Fort Hood???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fort Hood???

I am looking to come back into the Army soon.....I have been working overseas as a contractor for a lil over 2 years now.

I have discussed this with the wife and she is all for it. I have choosen Fort Hood to be my next duty station......

If anyone can, could you guys let me know what the scene is down there, maybe some pics of what the post looks like....Family housing and such or shoot me some web links.

I went to FortHood.com and it's an ok web site, just doesn't say to much about on post housing......

Pics, Posts, Links....What ever you guys got or could show me, email me which ever......

Email address is:
Neil.Dunning@gmail.com
Please Title Email as "Fort Hood"---That way I dont think it's spam or something.

Thanks in Advance to everyone.....Peace

Neil
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are coming to Hood within the next couple of months more than likely you are going to Iraq. And Killeen is ghetto, with cops all over the place handing out tickets. On post housing is ok.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
And Killeen is ghetto, with cops all over the place handing out tickets. On post housing is ok.
Sounds the same as I left it back in the '80's !
Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Killeen is way GHETTO. Get on post housing and never leave post. j/k

I was stationed there late '95 to middle of '99 and was recently back up there for a couple days. I thought it was bad when I left... it's even worse now.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ft Hood is the last place I would want to be stationed if I went back in. I was a 19K there for 3 years, and it just got worse each year. Had to go back down for a re-eval a year or so ago, **** that. I'd rather be stationed in Greenland.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TWS
Killeen is way GHETTO. Get on post housing and never leave post. j/k
Even that was not the best back then. Hopefully they have built new ones.
I lived in Copperas Cove and found that almost as bad. I ended up moving to near Lampasas and commuting every day ........
Old 05-26-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parts of Killeen are pretty ghetto.. Your not too far from Austin, and Lake Belton is right there. Try www.killeen.com. Theres a rinky-dink racetrack about 15 miles from Hood in Temple.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hood sucks, always has and always will. Killeen is a pit full of G.I. dives, stay away, far away.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the posts guys.....I will and now am thinking of somewhere else to go.....Thanks again....Hoah.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I just returned from Afghanistan and just left Ft. Benning Ga...
What is your MOS?? I too tried to go back active Duty... but was not "favorably considered". Too much rank on my chest(ACU;s) i am an E8 1Sg.. & my Primary is 11B... "Now 11Z with the promotion.." If you are Medical,Transportation,MLRS,MP's,Civil affairs you may get picked up..

I will tell you that E7-E9 are NOT being favorably considered @ this time...

Ft. Carson Co. is nice... You could alway do the "Germany thing"..

Good luck & get ready to pack your bags soon... I spent 1 year in Afghanistan and am also a Gulf war veteran... My unit is looking to MOB sometime in 07 to Iraq...

I'll retire after that as a CSM somewhere...

Good luck...
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Killeen is way GHETTO. Get on post housing and never leave post.

LMFAO
Old 05-27-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Schofield Barracks in Hawaii is nice, my brother inlaw is there now with the Rangers, it would be my first pick. Germany would probably be my second choice if I hadn't already spent 2 years there. Like Top said what's your MOS? that will determine which bases you can go to. Mine was 67Y, had to go to the bases where the Cobras were.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Live in austin, make the 30 min commute. Trust me.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Schofield Barracks in Hawaii is nice, my brother inlaw is there now with the Rangers, it would be my first pick. Germany would probably be my second choice if I hadn't already spent 2 years there. Like Top said what's your MOS? that will determine which bases you can go to. Mine was 67Y, had to go to the bases where the Cobras were.
I'm at schofield now and I'll tell you that its nice here but with plane tickets to DFW costing 900 round trip and limited leave it sucks so much *** to be stuck on this ****** rock for such a long time. It gets soooo damn boring here. AND they closed down the track, even when it was open there was no time board so you couldnt see what anyone was running which takes half the fun out of it. The command here is also SUPER fucked, everyone is a damn private and anyone thats got some rank doesnt care enough or cant get **** fixed.

edit:also, the privates here are fubar'd, a couple of the guys stayin in the infantry barracks beat down a cop and didnt even get a field grade, just some extra duty and confinement to their barracks for a week or two
Old 05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Wow that sucks !!! As I said my brother in-law is there with the Rangers but he is the regimental commander so he probably sees things alot differently than an enlisted man would.

Originally Posted by 1gen
I'm at schofield now and I'll tell you that its nice here but with plane tickets to DFW costing 900 round trip and limited leave it sucks so much *** to be stuck on this ****** rock for such a long time. It gets soooo damn boring here. AND they closed down the track, even when it was open there was no time board so you couldnt see what anyone was running which takes half the fun out of it. The command here is also SUPER fucked, everyone is a damn private and anyone thats got some rank doesnt care enough or cant get **** fixed.

edit:also, the privates here are fubar'd, a couple of the guys stayin in the infantry barracks beat down a cop and didnt even get a field grade, just some extra duty and confinement to their barracks for a week or two