Question for Houston mountain bikers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Houston mountain bikers

I just recently got into mountain biking about 2 months ago. i'm looking for some good trails. I'm looking for intermediate to advanced trails. I go to the one on Memorial (by Picnic Lane) all the time. I'm getting bored of it, so I need a new challenge.

Also, has anyone gone to the John Brooks Park trail? I hear a lot of mixed responses about that trail. What are yall's opinion?

I have the entire week off so, I'm gonna go biking all week. Thank God for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Terry Hershey park

it's flat, but a nice long trail. runs from beltway 8 to highway 6

http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trai...20Bike%20Trail
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

well if you were closer to me i could recommend a few places, some pretty good trails around here that i used to ride quite often lol, need to get back in shape and start doing it again. would really love to get back in good enough shape to go ride the trial at Moab, Utah again that was some fun riding

If you feel up to i highly recommend the trails in Moab, some of it is downright scary, some crazy downhill slopes you have to do down, also its all on sandstone so if you go down its like sliding on sandpaper, i didnt fall but my dad did and he got torn up pretty good
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, Terry Hershey's about all you've got; try the Ant Hills, they're about as good as it gets in flat 'ol Houston.

If you're going to go for something like Moab, try Durango, Colorado instead .

Tom
Old 11-19-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Memorial has the best trails in Houston...sorry. Go to the back of the park its called Laos or something like that, has some pretty challenging drops through the Bayou. (Ive busted my *** there)...

The best in Texas is in the Austin City Park. I also like to go to the Canyon Lake area and Lake Travis. Nice hills and great trails there....Houston is very limited....Terry Hersey blows for offroad riding but is a great place if you looking to ride 12 miles on paved trails.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Jack Brooks park off of 2004 between I-45 and Highway 6. When coming south on I-45, take the Dog track exit, go to the right getting on 2004 (not 1764 - easy mistake). go about 4-5 miles, you'll see the entrance to the park on your right. Enter the park, go to the T, make a left, go to the dead end. You'll pass a memorial for Veterans on your left on your way. Unload and get after it! Some pretty serious trails (not alot of verticals-but challenging). have fun.....
Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

I know we're an hour and a half away, but Lake Bryan has some decent trails, I think about 10 miles or so. Also look into Bastrop, I've heard of some there.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.theanthills.com

I'm a beginner myself, and the Ant Hills were pretty challenging. My friends have been to many different places and they both like the Ant Hills. Not the most challenging, but lots of roots, drops, and some fun stuff.

What kind of bike did you buy? What kind of bikes do you guys have?

I have an 05 Gary Fisher Marlin.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went to jack brooks yesterday. Some parts are pretty cool an easy but there are a lot of turns, steep drops, and big *** roots popping up all over the place. We rode for about 2 hours. Make sure to wear a helmet and possibly jeans. Fun as hell though. I only fell off once and ran into the brush about 3 times. It's definitely fun.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jack Brooks is for a novice bike rider. I think by the way I rode yesterday that I'm still a beginner. My buddy did a lil better, he has a 05 Cannondale Scapel and I have an 06 Cannondale F600. Make sure you got a Camelpak or fluids to rehydrate yourself. Next time I'm wearning a football helmet and shoulder pads hahahah j/j
Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LawHorn
Jack Brooks is for a novice bike rider. I think by the way I rode yesterday that I'm still a beginner. My buddy did a lil better, he has a 05 Cannondale Scapel and I have an 06 Cannondale F600. Make sure you got a Camelpak or fluids to rehydrate yourself. Next time I'm wearning a football helmet and shoulder pads hahahah j/j

A friend of mine (who is fairly experienced) wiped out hard when we road the anthills. He tried to get some speed on a drop, but it was muddy and he nailed a rut the wrong way. He grabbed a tree, racked his *****, and then watched his bike crash down while he held onto the tree. It was about a 30' decline. Funny, but painful I'm sure.

Ryan
Old 11-20-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to start riding again, Hershey seems good, right by my house. I ride a Gary Fisher
Old 11-20-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96-speed
www.theanthills.com

I'm a beginner myself, and the Ant Hills were pretty challenging. My friends have been to many different places and they both like the Ant Hills. Not the most challenging, but lots of roots, drops, and some fun stuff.

I'm riding a Specialized Enduro. So far no complaints about the bike.

Today, I decided to go to Jack Brooks for the first time (thanks for the advice guys). Man I must have got on the advanced trail cause that **** was hard as hell. I had a nasty *** fall. I was about to go down hill, but midway I got discouraged because of the nasty *** roots below. So I accidently hit the front brakes instead of the back and I got tossed off my bike. Man, I was in some serious pain for a whole minute. I couldn't get up. It was horrible.

Throughout the trail I was like, "when the hell is this damn thing going to end". It's hard to finish a trail after your confidence is gone, when you're injured, and tired as hell. After I finished the trail, I noticed the map which showed the beginner, intermediate, and advance routes. i wish I would have seen it before entering.

Anyway, damn good trail, but next time I'll have to try the intermediate route.

Word of advice from my dumbass: Try not to go to an unfamiliar trail on your own.

Last edited by thebatman411; 11-20-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

Get your basic skills down before you even attempt anything remotely difficult.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trails a Jack Brooks are great, there's always someone out there maintaining the trails.

Here's the yahoo group for the trails. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...brooks_trails/
Have you been on http://GHORBA.org/trails

Last edited by Tootall; 11-21-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dam i didnt see the different levels either. Joggernut/ Hell were my favorite.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Launching!

aren't there trails off of cypresswood just east of the cop station? i always saw cars parked up on the curb and bikers back in those woods.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96-speed
www.theanthills.com

Hey, where do you typically park at when you go to the ant hills? I was checking out the website and there seems to be several entances. Give me some details as to steets and buildings to looks for (i'm bad at directions). I've read directions from other websites, but I can't make sense of them. I want to hit the ant hills this weekend. Anyone interested in biking?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by A&M drty brd
aren't there trails off of cypresswood just east of the cop station? i always saw cars parked up on the curb and bikers back in those woods.
Here's the directions if you're interested in going:

Take I-45 south to the FM2004 exit (Gulf Greyhound Track). Turn right after the track and follow FM2004 about 3 miles to the park entrance on the right (across the highway from the Hitchcock Elementary Scool). Follow the park road to the "tee" and go left. You'll end up in the parking lot. Most local bike shops have a map of the trail (sort of).
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm def interested, I just don't think I have the bike for the anthills. If you look on their website you see some heavy duty suspension bikes w/ beefed up tires and rims. Like some Gary Fisher's etc etc. I have a cannondale f600 and it weighs a whopping 27 lbs. I on the other hand weigh 225lbs. I see some dented rims and a possibly broken frame if I were to make some of those jumps. I guess I just could avoid certain parts of the trail, but what fun is that.