Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Nothing but pissed with Craftsman!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing but pissed with Craftsman!

I'm working in my garage last night bending some stock in my vice and the base breaks into 3 pieces. Not under hard-core torque, just using it! I gather up the pieces and fiqure I'll take it by Sears on the way to work tonight and exchange it. Nope, their new vice's state "1 year warranty" on the box, so they won't exchange it! $60.00 for a vice that's only good for a year, wtf. So, I told the manager that Craftsman isn't supporting their customers and this one year warranty stuff didn't used to exist and I'd be buying my tools elsewhere. It sucks though, for the last 10-14 years I've bought nothing but Craftsman, spent more money for good tools than I had to, and this is how Craftman buyers are treated! I've gone through this 4 times with them in the last year and I've had it! Sorry for the lenghty post, venting!

-SS
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

unfortunately most of their vices and tools of that nature are built off shore now
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

I own a ton of Craftsman tools & accessories, and I try to stick with their hand tools because of the lifetime warranty; otherwise I do my shopping.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1cutlas
unfortunately most of their vices and tools of that nature are built off shore now
Yea, the broken pieces of the base are cheap cast metal! I'm going to try and buy any new tools from Snap-on, Lowes or Home Depot. I don't really have the budget to buy all Snap-On though. Supossedly all Kobalt and Husky are built in the U.S.A. and have a no-**** lifetime warranty. I don't want to but I think I'll be buying a vice from HF this weekend. I make it a point to buy American made stuff, especially tools. Craftsman is heading downhill!

-SS
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

i bring tools back to sears by the bag and have yet to have a problem exchanging them, sorry to hear about that though
Old 01-13-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to think that it was just this store here, but my father has had several situations like this in Tn. as well. This store is horrible though, no one wants to help you....then this crap.

-SS
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Yea, the broken pieces of the base are cheap cast metal! I'm going to try and buy any new tools from Snap-on, Lowes or Home Depot. I don't really have the budget to buy all Snap-On though. Supossedly all Kobalt and Husky are built in the U.S.A. and have a no-**** lifetime warranty. I don't want to but I think I'll be buying a vice from HF this weekend. I make it a point to buy American made stuff, especially tools. Craftsman is heading downhill!

-SS
kobalt and husky have very few things made in the USA, just like everyone else most of the stuff is made overseas. i think the same thing about craftsman quality but sears was/ is in trouble financial so this is the result to stay profitable.
i bought a new 1/2" air impact gun from sears last year, i got home and was getting ready to put a fitting on it, the whole trigger assembly popped off. the gun is still usable but it never was worth a **** anyway. i could of brought it back but i was afraid they would give me another i buy good air tools now and have no problems.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Launching!

I too am not too happy anymore with Craftsman tools, especially their rachets with the PLASTIC release buttons that are now on there. I started buying Kobalt from lowe's and am very pleased so far.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It really depends on the store. I've gone through 3-4 of the 'low profile' aluminikum jacks because the cylinders always leak, sometimes you just walk in and get a new one, no problem and other times i seem to get into it with the manager. Although usually with a jack you can pursuede them about safety. I noticed there are 3 types of people who work at sears; 1, old guys who actually know what theyre talking about and are usually car guys so they kinda care about the customer. Middle age people who always seem mad and hate their job (unfortunately, these people are usually the managers) and younger people in their twenties who are hit or miss. My neighbor works as an exec for sears and they work a few days a year in retail stores he's always telling me that 80% of the people who work in the retail stores are horrible.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I'm not happy with their tools or their sales people. I pieced back and welded the base of my vice back together today. I'm going to buy a one from HF this weekend. I have been nothing but faithful to Craftsman but I'm done buying tools from them, unless I have to, I'll buy from somewhere else.....

-SS
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I own alot of craftsman tools as my wife used to be an assitant manager for sears. As far as i know the lifetime warranty has always been only on the hand tools. A vice is considered shop equipment. I have started buying my tools from matco over the past 3-4 years as im a mechanic for a living and have been very happy. However as of recent the tool trucks have stopped running by the shop because so many of the salespeople arent making enough money to stay in the business. Btw, if you do some research alot of name tool companies just use rebadged lesser know tool manufacturers. Such as matcos screwdrivers are made by a german company called Witte, and their air tools are made by ingersoll rand. Myself I have a harbor freight vice that i bought a couple of years ago for about $20 and ive beat the hell out of it.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a way around the one year warranty but it not honest. You buy the same model vice that you broke and then a month later you return the broken vice and show them the receipt for the one you just bought. I belive in karma to much to do it but I can't help but plot.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I do too! I just welded the hell out of it and bought another from HF. I have ALWAYS been a Craftsman guy, but I'm done with them now. I can get tools elsewhere, cheaper or more expensive, just won't be as convienient as Sears was.

-SS
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have never had a problem, sorry OP for your troubles with Craftsman but all handtools I buy are Craftsman.....and Ive returned quite a few....sucks that the quality isn't as good as I would like and I have to return them but when I get a free one in its stead, it pays for itself..... for example, my 30' tape measure started life as a 25' tape measure... I put a nick in it while cutting some metal, so I cut it in half, took it back, they had no 25' so they gave me a 30' .....3 months later I droped it and bent the hook on the end, so again, I cut it in half brought it back and got another 30' ....I have returned this tape measure literally about 9 times now over the last 5 years all on 1 single investment.....

And +1 on the Harbor Freight Vices they are the same as the ones at home depot as far as quality but a **** ton cheaper for when they break...
Old 01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know, Snap-On is the only tool company that makes their own tools. FWIW, I was told by a Snap-On guy that they also make Kobalt tools for Lowes.

Shane
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM
...with cheese.

My Craftsman jack is falling apart and takes forever to pump up... Their hand tools are so-so... I'm a mechanic and a welder and once you get used to using high dollar tools walking into sears is almost the same as Harbor Freight. I only get tools from these places that I feel like could easily get lost or damaged. Check Ebay for deals on used Snap-on, Matco, Mac tools. Matco air tools are rebadged and repriced Ingersoll Rand. I've had a 3/8 and 1/2" Ingersoll Titanium Impact for years and they work like a champ.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
As far as I know, Snap-On is the only tool company that makes their own tools. FWIW, I was told by a Snap-On guy that they also make Kobalt tools for Lowes.

Shane
wow never saw that coming, SOME kobalt tools are good quality.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

In college I worked in Sears hardware, and yes, only HAND TOOLS are lifetime. Anything electric, powered, or industrial has a 1 yr warranty, or you can pay extra for their 'product protection plan' which has even saved myself before, while working there too!

Honestly, I don't use tools enough to break them. I've even had good luck with Duralast tools from Autozone when I'm in a pinch and they are the only place local open.

Lowes is where I buy a lot of stuff now. But in general, I don't buy a whole lot anymore anyway.

I am in need of a vise, so HF might be my next stop!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

thats BS id be furious.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im a sears associate, also a full time college student so i dont get to work as often as i use to. when someone brings me a less than lifetime warranty tool i always explain the warranty system, if they are polite and seem like they were made to believe it was lifetime ill USUALLY replace it for them. if they get pissy i let a manager deal with it, that becomes hit or miss on getting it replaced, i hate fussy customers haha.

but ill say my store isnt the same as all, we are a full line store, but we have excellent service, alot of sears do, some not so much...

oh.. and my brother has a huge 4,000+ dollar tool set from snap on.. its my personal opinion that the tools are about the same quality, strength and otherwise.. people are weird about brand names and what they like.. just like most of us would never drive a ford... why? exactly...

Quick Reply: Nothing but pissed with Craftsman!