registering a salvage car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default registering a salvage car?

hey its a 02 vette penn. salvage title what does it take to register it in texas?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Launching!

I just did it with an 02 Firehwak from Katrina. In order to get a TX registration the car has to pass Texas inspection, and theres no way around it, and good luck with insurance. Your best bet in that dept is go with a collector agency such as Hagerty. Good luck, if you really love the car, then its worth it, but make sure you REALLY love it, cuz its proved to be a pain for me. Collin
Old 03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Insurance companies don't care about the title of the car i.e. clean, rebuilt, salvage. They only want the money for the premiums. Obviously the VALUE of the car will be lower if it's not a clear title. Which is great for an insurance company because they will knock down the offer price if ever totalled.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Actually, I had many companies say they would not insure it, period. I did find a few that would do it, but like you said, for a mint. Hagerty was very reasonable, $475 a year for full coverage, although with a mileage limit of 3500, but an agreed value of $22,000.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

I would imagine if you finance the car you would have problems. Financers dont like to hold liens on Salvaged titles. I'd recommend appling for a rebuilt title once you get it and what not. I think it may be an extra fee, but its well worth it to not have a bonded title.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by culhan9
I would imagine if you finance the car you would have problems. Financers dont like to hold liens on Salvaged titles. I'd recommend appling for a rebuilt title once you get it and what not. I think it may be an extra fee, but its well worth it to not have a bonded title.
Just for my info, how would one go about apping for a rebuilt title?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1Last69
I believe that it's just a bit more than just "Applying" for a rebuilt title.

To make it "rebuilt" you have to prove EVERYTHING that was repaired on the car that made it salvage to being with. For example, if it was totaled for frame damage on a unibody, then you have to have the paperwork from the body shop that did the repair.

THEN,

The car must be inspected by a state representative that specializes in issuing rebuilt titles on aformentioned car. It's not like you just goto an oil change place that does safety/emission inspections to get it done. Doesn't work like that. From what I was told, it's an extremely expensive process to change the title just becasue of the inspection process.

We ran into this problem with the 2000 Chrysler Sebring that we had bought salvage for $7k (only had 20k miles on it), and was t-boned on the drivers side pretty hard. State Farm didn't argue one bit about the whether or not they would cover it. AS state above, I don't think that they would do an "Agreed" value, but then again, we didn't ask either, we just needed the car to be legal and didn't care about it.

5 months later, our Sebring was t-boned again on the drivers side with my wife driving *D'OH!* We bought the car for $7k and we only got $5,300 from the settlement because of the title and no other reason.

It's a risk if your willing to take it.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Launching!

wow, that sux, oh well, mine was under water, so to replace everything, ...well....it all got wet, just wondering. Mine is a 1 of 24 SOM Hawk with 16,000 miles, and getting it registered here was a pain.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just register it with a builder's title. thats what you have to do if you buy an old car to restore with no title. i would assume its the same process
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1Last69
Its $65 bucks to apply for when you do the whole Texas Title application.Application Example
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Most the time from what I have seen those cars are more a pain in the *** than any thing. Plus you take such a hit when you go to sell it, most people wont ever consider buying a car with a junk title
Old 03-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Most the time from what I have seen those cars are more a pain in the *** than any thing. Plus you take such a hit when you go to sell it, most people wont ever consider buying a car with a junk title
You can take this statment as gospel, Ive tried to sell mine twice, both times I found no body wants it, a junk title makes it junk unless your gonna purely race it out or keep it forever and ever and ever.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally would never even bother with trying to buy a salvage-titled car to get it insured. i would only buy such a car if i was going to turn it into a stripped track monster that was trailered to/from the track....just too much trouble, IMO
Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

all you need to do is get a VTR-64 filled out explaining what was done (parts recipts are needed) and have the form notarized. need to get it inspected from any emission place and thats it. nothing else needs to be done.

If you neeed help PM me and I can give you details.