New truck (w/ pics) couple questions for you truck guys....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New truck (w/ pics) couple questions for you truck guys....

Pictures below here are my questions.

1. what's a good quality CAI?
2. What's a good exhaust, I do not want it to be loud....
3. Who does tuning here in houston?
4. other suggestions....

Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

K&N
Corsa

Nice truck! Wish I could get me a Tahoe or H3.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

mail order tuning is popular with new trucks, places like www.blackbearperformance.com or www.gowheatley.com or www.pcmforless.com. Justin at blackbearperformance has a lot of credibility on the silverado ss site.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. That's sweet looking!

The Volant is a very nice kit and makes a very noticable difference.

The Magnaflow 24" muffler wakes the truck up with minimal noise. I'm not big on loud exhausts either.

The tuning is a tough one. A quality shop like G-Force can do a great job. The mail order tunes listed above like Wheatly and pcm4Less can do you very good as well since they do a ton of similiar vehicles. Most truck enthusiasts have very similiar mods and stop prior to getting crazy unlike us F-Body fanatics

If you want to really wake it up, get the TM removed and get a mild stall converter installed. Circle D offers a budget reworked stock diameter efficient converter. It's cheap and will offer the most improvement for the $$ IMO.

Our all motor 2005 5.3 A4 JGP Silverado runs 13.7s with just tuning, reworked stall converter and the Volant CAI. It came with a Corsa exhaust, but it's a lot more $$ than you need to spend. Before this Silverado we had an identical Silverado (got T-boned and flipped over) that had just the the Magnaflow muffler and it sounded quieter and better IMO.

The TC,tuning,muffler and CAI will turn it into a totally different truck. I smile just thinking about it.lol. My Z-71 is bone stock and is frustrating to drive, but when the wife's Silverado needs gas or washed I get to drive it. Man what a difference.

G/L
Old 02-23-2008, 08:26 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. How's that for a response. I guess I rambled on bit
Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great looking truck Patrick, I'll have to check it out tonight at the meet
Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about how much would a reworked stall be?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know if you want to trade your silver interior parts for Woodgrain. Mine came with the Woodgrain from the factory and I like the look of the silver better
Old 02-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

honestly, I've had just about every big name brand of CAI and NONE of them really performed up to their cost. I ended up selling every one and just made my own with a piece of tubing and a cone filter, cheaper and pretty much same performance. Exhaust I'm not a fan of the bolt on exhausts either, I have a custom true dual mandral bent, dr. gas x-pipe setup on mine with the ability to bolt on pipes to run it out the back so its not to loud, or have it dumped so it is.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Pretty much all the CAI's work the same. I had a Air Raid on my '07 Escalade EXT. It looked and fit well. I also put a Magnaflow catback on that truck, is had a nice sound and wasn't too loud at all. Installed it myself in the driveway, just need a sawzall to get the stock one off. Took about 20 minutes.

MTI can do the tuning on them, really wakes those things up.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

I agree with nineball, tuning is the biggest thing with the trucks...just a little tuning and I don't even claim to be a tuner and mine was a HUGE difference.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
LOL. How's that for a response. I guess I rambled on bit

Thanks, good information!

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Great looking truck Patrick, I'll have to check it out tonight at the meet
I guess I left before you got there. I'll catch you on the next meet. How many cars finally showed?

Originally Posted by Bad Habit Bird
Let me know if you want to trade your silver interior parts for Woodgrain. Mine came with the Woodgrain from the factory and I like the look of the silver better
I can not stand the woodgrain trim. I have been searching for over 2 months for a vehical this exact interior with the Z71 4X4 package. Thanks for the offer though...

looks like the volant intake an the magnaflow exhaust. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

the Volant is a good looking piece for sure, to me much more appealing than the k&n type.... the magnaflow has a good sound, I've not heard it on a truck yet but the one vehicle I have heard it on sounded great...
Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

AFE with the progard 7 filter.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any CAI kit that looks good, because like the others have said, they all perform the same (which is pretty close to stock).

Magnaflow or Corsa, just depends on how much you want to spend and how you want it to look.

Wheatley lives in Katy, off Fry and Clay, so keep that in mind as he can tune you locally.

Tom
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

All the CAI's pretty much work alike. I wouldn't spend too much green on one. I personally like to use the stock airbox with a little bit of dremel modifications, a drop-in true flow filter and the Air Aid MIT intake tube. If you look at the mess of the stock intake tube with the silencer baffles, you'll see a big reason why the intake tubing needs to be replaced.

A big body Magnaflow would probably be the best bet for performance and fairly quiet. You can save some money by getting the muffler, or get the catback. Of coarse if money is no object you can go with a Corsa. I'm assuming your truck is a 5.3 with the A.F.M. so you might want to go with a catback cause I've heard some that were'nt designed for it and when the AFM cuts back the 4 cylinders it kinda sounds like crap

Just my 2 cents but not all the tuners tune trucks as well as they do f-bodies and vettes. I've used Wheatley in Katy for years now on 3 different trucks and been completely satisfied with his tunes. AFM can be turned off and torqe management at least needs to be reduced drastically if not removed completely.

As far as other mods are concerned you need to decide how rar you want to go with the truck. There's a ton of potential with them
Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Volant is by far the BEST cold air. We have tested several different types. I like the magnaflow on the truck.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any CAI will work, I like the looks of the Volant for trucks. Tuning is the best thing you can do because the trucks have a ton of torque management. There are a ton of sponsors in Houston ------------------->
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Any CAI kit that looks good, because like the others have said, they all perform the same (which is pretty close to stock).

Magnaflow or Corsa, just depends on how much you want to spend and how you want it to look.

Wheatley lives in Katy, off Fry and Clay, so keep that in mind as he can tune you locally.

Tom
Who is wheatly?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

he's a pretty well known tuner for the trucks....