computer help....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default computer help....

How can i hook up my laptop to my TV, so that I can see my desktop etc on my TV.... i got an S vid cable and hooked it up to my tv.... but dont know how to synchronize the two......
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

there should be a button or option for video-output on your laptop. that should do it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

i have managed to see only my background on my tv... but dont see my icons/start button etc..... when my mouse is not visible on my laptop it IS visible on the TV.... how can i "synch" them so that whatever i see on my laptop is also on my TV.....?????
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

hm thats odd... what type of laptop is it? mac? pc?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

pc....
Old 02-22-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

go to properties on desktop and make screen smaller
Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

This I think is going to get to complicated to do with out knowing what windows are you running and what video card you are running.

Bassically you need to right click go to properties and then the screen tab(last one not sitting infront of a pc right now) you may be able to sellect what you want here and basiccaly you need to set it to mirrior your desktop on the second output or make it the defualt. But I think you will have to go into advanced to find this. Right now I bet if you moved the mouse all the way and off to the right of your screen your mouse would show up on your tv. Right now your tv is acting as an extension of your desktop. Some vidieo cards have more setting then others on this.

You will most likely have to change your resolution to get it to fit on your TV but I dont think that is the problem you are having just yet.

If you need more help you can pm me and maybe I can get on the phone with you to help you out.

Gregg
Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless your tv has pc capabilitites you wont be able to do it, only the newer tvs can do it...or at least thats what ive heard
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by greggvh
This I think is going to get to complicated to do with out knowing what windows are you running and what video card you are running.

Bassically you need to right click go to properties and then the screen tab(last one not sitting infront of a pc right now) you may be able to sellect what you want here and basiccaly you need to set it to mirrior your desktop on the second output or make it the defualt. But I think you will have to go into advanced to find this. Right now I bet if you moved the mouse all the way and off to the right of your screen your mouse would show up on your tv. Right now your tv is acting as an extension of your desktop. Some vidieo cards have more setting then others on this.

You will most likely have to change your resolution to get it to fit on your TV but I dont think that is the problem you are having just yet.

If you need more help you can pm me and maybe I can get on the phone with you to help you out.

Gregg

everything that youve described is correct... i am able to see only my desktop background pic on my TV; AND whenever i move my mouse all the way to one side the mouse appears on my TV and not my laptop.....

Im not home now, but whenever i get home i'll try the advance options....

Originally Posted by osvaldo
Unless your tv has pc capabilitites you wont be able to do it, only the newer tvs can do it...or at least thats what ive heard
Im using an S-video cable to hook it up to my tv.... its a farily old tv (@ 6 years at least) so most tv's should have the capability.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Are you the firehawk that lives out in Pearland (Houston) by any chance?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Pasadena.... but i cruise through that area.....
Old 02-23-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I sold him some Xbox games a long time ago. lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

I just see a Red firehawk in that area and I am guessing if it is you are a superman fan?

And if that is you we were side by side the other morning.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by greggvh
I just see a Red firehawk in that area and I am guessing if it is you are a superman fan?

And if that is you we were side by side the other morning.

nope not me bro.... i was at the gym @ 8ish and in school by 1030..... all on the Pasadena side.....

not a superman fan either .. lol
Old 02-23-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
i have managed to see only my background on my tv... but dont see my icons/start button etc..... when my mouse is not visible on my laptop it IS visible on the TV.... how can i "synch" them so that whatever i see on my laptop is also on my TV.....?????
Your laptop thinks your tv is your second monitor. Reduce your Internet Explorer window and drag it over to your TV.

I think you can right-click your background, choose properties, then go to settings tab. Click on screen 2. But...

I'd just keep the TV as the 2nd monitor. That way you can view 2 different windows at the same time. One on your laptop and one on your tv.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the help Ross....

the thing is.. my laptop screen is starting to go out.... and the warranty just went out on it; Just wanted to keep using it while i save some $$ to get a new one.... thats why im wanting to use my TV as the main screen BUT the laptop wont let me use it as the main screen.... IT wont let me choose the function (use tv as main screen).....