recommendations on laminate flooring purchase/installation in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default recommendations on laminate flooring purchase/installation in Houston

Hey guys/gals....

I'm looking to have some laminate flooring put in my house. I went to Lowes today to check some stuff out, but since I am a complete newb at this kind of stuff I thought I would check on here and look for recommendations.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to where is a good place to buy the flooring and have it put in? I'm not a DIY guy so I'm looking for someone legit who knows what they are doing.

Please let me know if you have any feedback on someone who can help me out...

thanks in advance!!

Louie
Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

floor & decor is a little bit cheaper than lowes and home depot and have way more variety. And be sure to tell the installers to put the thin foam sheet underneath the laminate flooring,some don't use the sheet.As far as quality,laminate floors tend to stretch over time,so if you can afford wood floors,go for it.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Teching In

check with flooring america, I believe they are the ones who did ours, and they have real wood as well (looks much better). Not sure on exact pricing because we were going through an insurance company due to our house fire. Plus we removed all the old flooring, which gave us credit, but thats another story. Anyway, the guys came out and did everything relatively quick, and has a great waranty. We have had a few minor problems with the transition pieces a few times, and the next day they send guys out to fix it.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another Floor and decor guy here. I bought Bamboo as it can be refinished where laminant is a one shot type deal. Diy, not as hard as you think. LAbor costs more than the flooring.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

I am concerned about scratching and stuff...does the real wood flooring stand up pretty good against scratching? I have small inside dogs that like to run around and stuff...

can anyone give me a price per sq ft idea?

thanks for the input!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

like mentioned, check out "floor & decor" alot of variety there...

for installers, check the greendsheet...
Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry's Carpet in LaPorte did the install at our old house. Very professional, no problems. Looked great!!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 20lbbooster
Hey guys/gals....

I'm looking to have some laminate flooring put in my house. I went to Lowes today to check some stuff out, but since I am a complete newb at this kind of stuff I thought I would check on here and look for recommendations.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to where is a good place to buy the flooring and have it put in? I'm not a DIY guy so I'm looking for someone legit who knows what they are doing.

Please let me know if you have any feedback on someone who can help me out...

thanks in advance!!

Louie

We're about the same on that but at least I can input that even putting those square tiles in is a lot easier than thought. I bought a pack and tested a 12 x 12 area and was surprised how easy it was to do if you take your time and have a little patience. It even seemed like fun rather than a job to do where I even went and "tiled/laminate" the floor of my business. Not much tools needed either.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Launching!

If you go with wood floors don't forget to let them sit in your house for a few days to adapt to the humidity.

I just purchased wood floors from Aladdin Floor on 249/Beltway Talked to a lady named Amy who was very helpful
Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Texas Director

Try looking at Robert's Carpet. They carry WilsonArt flooring, which is very good quality. Real wood floors may look a little better, but if you're worried about scratching, I'd go with laminate flooring, which will not scratch at all. I've had my WilsonArt laminate floors for about five years now and have zero issues at all. I have had two medium sized dogs who get "excited" at times. Trust me, my laminate floor has definitely passed the scratch test.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Our wood floors don't scratch up, I have 3 German Shepherds who constantly have a battle royal all over the house .