Once again... Chuck, Dan and HPE RULE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Once again... Chuck, Dan and HPE RULE!!!

I don't know if y'all remember the story of me flooding my Camaro in the champion forest area, but anyway I gave Chuck at HPE my car to get a new motor. It took a couple of months and I was rushing Chuck in the end to give me my car back (I had to have it before my wife started school). So I got it back on Sunday - yes Sunday, a special trip by Chuck, and man is it nice! Also, props to Dan for working on my car on his Saturday off!! Before I left the store Chuck made me aware that the tuning wasn't quite right, but I had to take it so that I could get to work. So it dynoed at 385 rwhp and Chuck says that it should be doing a lot better than that. And I noticed that the idle wasn't quite right. To make this already long story short, Chuck happily took my car in today at a moments notice and is going to try and tune it correctly! By far the best customer service I have experienced, and I have been around to a few shops. The thing about Chuck too, is that he is not snobby, he treats you like the guy next door, very respectful - heres another one to you Chuck!

Oh yeah and my gas mileage was between 12 and 14 mpg

List: (Chuck correct me if I'm wrong on any of this)
- Stock LS1 short block with the exception of forged pistons
- LS6 heads (non-ported)
- S-Cam
- Ported TB
- Ported Oil Pump
- Double Roller Timing Chain
- MSD Plug Wires
- NGk Plugs
- New Z06 Clutch
- and all the good bolts and gaskets

Like I said earlier, it made 385 but Chuck believes It could be higher with the current set-up and even better if I would drop the flow-tech long tubes and get some kooks on there.

Chuck you're awesome!!!

Last edited by anLS1x2; 08-16-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

i must have missed the flood part, how bad was it?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

I ended up putting a rod through the wall of cylinder #1. A truck was going a little too fast in about a foot of water and ended up pushing a wave up into the front of my car and that's all she wrote. Only a little water got into the driver side of the floor board mostly in the back seat.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

385? On which dyno and what other mods do you have? That is Loooowwwww for a forged/ls6 heads/s-cam car if its on a dynojet.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xaon
385? On which dyno and what other mods do you have? That is Loooowwwww for a forged/ls6 heads/s-cam car if its on a dynojet.
Yeah that's why Chuck was saying it should be higher than that. He didn't act very pleased with the result. It was on the dynojet.

I forgot to list the underdrive pulley and long tubes. Also have lid and cut-out.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

I got the car back this morning and it runs sooooo much better. My gas mileage is back up and the idle is much smoother. Sometimes when I come to a light it still idles kind of high, around 1200-1300. Chuck said that the TPI sensor must have stuck and was causing all of the problems. So he replaced it and now it runs nice! Way to go Chuck!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Teching In

That does seem pretty low especially for LS6 heads. I have heard of some cam only "S-cam" car making 430 plus.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

did you get it redynoed?

that is low, but if it is running better it might it sounds like your dyno should improve as well
Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think that he re-dynoed it? Once he figured out that the sensor was stuck, replacing it was all he needed to do to get it back to me. I would like to know what it should truly dyno at. I think Chuck is tired of dealing with me though LOL!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to hear they took care of you!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Well I just got back from dinner at Pit Stop BBQ out here in Bellville, and I decided to get on it a little for the owner who is an old mustang builder (did some projects with Carol Shelby). So I got on it and HOLLY COW! Yeah I don't think my car is doing 385 to the wheels, It feels more like 485!!! It let loose and wouldn't stop letting loose! Thanks again Chuck! WOW!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, glad your happy with it. Bring it back by if you'd like me to redyno it for you sometime.

Chuck
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I'll take you up on that offer Chuck! I would like to see what she can really do!