My Trans Am is dismantled..... until spring?? This sucks... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Trans Am is dismantled..... until spring?? This sucks... what to do?

Well, he K-member is out..... engine is out, ac lines are out, pretty much just an empty hole in the front and a nice 9 inch in the back.

I am definately considering putting a tubular K -member in it..... I would like to find a used one so that I can roll the car around for the meantime.

What do you fellas do to fix the sickness in your stomach of seeing your car in pieces??
Old 11-13-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mines been in pieces since the end of september and even tho its an hour away at my parents house right now, im almost tempted to throw a stock motor in there just to drive it. The longer I wait to put it back together, the bigger I can build it...but I just dont know how much longer I can wiat.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Mines been in pieces since the end of september and even tho its an hour away at my parents house right now, im almost tempted to throw a stock motor in there just to drive it. The longer I wait to put it back together, the bigger I can build it...but I just dont know how much longer I can wiat.

mine is 45 minutes in my mom's backyard..... I spent the evening yesterday pullin the heads and intake off..... really sucked. The motor is in a truck in my garage. I have much bigger plans... I think i need some buddies to take me for a few rides in there car as a fix everynow and then.

who's game???
Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont wana ride in anybody elses car, im just want to get my own back rolling again.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I dont wana ride in anybody elses car, im just want to get my own back rolling again.

i could always drive the wife's car... but after going mid 11's...... low 13's just aint the same!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
Well, he K-member is out..... engine is out, ac lines are out, pretty much just an empty hole in the front and a nice 9 inch in the back.

I am definately considering putting a tubular K -member in it..... I would like to find a used one so that I can roll the car around for the meantime.

What do you fellas do to fix the sickness in your stomach of seeing your car in pieces??
You disassemble the broken pieces and wonder what the hell happened and possible causes of why...You'd learn alot.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
You disassemble the broken pieces and wonder what the hell happened and possible causes of why...You'd learn alot.
car spun a rod.... it is apparent.. pistons look good.... cylinders/heads/valvetrain looks top notch...

car had oil. Pump was not shimmed. lack of good oil pressure on a high compression setup along with someone missing a gear caused a spun rod bearing.... didnt take sherlock holmes to figure that one out.

I dont take that short filter stuff for more than a few grains. It was definately lack of pressure and a missed shift.

Live and you learn.

I have never missed a gear on the hose..... i shift to slow for that. That is what happens when a "racecar" driver who knows how to get ever last bit of ET out of a car takes it for a spin. I am not blaming anyone but myself. It just sucks.

Anyway, what headers did you recommend? I am selling mine... need some 1 7/8 size ones. Edelbrocks??
Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

so are you talking **** about someone driving your car and blowing it up?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
so are you talking **** about someone driving your car and blowing it up?

NOPE.... no **** talkin here. Car wouldnt have "blown" up if it had enough oil pressure for the way it was setup..... missing a gear is not enough to cause a rod bearing to spin.

Missing gears all the time would be enough to wear down a bearing..... not one time.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

car had oil. Pump was not shimmed. lack of good oil pressure on a high compression setup....
Cant have good oil pressure when you are a quart or so low on a short filter...The oil capcity would be 4.5 qts roughly. The longer filter would have made the total capacity 6 qts of oil and therefore ~1 qt less would be 5...Without the oil capacity being full to the brim causes air to be pumped through the screen very similar to the scenario of drinking through a straw and your drink is nearing empty and sucks air when it is done....

I dont take that short filter stuff for more than a few grains.
This is where your hard headedness and ignorance shines Mike whether you want to listen to the right things or not.
Live and you learn.
You havent learned yet..Thats the problem. You wont take what I or anyone else in the know...You always want to question my knowledge and believe everyone else thats got very limited knowledge on the subject.

I have never missed a gear on the hose..... i shift to slow for that. That is what happens when a "racecar" driver who knows how to get ever last bit of ET out of a car takes it for a spin. I am not blaming anyone but myself. It just sucks.
You were playing with fire in the get go...mis shifts happen. You were too hard headed to run a window switch in the first place..I told you that when you first brought the car over...You install a fresh top end on a set of old abused rod bearings...It was a recipe for disaster that was a waste of money. You have never done anything the correct way but very few things...You always half *** ****. You couldnt even diagnose your garage door opener dude! I plugged in one wire and the wife was ecstatic again to have her door back!

Anyway, what headers did you recommend? I am selling mine... need some 1 7/8 size ones. Edelbrocks??
I recommend you consult whoever it is you listen to and that is building your motor. I dont know ****, never have known ****, and dont care to help. You dont listen and then talk **** when my back is turned.

Last edited by V6 Bird; 11-13-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sooooooooooo....this thread went to **** pretty quick.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

that sucks bud..... that sucks.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Cant have good oil pressure when you are a quart or so low on a short filter...The oil capcity would be 4.5 qts roughly. The longer filter would have made the total capacity 6 qts of oil and therefore ~1 qt less would be 5...Without the oil capacity being full to the brim causes air to be pumped through the screen very similar to the scenario of drinking through a straw and your drink is nearing empty and sucks air when it is done....

This is where your hard headedness and ignorance shines Mike whether you want to listen to the right things or not.
You havent learned yet..Thats the problem. You wont take what I or anyone else in the know...You always want to question my knowledge and believe everyone else thats got very limited knowledge on the subject.

