Houston house hunt....Kingwood and Woodlands

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Houston house hunt....Kingwood and Woodlands

Some of you might have seen some of my last posts that I'm making a move from San Antonio to Houston over the next few weeks. Looking for opinions here.

Tony has given me some great advice on some of the more desirable areas to live in (much appreciated!!). The girl and I packed up on friday and spent ALL DAY saturday and ALL DAY sunday checking out some houses we had picked out online and just driving through neighborhoods.

The ones that top the list are the Woodlands and Kingwood. I made the mistake of buying a new home in a new subdivision here in San Antonio and quickly watched the neighborhood go downhill in the last 4 years. So, needless to say, I'm looking for an older home in established neighborhoods.

I'll be working at the 45 and beltway 8 area. Everytime I mention Houston I'm told "make sure you live close to where you work because of the traffic." I've visted Houston quite a bit over the last few years but have never been there during rush hour.

So, I'm looking for the goods and bads of either from the people that live there. Advice about the area and the commutes is what I'm particularly looking for. I appreciate any advice you can offer!!

Ken
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Between the two choices above, Woodlands for sure.

#1 reason: Montgomery county.
#2 reason: 100% more things to do in the Woodlands, and it is growing

My wife grew up in Kingwood. It is nice, but freeway access sucks since the nicer homes are a few miles off of 59, and it is pretty boring as far as entertainment activities.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Between the two choices above, Woodlands for sure.

#1 reason: Montgomery county.
#2 reason: 100% more things to do in the Woodlands, and it is growing

My wife grew up in Kingwood. It is nice, but freeway access sucks since the nicer homes are a few miles off of 59, and it is pretty boring as far as entertainment activities.

As you had pointed out before, I did notice the taxes on the particular house I was looking at were considerably less. Also, I noticed that there's toll road that parallels 45 that might not be too bad in the morning commute from the Woodlands to work????

Oh yeah....how could I forget....there was an older Viper RT/10 that was gassing up next to me in the Woodlands Not a bad selling point there!!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

dude come out here to the woodalnds for sure! like tony said ton more things out here in the woodlands and its hands down a lot cleaner than Kingwood. Kingwood is still nice but montgomery county WILL NOT let houston try to take it over. They tried once and it just wont happen. 45 and beltway is about a 10 min drive from here. Yes the toll road runs along 45 but in most cases if your going to the beltway you wont need it, except if there is a wreck. Even in the mornings and afternoon the traffic isnt that bad becuase between 45 and the beltway 45 is like 5 or 6 lanes wide. if you want go to www.woodlandsonline.com they have everything about the woodlands on there. It is a lil more pricy but I can assure you anything you buy out here will be an investment. The value of the land and houses out here keep going up. Viper? out here you see lambos and ferrari's on a normal nice sat afternoon
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by the right formula
Some of you might have seen some of my last posts that I'm making a move from San Antonio to Houston over the next few weeks. Looking for opinions here.

Tony has given me some great advice on some of the more desirable areas to live in (much appreciated!!). The girl and I packed up on friday and spent ALL DAY saturday and ALL DAY sunday checking out some houses we had picked out online and just driving through neighborhoods.

The ones that top the list are the Woodlands and Kingwood. I made the mistake of buying a new home in a new subdivision here in San Antonio and quickly watched the neighborhood go downhill in the last 4 years. So, needless to say, I'm looking for an older home in established neighborhoods.

I'll be working at the 45 and beltway 8 area. Everytime I mention Houston I'm told "make sure you live close to where you work because of the traffic." I've visted Houston quite a bit over the last few years but have never been there during rush hour.

So, I'm looking for the goods and bads of either from the people that live there. Advice about the area and the commutes is what I'm particularly looking for. I appreciate any advice you can offer!!

Ken
Woodlands is a super nice area, can't go wrong there. I'm guessing 45 and the north belt area not the south belt and 45 right?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I live in The Woodlands and work in Houston and it isn't too bad at all. Having I45 and the toll road to choose from when heading downtown is really nice.

Insurance and taxes are cheaper in Montgomery county as well.

