Dammit, I'm an idiot! Did I hurt my motor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dammit, I'm an idiot! Did I hurt my motor??

Well, I found out today exactly what a map sensor does. I was playing around with the timing settings on the MSD-6010 with my laptop and here's what happended...

Here's the scenerio before my discovery :

I have been full throttle several times on the street, ran at the track about 6 times and had 3 dyno pulls with the same timing table. It seemed to run find and it was hard to tell if it was detonating due to mainly I thought I had the timing correct at a max of 36 deg.

Here's the deal, I was monitoring the live data on my timing tonight while it was running and couldn't figure out that when I would slowly rev to about 2k, then to 3k, then to 4k I was pulling about 44-46 deg of timing.

Well, I had the timing curve set to about 20 deg @ 2000rpm and slowly advancing to about 36 deg by 6500rpm. What I did not know, is I had the map sensor set at 2 bar, but did not relize that it was set to add 6-7 deg of additional timing by certain vacuum/psi. I took it out on the street with the laptop hooked up and nailed it in 3rd about 50mph and sure enough it jumped up to about 44-46 deg of total timing!! I then turned the map sensor function OFF and just ran a mechanical advance that I mapped out.

The coupe still seems to run ok, and pulls really hard now. I can't notice any damage, but what might I have caused and how much power did I lose? Is there a certain test I can perform on my motor to make sure? Is this the reason I put down some low dyno #'s? Thanks guys!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Did it fall on it's face when you stood in it?

Pull the plugs, see what they look like.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by whitehooptie

what he said... pull the plugs.... the pretend nothing is wrong. If you did hurt something you will find out about it sooner or later.

Nice to know you have more power...... damn MAPs! I had a similiar issue with the GTP after it blew off.......
Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounded good last night man.....I want a ride in that beast when u get a chance.....
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitehooptie

It felt like ran pretty hard, it still ran 100mph in the 1/8th. My dyno results were low, only 383rwhp 325rwtq... I am taking it back to the dyno in a couple of weeks when I get my new stuff in.

Yeah, I did pull the plugs. The white part was a little red and had red spots all over the place. Not a spec of black on the plug except for the threads of the plug. ??
Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatZ28
Sounded good last night man.....I want a ride in that beast when u get a chance.....
Thanks foo, Tomarrow I am putting up on stands so I can install the t-brake when it comes in and mini tube the rear so the damn tires quit rubbing. Also gonna go ahead and weld in the lower torque boxes and install my setup on suspension. As soon as it is up and running again, well see if it stands up on the bumper.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

nice 100mph @ 1/8th
Old 03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't worry bout it too much. if it's messed up you will know asap.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vcious04
It felt like ran pretty hard, it still ran 100mph in the 1/8th. My dyno results were low, only 383rwhp 325rwtq... I am taking it back to the dyno in a couple of weeks when I get my new stuff in.

Yeah, I did pull the plugs. The white part was a little red and had red spots all over the place. Not a spec of black on the plug except for the threads of the plug. ??
definitely signs of detonation....Ive got the suspension stuff whenever you want to meet up and pay, i can do it any day this week after work.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I DOUBT YOU HURT ANYTHING.a forged motor can take some abuse.If the timming was set that high im sure you were pinging but if it was bad enough you would break the ring lands out..Good thing you were not spraying that thing it would have blown up like a bomb.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what gears you have in it? didnt you go with a turbo 350 for trans? you still should have dynoed higher but those things will eat up power. also if your rear end is still moving that will make you show less power. its being transferred into twisting the car than making it to the wheels. anyway keep working with it. you will get it worked out.