Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Contemplating air tools, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Contemplating air tools, have some questions

I know there are a lot of people who love their air tools. In the past I've burrowed a few and they seemed to slow me down more than anything but I feel like I didn't have an optimal setup.

My old compressor took forever to get to high psi and randomly tripped the breaker so i was running in and out all the time and waiting. Also the air ratchets were likely harbor freight stuff

I have a nice craftsman 1/2 inch impact wrench already.

I am thinking about an air ratchet and anything else that you recommend that will come in handy. Do you guys find 3/8 or 1/4 in drive more useful on fbodies? I imagine I would want a 1/4 drive wrench that is pretty strong.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Went electric and haven't looked back since. As I'm a contractor, all my power tools were Milwaukee. The M18 and M12 line to be exact. They i picked up the new fuel 1/2" impact wrench a month or so ago and takes care of all my automotive needs. They also carry an air ratchet, grease gun and angle grinder. Bout the only thing I use the compressor for in the garage is my die-grinder. It's very liberating not having to carry an air hose around.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

You got me thinking. Ill have to do some research but I like that idea.
Did you get a 1/4 or 3/8 in tool?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 AM
Teching In

A nice sized compressor definitely comes in handy if you want to do any sandblasting/ powder coating, or painting. However, if you are not planning on any of that kind of work, Milwaukee electric impacts can't be beat, when I worked at a shop a couple of years ago, that is what all of the techs used. The most commonly used air tool was the blow off gun.

Still, an air compressor will always have a place in my garage.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the older 1/4" & 1/2" dewalt 18v impact tools. Not bad ,but the new 20 volt line is a bit better & will upgrade to them later.

The average portable home air compressor doesn't have enough volume for much air tool use.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a small 5 gallon compressor now for doing little things like lug nuts, tires, cleaning, ect in the garage because it's easy to move around. It's great for flats, taking to the track, ect. I plan to get a 30-40 gallon compressor for the garage when I finally get a media blasting cabinet and such.

As far as wrenching on cars, I also prefer electric tools. Just having a few electric impacts is really nice.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you buy all of it you'll always have the right tool lol
Old 09-20-2014, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the guys mentioned Milwaukee cordless tools instead of air - I have pretty much converted as well. Mostly because I work there and get a lot of test tools and stuff for free or at a good discount, so have been using them in the garage and around the house for the past 2 years. I think it would be quite a bit more costly to get set up with cordless vs. air tools, but then you don't need as much compressor because, as mentioned, it gets relegated to filling the tires and blowing parts off, etc., maybe occasional painting and die grinder. When I was all air tools, I found that the ratchet was loud and used a ton of air, the big impacts not so much. Air grinders and drills also use up the air. Sometimes they spit out a little oil from the exhaust if you keep them lubed. I hated dragging the cord around and having it draped over the fender when I was working in the engine bay. So anyway, I really like the cordless option, but not sure I would have converted from what I already had if I wasn't getting a good deal on the cordless stuff. As far as the cordles voltages are advertised, the 12V is 12V, but the 18V is actually 20.5V - why we don't advertise it that way, I'm not quite sure. The new batteries are really great, too. The Red Lithium 4.0 Ah batteries is what you want - although we are coming out with 5.0 soon and maybe even a 6.0 Ah battery in the future. As far as selecting Milw cordless tools, the 'Fuel' branded tools have brushless motors. They are more compact and more powerful - the batteries last longer on them. I am not in sales, so I am not shilling the products, just throwing some information out here.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely suggest getting a die angle grinder. They are not really bad about eating up all your air but if you like cleaning, it's a must.. I've got a 26 gallon Craftsman compressor and it doesn't strain it at all. You start using the cut off wheel and I wish I had bought the 60..

Quick Reply: Contemplating air tools, have some questions