn part of the rotator cuff will turn into scar tissue and that part of the muscle will atrophy making it harder if not almost impossible to repair.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Launching!

dont skip on the rehab do your "homework" ive had 6 surgeries on my left knee and 1 surgery on my wrist. my knee does ok but my wrist is still fubar.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Angus
Mine hurts everyday and trying to sleep with my arm under the pillow streched out hurts like hellllllllllll. I went to physical theropy and had the steriod injection but it is starting to hurt again.

I think mine was done from time growing up in skateboard and bmx tournaments as well as trying to throw a baseball or football to far.
steriods will only make it worse. it would strengthen the muscle around a weak rotator, puting more pressure on an unstable shoulder.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

any way to tell if i have torn my rotator cuff without going to a doctor? i tore my should up 3 years ago and i thought it healed, but about 2 months ago i started lifting real heavy (getting ready for spring break), and now its still hurting.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am almost done recovering from a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. It sucked wore the sling for 4-5 weeks going back to the doc tomorrow to see if im good to start lifting again finally.

Kyle I would just go get it checked out by a doc because when I first tore mine I figured I would just leave it alone and it would heal by itself right? wrong I just kept re-tearing it whever I used that arm.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

How can you tell if you actually tore it? I hurt my shoulder last year, right in the joint, hurts to lift or move in almost any direction after. Last year tearing down my Mom's house after Rita destroyed it, was swinging a 12 lb sledge that sorta got away from me. They MRI'd it but still not sure what the outcome is, Ortho surgeon wants to give me a cortizone shot which I guess is fine if it fixes the problem, doesn't sound like it'd fix a tear though.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My roomate just had the surgery for this. Recovery time was quick and he says it doesn't hurt so bad now.

They slinged him up post op, and gave him a stress ball for circulatory purposes. Now he has a surgical tubing resistance device he has to use to make sure he retains full range of motion, but it seems like a small price to pay.