Emissions, blah!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions, blah!

So i am currently on a deployment but i am currently having my car built up for a tt aps kit, the works, forged motor, built 6, and so on.
The car is registered in California but when i get back i want to drive it to Texas and register it out there. I don't ever want to get busted for having non smog legal stuff with a Cali registered car. The car is going to be my DD for awhile until i am used to it and i can up the boost. I am pretty sure the smog laws out here are alot stiffer, and i see alot of guys in the military from Texas just take their cars and get them registered in Texas.
How hard is it to get smogged out in Texas? Any suggestions on what i should do?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zero_proto
So i am currently on a deployment but i am currently having my car built up for a tt aps kit, the works, forged motor, built 6, and so on.
The car is registered in California but when i get back i want to drive it to Texas and register it out there. I don't ever want to get busted for having non smog legal stuff with a Cali registered car. The car is going to be my DD for awhile until i am used to it and i can up the boost. I am pretty sure the smog laws out here are alot stiffer, and i see alot of guys in the military from Texas just take their cars and get them registered in Texas.
How hard is it to get smogged out in Texas? Any suggestions on what i should do?
as long as everything is tuned correctly and all the removed emmisions garb is put on standby in the pcm then you should be ok. however you may get a visual check. some inspectors just look past it.remember to get the green tag for the tax collector! btw sounds like a nice setup. send pics of the car.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you get it registered in a more rural county, there is only a safety inspection. That would be the way to go, otherwise, you definetly need to have it so that the OBD2 doesnt have any not ready codes from cats, egr, etc, and you can just try and find a place that doesnt have a pit and hope they dont look under the car. But the easiest thing to do it just register it somewhere more rural, and they shouldnt even do emissions testing.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Teching In

Yeah i am trying to avoid the visual inspection. I really would like to have texas plates on my car so that i can represent. I am going to be driving to houston, so where would be the best place to get the check done?
I'll get pics when i can, i'm not home so i will ask my buddy to send me some.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it will also help if you dont have dumped duals, since that will set something off in some inspectors heads right away.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
it will also help if you dont have dumped duals, since that will set something off in some inspectors heads right away.
yeah that may be a problem......

I'm actually going to do side exits in front of each rear wheel. I guess this is not going to be easy.......
Old 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Will you have a address in texas? If your address is in houston you will have to get it inspected in houston and they sniffer test.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88zukon36s
Will you have a address in texas? If your address is in houston you will have to get it inspected in houston and they sniffer test.
the sniffer is only for cars older than 96 with OBD1 or older comps. My car passes with flying colors she GREEN all the way.

Thomas