You were playing with fire in the get go...mis shifts happen. You were too hard headed to run a window switch in the first place..I told you that when you first brought the car over...You install a fresh top end on a set of old abused rod bearings...It was a recipe for disaster that was a waste of money. You have never done anything the correct way but very few things...You always half *** ****. You couldnt even diagnose your garage door opener dude! I plugged in one wire and the wife was ecstatic again to have her door back!

I recommend you consult whoever it is you listen to and that is building your motor. I dont know ****, never have known ****, and dont care to help. You dont listen and then talk **** when my back is turned.
Talk ****?? to whom? I am willing to bet that most would agree that the car tanked cuz the mis-shift and the lack of oil pressure. Car needed a shimmed oil pump and fuel pump. Like you said.. it was bound to happen on a 108k mile car. Hell.... the car was not in the best shape engine wise and you know this... so do I ... but i kept adding parts. Mike I dont see where you are comming from. I have not argued about one thing. I am not bitter towards you.... I am just pissed about not having a toy around. My plans have gotten bigger and better. I have a reputable builder (Erik Koenig) who I plan to have build the 408/L92 head engine.

I just dont see all that much about the freakin truck filter..... but hey, I am sure you know more than I do..... seriously. Kinda like the TR6's stuff..... I am sure your way is better..... but you dont often hear people blowing motors from stock filters and tr6's ya know. Not trying to be stubborn or argumentative.

as far as a window switch... I have never read or heard a good story about combining ZEX kits with MSD WS's.... most say they dont work the same. This is why I wasnt spraying the car when the clutch and tranny had issues. I had that fixed by TDP and since everything was gravy. Mis-shifts happen. Sometimes a clutch assembly gets hot and things dont go into gear...... like they say... **** HAPPENS.

as far as ignorance..... I read, listen, learn..... then question everything. It is a habit and apart of my everyday business to do so. I have not done anything completely wrong........ except for buying a small cam, weak nitrous setup, a few attempts at a BS exhaust setups til I got that one down right, and some heads that you feel where bunk, yet proved on the dyno to be worth 30 horses.

I think the only thing we argued about was the flow numbers on the heads.... I said he didnt correct the tables on the PC and the bore was listed as 4.80 or so... and you said he flowed em at that bore... only Gunnar really knows.

So in short...... pull the string between your legs..... and go get a beer! No one is bitter over here.

Last edited by WizeAss; 11-13-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Mike... you know anyone that wants to buy those relocation brackets....

trying to get my hands on as much cash as possible. I will take 63.00 bucks for them.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

David has no reason to lie to me.

Anyone have any experience with WB02's on a FAST system. thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why are my responses not showing up.. that i post back?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

David has no reason to lie to me.

Anyone have any experience with WB02's on a FAST system. thanks.

what I told David is what I am telling you now.

I said it sucks..... I said it was cuz of oil..... and I said the car missed a gear... plain and simple..... as far as talkin behind your back and ****..... may have done that for a few nights after it happened to my wife and father in law...I bitched to them about hotlapping for the second pass...and them calling me to tell me where it was...... Now it is all good. I am stoked about my plans. Just tellin it like it is bro. You do the same.

It is all cool know. Hell... ask Matt... he knows what was pissing me off the most.... It was the fact that I was not behind the wheel when it happened ya know.

You know how you woulda felt in this situation.... you woulda gotten over it just as fast as I have....... if you choose to be a dick about it, you're gonna be the only one.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

mike, i think your problem is how you talk to ppl. you DO act like you know this stuff and talks alot. i remember when i first met you, i got the impression about you knowing all this ls1 ****. im sure you know more than i do thats for sure.

when you ask questions that you dont know and then when you get the answer from somebody else(hutt0) you ALWAYS argue!!! that **** ppl off. you do the same **** over ls2.com

about talkin **** about HUTTO, you told me on Wendsday night @ the arlington GTG
all i asked you about your new setup and car. then here was your reply..

"hutto thinks that spark plug gives HP"
"i think Tr6 is a great plug; itz 2 steps colder than stock and itz enuff for my setup and hutto thinks that itz POS or something"
"he doesnt know what hez talking about and i quit listening to him."
"he thinks he knows everything and he really doesnt"

somewhat exact quotes from you. remember??
Old 11-13-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TX_SS
mike, i think your problem is how you talk to ppl. you DO act like you know this stuff and talks alot. i remember when i first met you, i got the impression about you knowing all this ls1 ****. im sure you know more than i do thats for sure.

when you ask questions that you dont know and then when you get the answer from somebody else(hutt0) you ALWAYS argue!!! that **** ppl off. you do the same **** over ls2.com

about talkin **** about HUTTO, you told me on Wendsday night @ the arlington GTG
all i asked you about your new setup and car. then here was your reply..

"hutto thinks that spark plug gives HP"
"i think Tr6 is a great plug; itz 2 steps colder than stock and itz enuff for my setup and hutto thinks that itz POS or something"
"he doesnt know what hez talking about and i quit listening to him."
"he thinks he knows everything and he really doesnt"

somewhat exact quotes from you. remember??
that was specifically regarding the TR6's.... i told you it was enough for what you where working with.... your quotes are out of context... all that was specifically regarding the plug bro.... give me a break!

Never said he doesnt know ****..... just said I have read enough to vouch for TR6's..... that was it.

Your Engrish must b mess'd up er sumptin?

ya i know that was below the belt! lol
Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

back on topic.. hey David... wanna borrow my nitrous kit for a few weeks and chump change??

one condition.... roll 2 deep on Wed night.