If you don't have a Realtor yet let me know, my brother is a Realtor and he found my house for me.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

check out har.com its a real good site for houston area homes.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 AM
10-Second Club

If you are looking at homes in North Point, be weary of the cheaper ones, there are some questionable builders there, I almost had a home built there last month & before I signed the contract (already picked out the lot & all the upgrades) I googled the builder & found some stuff I really didn't like. Also, after going up there at various times, I found that this was probably one of those sub'ds that would go to **** after a few years. If I were you, I would consider renting an apt. for 6 months til you learn Houston, that way you have some time to check out the areas better & better determine where you would like to live. Also, there's going to be some fallout from all the mortgage company stuff, at least that's what some folks in the financial world have told me (thus another reason I'm not having a home built right now) and that you will probably get a better deal in about 6-12 months when there are more foreclosures on the market.

But FWIW, The Woodlands is a nice place to live and there's at least 2 ways into town from there since you can take Hardy Toll road if you get word of a major delay on I-45 & it will only put you a couple miles off of 45 & BW 8.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Modsquad
If you are looking at homes in North Point, be weary of the cheaper ones, there are some questionable builders there, I almost had a home built there last month & before I signed the contract (already picked out the lot & all the upgrades) I googled the builder & found some stuff I really didn't like. Also, after going up there at various times, I found that this was probably one of those sub'ds that would go to **** after a few years. If I were you, I would consider renting an apt. for 6 months til you learn Houston, that way you have some time to check out the areas better & better determine where you would like to live. Also, there's going to be some fallout from all the mortgage company stuff, at least that's what some folks in the financial world have told me (thus another reason I'm not having a home built right now) and that you will probably get a better deal in about 6-12 months when there are more foreclosures on the market.

But FWIW, The Woodlands is a nice place to live and there's at least 2 ways into town from there since you can take Hardy Toll road if you get word of a major delay on I-45 & it will only put you a couple miles off of 45 & BW 8.
Just for ***** and giggles, who was the builder?? PM if you like.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Ken, our office is pretty much dead center between I45 and that tollway. So, both work great.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cypress is a good area too. there are quite a few people that work here that live out there. its a 30-40 min drive to work which is not bad.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I live in the Spring area . Good area I been here a little over two years now and like it.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great info as usual from you guys.

Good call on the builders info....I'll have to look into that a little more in depth.

I looked at a few houses in the Woodlands. It was kinda strange because it appeared to get a little sketchy in some areas. The one place I'm pretty serious about was around Falconwood (I think that's the street name) and the parkway. It looked like a very well developed neighborhood and not many houses for sale at all (I would like to think that's a good sign).

Aggie....don't think I looked in the Cypress area....will check that out this coming weekend.

As you guys said, the surrounding area looked great....lots of stuff to do which I like. Any info on the lake that was right off the parkway? I have a small speedboat so I'm hoping to be somewhat close to a lake (that was a draw to Kingwood).

Thanks guys....your comments are deeply appreciated!!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
10-Second Club

Lake Conroe is close to The Woodlands.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Lake Conroe (near Woodlands) is much better than Lake Houston (near Kingwood). Both are man-made lakes, but Conroe is deeper and has less stumps.

What is the max budget you are trying to stay under?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

We're beginning our search at $130K and below...I know that probably sounds pretty low for the areas I'm trying to move into, but we're looking at smaller houses (starter home size 1700 sq ft and below). Think we're going to do it like you and buy some land eventually and build our dream house. In the meantime, I want to buy a good investment home in a good area, not worry about parking my toys outside when need be, and I want Celeste to feel secure at home when I'm offshore.

And yes, I will eventually post pics of said g/f

Last edited by Big Gulp Johnson; 01-14-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Woodlands, Spring, and Conroe/Willis areas are nice.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out Legends Ranch and Legends Run off of Rayford. Legends Ranch is a gated community with houses from the $130's to mid $400's. I looked at and almost bought a few different houses in Legends Ranch but ended up across the street in Spring Creek Pines.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
10-Second Club

Cypress & the Tomball area are also nice, but most of these areas are big & there can be some areas that aren't as nice as others. Just keep posting up here, if you have questions, link up the har.com listing for the house in question, i'm sure someone here can chime in on the quality of the area.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Bad Habit Bird
Check out Legends Ranch and Legends Run off of Rayford. Legends Ranch is a gated community with houses from the $130's to mid $400's. I looked at and almost bought a few different houses in Legends Ranch but ended up across the street in Spring Creek Pines.
Yes, that is a decent area for that price for sure. Quite a few neighborhoods along Rayford Rd. My sister in law lives there. Easy access to the tollway and I45 too. Montgomery county too!