Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Garage Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Ideas

This is the only section I could find that fit this the best, so I hope its okay. I currently have a small garage, single car, 9ft door. About 12ft overall width, 23ft in length. I currently have all my tools, a work bench and such lining the walls which take up a good amount of space. I am able to fit a car in the garage (C5 is currently in there for winter) but with two project cars it would be nice to have as much space as possible.

Basically what I am asking is if anyone else has a small garage and how are you utilizing it best? Any suggestions that help with limited garage space? I have considered adding another bay to the garage but there are some issues with permitting and the extra expense. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

What is the ceiling height?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
What is the ceiling height?
Right at 8' unfortunately.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lsfanatic
Right at 8' unfortunately.
The only options that is really going to help would be (1) build on to what you have. (2) Tear down and rebuild bigger. (3) Put the C5 in storage somewhere else.

I've been working on cars outside since 1989 and just this year built my dream garage. 24x40 with 12 1/2 foot walls. Still working on it but it's all insulated with heat/central air,Stereo/directv it's not even finished and I freakin love it.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

The only options that is really going to help would be (1) build on to what you have. (2) Tear down and rebuild bigger. (3) Put the C5 in storage somewhere else.

I've been working on cars outside since 1989 and just this year built my dream garage. 24x40 with 12 1/2 foot walls. Still working on it but it's all insulated with heat/central air,Stereo/directv it's not even finished and I freakin love it.
Damn, sounds nice. I'm jealous lol, any pictures?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are a couple as of last month, Quite a bit more done now.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Looks awesome, you have enough height for a lift of some kind it looks like? Also you building it yourself or did you hire a contractor?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Building it myself, I had help pouring the concrete and stick framing but I've done 80% myself including sheeting/roof/siding/electrical/Gas/Insulation and so on.
The extra height serves a couple purposes, A lift is probably the biggest reason and the second is it's cheaper to build up rather than out. My brother has a 24x30 garage with 8 foot walls, By going to 40' long instead of 30' and going 12' height rather than 8' I have double the cubic feet.
I'm building a 32" ledge around 3/4's of the interior and that alone adds 260sqft of storage space.
I call it my Garage Mahal, It's actually bigger than my house lol. I had to get a variance from the city, They nailed me for over $1,000 in permit fee's already and I still have to get another for the driveway approach.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...rage-shop.html
Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pics of current setup would help.

Without seeing the space, I would build a shelf that spans the whole width of the front wall(assuming there is no door there to the house/apt). Allow about 1.5' of space from the ceiling and use it for storage of things that be on the floor next to the car etc. So the shelf itself may span 12ft wall to wall, and be 4-5ft deep and 1.5" from the ceiling. If you build it right you can put some heave stuff up there and get it out of you way.

I did this while in a 1 car garage in an apt complex. I built it all from 2x4's and made triangular gusset brackets that supported the plywood shelf. I took 3/8" lag bolts and screwed into the wall studs. it was so sturdy I could hang my body weight (about 190lbs) off the very end of the bracket and not fall apart.

Define the issue you have...if you have a lot of toolboxes/air compressor/work benches...well you can't really relocate those lol

IMO, "space" around the car is more important than actual bench top real estate. So maybe have only 1 sturdy bench?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Building it myself, I had help pouring the concrete and stick framing but I've done 80% myself including sheeting/roof/siding/electrical/Gas/Insulation and so on.
The extra height serves a couple purposes, A lift is probably the biggest reason and the second is it's cheaper to build up rather than out. My brother has a 24x30 garage with 8 foot walls, By going to 40' long instead of 30' and going 12' height rather than 8' I have double the cubic feet.
I'm building a 32" ledge around 3/4's of the interior and that alone adds 260sqft of storage space.
I call it my Garage Mahal, It's actually bigger than my house lol. I had to get a variance from the city, They nailed me for over $1,000 in permit fee's already and I still have to get another for the driveway approach.
Got your priorities straight

Sounds like a nice setup, and good to hear you are doing most of the work. What kind of lift are you getting?
Originally Posted by smitty2919
Pics of current setup would help.

Without seeing the space, I would build a shelf that spans the whole width of the front wall(assuming there is no door there to the house/apt). Allow about 1.5' of space from the ceiling and use it for storage of things that be on the floor next to the car etc. So the shelf itself may span 12ft wall to wall, and be 4-5ft deep and 1.5" from the ceiling. If you build it right you can put some heave stuff up there and get it out of you way.

I did this while in a 1 car garage in an apt complex. I built it all from 2x4's and made triangular gusset brackets that supported the plywood shelf. I took 3/8" lag bolts and screwed into the wall studs. it was so sturdy I could hang my body weight (about 190lbs) off the very end of the bracket and not fall apart.

Define the issue you have...if you have a lot of toolboxes/air compressor/work benches...well you can't really relocate those lol

IMO, "space" around the car is more important than actual bench top real estate. So maybe have only 1 sturdy bench?
This is the best picture I have currently.

I already have quite a bit of shelf space, and most of the perimeter is air compressor, parts washer, bench grinder(on a stand), work bench, small welding cart, engine hoist, full toolbox stack, small toolbox stack, rolling cart, and drill press. That pretty much circles the garage, other then the far side which has a long shelf on it (has to many construction related tools on it really). I am working on a compressor house outside for a different compressor so that will be out of the way. Hopefully the long wooden on the shelf will have most of the stuff moved off of it once I get my shed better organized (12x24 in the backyard).

Not sure if I have an actual issue, other then needing more space. It is pretty much at the point where I cant work on the side of a car in the garage just because of the stuff I have.

Also in terms of the shelf across the front, there is a door on the right side into the house that is about 2' from the back wall. I have a shelf that goes most of the way across the front but about a foot and half deep.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well...that's a tricky one. Looks like you need to reorganize and get as much as you can in the back shed. A 12x24 should hole a decent amount.

From that picture, the gas cans, spare wood, ladders maybe even car ramps would go in the shed out back. Get rid of that long wooden shelf if you can and that should free up one whole side of the garage.

You seem to have a lot of big objects like parts washer and drill press that you can't really stick out in the shed...unless you wash a lot of parts, maybe sell it?

Like canyon here I cherish garage space. I hate seeing people on my street with nice garage space packed full of crap/storage and their cars sitting outside lol
Old 12-05-2015, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Yes the shed holds a good amount. Just needs some straightening up and condensing of what is currently in there (mostly construction tools). Hopefully when that happens I can ditch the long shelf. Gas cans will get moved there probably also.

I don't use the parts washer all the time, but when I do (rebuilds of any kind, generally cleaning dirty parts I am going to reuse) it is very nice. I might be able to move it to the shed and wash stuff there.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

maybe do some loft storage at the end of the garage to A) free up some floor space and B) let you get those massive wood shelves out and still be able to store the same stuff in the loft shelf.

Only issue here is your 8ft ceiling so you wouldnt want to drop the loft too far down so you can still walk under it without ducking if you are a tall guy.

I agree with the reorganizing as well, or you can always purge! Once a year I walk through the garage and if I dont use it dont know what it is or dont want it anymore it goes in a pile in the middle of the garage and I either throw it away or donate it.

Quick Reply: Garage Ideas