7.400 pushrods used, when 7.350 where needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.400 pushrods used, when 7.350 where needed!!

Here is my situation.... I got a head/cam package with all the extras (with 7.400 pushrods) and I didnt trust myself enough to instal it. So I had a local shop with a good reputation do it. The instal went good but once the car heated up I started to hear tapping. I took it back and the guy at the shop told me it was my lifters. He said it was because of the high RPMs of the cam and it was a freak thing since I have the small cheatr cam. So he tore the engine apart and swapped out the lifters. He also told me that the 7.400 pushrods where too long and he changed to 7.350.
Before the original instal I asked him if 7.400 pushrods where good and he said he thinks so but will check it during the instal to make sure. I dont think he ever did check it. Would having 7.400 pushrods be the reason my lifters went bad?

Also... once I got the car back after the instal of the new lifters I drove it home and had no oil pressure. The car sounded like a dissel and I knew something was wrong. What could he have done to cause me to have no oil pressure? Maybe pieces of the lifters got stuck in the oil pump?
I am just trying to find out if these "freak accidents" where the result of this guy not checking if my pushrod length was good.

Thanks for any info.
Logan
Old 11-02-2006, 05:25 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the guy broke the oil pressure sending unit when pulling the manifold to swap the lifters. Did it have pressure when you brought it in? Did he fill it back up? You'd be suprised.....

New lifters will take a few minutes to pump up with oil, and he should not have had to remove the pump, or even the front cover, to swap the lifters.

Next time, bring it somewhere REPUTABLE in the LS1 world.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Please tell me more about the oil pressure sending unit. Broke as in... have to replace... or fixable.
And yes I did have pressure when I brought it in and the fluid level was good.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit77383
Please tell me more about the oil pressure sending unit. Broke as in... have to replace... or fixable.
The oil pressure sending unit is right behind the intake manifold, and points up at the cowl. If you follow the brake booster hose to where it connects to the manifold, you will find it sticking up and in between the hose and the back of the manifold.

When removing the manifold, you need to lift the booster hose over the sending unit or it will break off. You can buy a oil pressure sending unit socket and unscrew/replace it if it is indeed broken. Search the external section, you'll find 1000 threads about it being broken.

The 7.4 pushrods were correct if the heads were unmilled and you're on stock rockers.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

unit is under the back of the intake IIRC.... just replace it.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

auto zone got the part?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

even if they dont, its not super super expensive... i think $15 or $20 at the dealer.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a new one that im trying to unload. PM me if intrested.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

auto zone got the part?
You'll need to remove the intake again to install that bad boy. It also takes a special socket which i keep in my tool collection.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I bought the socket and I didnt have to remove the intake.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, removing the intake when you have the socket is a waste of time. I broke one, kept the intake on, removed the old one, and installed the new one.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

About to swap the sending unit out. The wierd thing is that the car was driving perfectly and then after about 5 min of driving it turned to crap and the oil pressure dropped. Is this sending unit control the oil pressure or does it just recieve information for the gauge?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm... that sounds bad.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

that gauge has nothing to do with what the car does. its just a guage. the pcm doesn't read it. if the car is not normal it's not the oil pressure gauge. I couldn't drive it till you replace it. If it still no oil pressure your going to have pull the motor.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
11Second Club

I'm confused. What exactly does the "oil pressure sending unit" do? Is it a solenoid that somehow controls the oil pressure or just a sensor that feeds the oil pressure gauge in the gauge cluster? I mean, since the oil pump is on the crank, it obviously isn't something that can be "controlled" by the PCM.

I'm a newb.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the oil pressure sending unit just sends the signal to the gauge, if the sensor is bad, the gauge wont work, that's all, it's not gonna make your engine have no oil pressure
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
You'll need to remove the intake again to install that bad boy. It also takes a special socket which i keep in my tool collection.
it's $65 from the dealer. I thought you could get to it with just the special socket and a short extension
Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Teching In

5 minutes down the road the oil pressure drops and it sounds like a deisel and you guys are pointing at the oil pres. sending unit...you guys are nuts...sounds like some **** got in your oil and took out some bearings...not so common of a problem in ls1's, but happens to lt1's all the time...new power on old parts=problems sometimes...tell me at least that the cam wasnt used, right? if it was it could have already been torn up and taken out your bearings in the process...sucks to be you logan

btw-this is james, i sold the t/a you have bad luck w/f-bod's by the way, remember when you switched off your elect water pump and blew a headgasket RIGHT after we got the mcleod in there....DAMN

-james
Old 11-04-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

As stated previously above the oil pressure sending unit is just that, it's a sending unit. All a sending unit does is send a signal to gauge that's all, has nothing to do with setting oil pressure. Also as stated above you do not have to remove the intake manifold to change out the sending unit unless it's broken off at the block. It's fairly common that after a cam change where the engine has sat static for some time a lifter won't pump up. I would suspect you may have an issue with the oil pump it's self.