Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What Type Of Floor Jack Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Type Of Floor Jack Do You Use?

I would like to hear what types of floor jacks people are using, and if they are saticfied.

I am particularly shopping for a jack with a min saddle height of 4" or less. The OTC stinger models seem to be a good value, any opinions? I was also looking into the American Forge and Foundary jacks, nice products I'm sure but a little more expensive. The Ranger jacks look like an awsome value, but they dont sit low enough for my applicaltion. Anyways post your thoughts or opinions thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got this sweet *** Crafstman Jack that has gone through hell and back. Thing has a 4'' lift plenum, and jacks way the hell up. Was $80 bucks too.

Tony.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

^^^^^i have that bad boy... it lifts my pig of a fbody
Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one of those Scorpion aluminum ones from the local parts store. Works great for my applications.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

I won't be any help on high end jacks but can tell you about my Larin and US General aluminum racing. The Larin (from autozone) has been fine but has a lot of saddle height. It also is very difficult to release slowly. It's more of a toggle that requires a "fire in the hole" before lowering. The aluminum US General is a dream compared to any other jack I've owned. It slips with room to spare under any of the sub-frame ends (my car is lowered) and has ample lever axis travel when going under the axle from the back of the car. There's no chance of getting it under the k member from any angle as my fascia is just 7 inches above the road surface and half of that for the air dam. This jack is light and pretty but I can't tell how long it will last as I've only owned it a few weeks and used it a half dozen times.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.ultimategarage.com/hmach.html

I've had the DK13HLQ since 1998 and love it!

I can send the jack all the way to the pumpkin or K-member and jack away, with only slight interference from the nose. And this is on a lowered car.

The jack pad height can go up almost 3 feet! Great for when a car is up on jack stands trying to install a trans.

The down side is that it's only rated to 2900lbs and I think that is generous. While it will handle either end or even side of a Trans AM, it can't do that with my Bronco or GMC HD.

I bought mine in a GP 10 years ago. It was $350 or so then.

The plastic handle cracked within about 6 months. But I put a couple hose clamps on it and have had no more issues.

The rear track is a little wide, but the nose is so long, you can just about work it into any where.

And it doesn't take too much of a throw to get the pump action going, like when under a car. the handle hitting the foor pan and down just a few inches will move the pad.

I would buy it again in a heart beat. Hands down the best jack I've ever owned ...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the comments so far. I would love to hear from someone who experience with the OTC stinger line up or Sunex.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

I have "The Beast" from Matco, caught it on sale, will slide under the kmember on my lowered LT1 car no problem, has a rubber pad and foam paint protector on the handle. One of the best that I have used.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

A/C Delco LoRise 3 1/2 ton.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Default US General Aluminum racing Jack

Hey, I bought a US General Alumium racing Jack 2 ton off Ebay. However, it stopped jacking up my car. Does anyone know of a website or where you bought your US General Jack?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Knotter12
Hey, I bought a US General Alumium racing Jack 2 ton off Ebay. However, it stopped jacking up my car. Does anyone know of a website or where you bought your US General Jack?

Thanks
Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92782
Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by mitchntx
http://www.ultimategarage.com/hmach.html

I've had the DK13HLQ since 1998 and love it!

I can send the jack all the way to the pumpkin or K-member and jack away, with only slight interference from the nose. And this is on a lowered car.

The jack pad height can go up almost 3 feet! Great for when a car is up on jack stands trying to install a trans.

The down side is that it's only rated to 2900lbs and I think that is generous. While it will handle either end or even side of a Trans AM, it can't do that with my Bronco or GMC HD.

I bought mine in a GP 10 years ago. It was $350 or so then.

The plastic handle cracked within about 6 months. But I put a couple hose clamps on it and have had no more issues.

The rear track is a little wide, but the nose is so long, you can just about work it into any where.

And it doesn't take too much of a throw to get the pump action going, like when under a car. the handle hitting the foor pan and down just a few inches will move the pad.

I would buy it again in a heart beat. Hands down the best jack I've ever owned ...
That's on my Christmas list this year...
Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 PM

Craftsman Steel/aluminum race jack. Works great.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im in the market for a jack and earlier today looked at the aluminum jacks from sears.....after reading the reviews thats deff. not the jack for me.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i have the sears craftsman 2 ton aluminum jack and it's a total piece of ****. it started creaping down after i used it only 3 times. after 5 minutes with weight on it it will be all the way down. i also have a friend that bought one of these and his is the same way.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the US general aluminum 3000lbs jack from harbor frieght tools. it's great. only i used it on the Expedition, and after i got done, it wouldn't go up anymore. it had something to do with the spindle on the back. so i took it back, and they swapped it out for me. maybe the truck exceeded the jack's limit? but i still like it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Matco's THE BEAST (MFJ35a) Jack Here as well. This Jack is Sweet. 3 1/2 Ton, 2 Stage, and it is built Heavy. I sold 18 of these things the last time they were on Sale and havent had a single complant. I was using a Craftsman Proffesional and it was a POS from the Day I got it
Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

craftsman from a crackhead for 10 bucks!! go to the hood for a good deal
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I believe the MATCO jack is a rebaged version of the American Forge and Foundary 3.5 ton jack. I could be wrong, but I noticed that all the specs are the same including the price.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
Matco's THE BEAST (MFJ35a) Jack Here as well. This Jack is Sweet. 3 1/2 Ton, 2 Stage, and it is built Heavy. I sold 18 of these things the last time they were on Sale and havent had a single complant. I was using a Craftsman Proffesional and it was a POS from the Day I got it
You said you sold 18 of them so I assume your a dealer. How much do those jacks sell for when they are on sale, and is there anyway to tell when the next sale on those jacks will be?

Quick Reply: What Type Of Floor Jack Do You Use?