Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

How much does a hoist cost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much does a hoist cost?

I may be moving within the next year or so and I though it'd be cool to put a hoist in the new garage. How much trouble are they to install and how much do they cost? Is it a diy project to put one in or do you need a company to do it?

Ive seen a house in my sub that has a hoist with a car on it and another car stored underneath, making more storage space which is cool. Also, does having a lift interfeer with using the bay to store a car on a daily basis or is that not a problem?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

well you'll need at least 14ft ceilings in your garage. An avid DIYer who takes his time and takes a lot of care in setting it up can do it properly. It also depends on what kind of life you want to get.

Personally if you were going to buy it new then I would just have it installed. They have done many installations and would be able to complete the job much quicker. Plus depending on the type of lift you choose it can be impossible to setup unless you have some type of heavy lifting equipment to get everything into place and hold it while it is setup.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a lift. I bought it used but paid to have it professionally installed. He was done in about an hour and a half... from pulling in my driveway to driving away. Little old guy, but he sure knew his stuff - I love watching someone work who knows WTF they're doing. Worth every penny. He had the tools to drill through my slab, had the bolts to bolt down the lift, had the shims to level it, adjusted the safety stops to click properly (not at the same time), and made sure it all worked well. Love having a lift, even though mine doesn't go all the way up (only a 11' 6" ceiling, and the garage door overhangs the bay, so I can't go all the way up with the car).
Old 02-23-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

For home use, consider the units that are sold at Harbor Freight for about $1K or so. I never used one so ask here if anyone owns one and likes it.

"Hoists" are usually associated with tools that remove engines/trannies

"Lifts" usually mean hydrolic things that jack the whole car off the ground.

I guy I bought a 70 Vette from had a wholemade "lift." in his 8 foot garage. It consisted of a four foot "pit" dug into the basement floor and re-inforced with rebarb and concrete. He put the car up on jack stands and was able to have lots of room to work under the car.

It reminded me of the set ups they have to remove oil at the Jiffy-Boob shops. ...very effective
Old 02-23-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah i was reffering to lift, sorry. I usually always call it a lift but for some reason i chose hoist this time. Hmmm 1000$ new from harbor freight isnt bad i would have to investigate a bit. thanks for info.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Checkout Mohawk lifts, my dad and I just purchased 2 - System 1. Kinda jump the gun because we have not built the shop yet, everything is in a shipping container (tool shed).
Old 02-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Launching!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46604

seems like a decent deal
It would be fine for minor work
Old 02-25-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont forget, rule number one, you get what you pay for. Rule two is to remember that it is your body that is going to be under that lift. You really need to decide what you want to do with this lift. I purchased a two post lift from NAPA. It is commercial quality and was about $3000 installed. Nice installation and I dont hesitate to put my K2500 pickup on the lift. A bit expensive, but I really am comfortable with this lift. With that said, I always use those screw style lift stands under the vehicle when it is going to be on the lift for a while. I actually like the Harbor Freight stands better than the NAPA ones that I have. Probably something else you may want to consider is repair/replacement parts for your lift. A good brand name will hopefully be around for a while so you can get repair parts. One more item, try to get a lift that has round pads that go under the frame. The square pads can catch on your tires/wheels and will cause damage (dont ask me how I know this!).
Old 02-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Launching!

I would love to have a lift!!! That would save so much trouble.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

I found a deal on mine, a shop was selling out and I got it for 1000.00 I put it in with a freind. Man, was it heavy to stand up. Best tool I have perched so far..

Quick Reply: How much does a hoist cost?