Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Buying tool box, want suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying tool box, want suggestions.

I run a race team, race for fun, and have a lot of tools, and might work at a shop again.
Edit, read 1st
---

guys im NOT trying to bash on your toolboxes to each his own, but I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING CRAFTSMAN.
I like Bob Vila but I dont want him in my house. Nice guy though.
----
Sorry for that, I've been there, done that, gave away the box.

I'm currently looking at buying a new 52''ish ish box, and wanted your suggestoins based on FIRST HAND Exprerience only.

I'll be moving the box in/out of my racecar trailer a lot, and taking it to a lot of events, and honestly after using and seeing many other peoples boxes here are my two main concearns.

1) DROORS FALLING/SLIDING OPEN IN TRANSIT
2) abuse

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a snap on box, due to the drawer design with the slide over then pull mechanism seems to be the most anti-accidently slide open design. i dont personally know anyone with a NEW mac box, and the matco seems the exact same as my kobalt stuff but heavier duty.

Is there anything I'm overlooking, heres a picture of what I'm looking to buy, along with a new service cart, which im definately getting a used snap-on cart.

any other suggestions?

just want to prevent doors from sliding open by themselves. any you that have ever pushed/moved your box on an uneven surface, one the casters catches something, one loaded drawer comes out, another drawer comes out, eventually box tips over, you get to play 520 tool pick up, and then you start yelling loud words that small children dont need to hear. i dont want that.

Last edited by mikespeed95; 12-02-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a big *** snap on box and love it!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

If you don't have to have a name brand. I have 2 of the big Sam's club box's, and I love them. I have both models, one has more small drawers & one has more bigger drawers. They roll great, drawers are smooth, and I got all 4 pieces for under $1000. I also roll one in & out of the trailer, no problem. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the snap on box you pictured is the EXACT box i have as a tech and a student. I have the yellow one and i've had it for almost 4 years now. I love it, such a quality piece of equipment. Very durable and has survived many trips from my shop-->house-->school and back. the top thin drawer (highest one on the right below the long drawer) is only maybe an 1" thick with very small sliders and has survived a honda civic coming down on it when it was fully extended. The civic started to lift off the lift, and the drawer only suffered a VERY slightly bent track, and some scuffs to the top lock n slide (when i saw slightly bent i mean it still closes fine, just slower than the others).

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Snap-on and Mac = Overpriced. How durable does a tool box need to be? You are only putting your tools in it. I would look into a craftsman box. I have had mine for 8 years and haven't had any problems with it. Just my .02
Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are on a budget and have a little money laying around like myself, I bought the Craftsman 5 drawer chest and 5 drawer roll-away combo 4 years ago with the ball bearing slides and grip-latch drawer handles. I just picked up a similar combo from this weekends sales from Sears for about $230 after taxes, but with the "quiet glides". I go with Craftsman for most stuff b/c it's cheaper than Snap-On and normally there is a Sears place around where most live so if you break a tool and need it replaced ASAP, you can run over to Sears and they swap it for a new piece in no time. Only certain tools I buy Snap-On... like tq. wrench, calipers and other measuring tools, ect.
Everyone in the machine shop I work at has Kennedy and Waterloo. Kennedy boxes mostly come in a sh*t wrinkle brown and waterloo cost as more than Craftsman when Sears has a sale on them and they are lesser of a product to Craftsman.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

that craftsman crap i've had, and the drawers roll open all by themselves if you actually load them full of tools and stuff.

the snap-on and stuff hold up to the abuse that the craftsman wont. not knocking your guy's tool setups or anything but the shop i was at for a week i had more tools stacked in my 4 drawer tool cart than one of them had in a 6' tall craftsman box. i stockpile my tools so if/when something breaks i've got the exact thing to fix it the fastest.

i've got a whole 3'' deep foot wide drawer filled to the top with just my little pliers.

main thing im concearned with is the drawers comign open. seen it happen on matco's, craftsman, and the kobalt after a lot of abuse.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

well i have the new craftsman bearing toolboxes. and love them to death. I have loaded mine quite a bit and I roll mine around the shop everytime I use it. The only problem i had was plastic clips holding the craftsman plate on it. didnt hold up to well..
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Snap on.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
Snap on.
snap-on is over priced junk matco only way to fly
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

I have a MAc. The drawer slide detents are adjustable
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

snap-on,mac,and cornwell boxes are all built the same junky watch this video and see why for the money you cant beat a matco hell a 250lb man can stand in the drawers full open and they wont bend or break.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzSmR...eature=related
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Matco box. I like it a lot, especially for the price I got it for but it does not compare to a Snap-On box IMO. The drawer deisgn is horrible, I already replaced 9 sliders. I am planning on trading it in for a bigger Snap-On.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 3 piece Craftsman and have abused it for 15 years. It still works OK, but the drawers have started jumping off the track.

I have a Cornwell in my race trailer. It feels and looks about the same as my Craftsman.

I recently bought a new 42" Kobalt box from Lowes. It has the "feel" of a friend's Snap-On. I'm not too crazy about drawer layout. The deep drawer on the top box is kind of useless.

It looks very similar to the stainless boxes you find at Sam's or Costco.

In a trailer, with all the bouncing around that occurs, I bought several magnetic strips and laid in the drawer bottom. That keeps the tools pretty much in place. I use magnetic socket holders to keep the sockets organized.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my snap on box will take any abuse you can throw at it, and i assure you its a very quality piece. My old craftsman box could be easily picked up by 1 or two guys empty, my snap on box on the other hand requires a forklift to get it off the back of the truck. The snap on lock'n'glide drawers are awesome, they work well and keep the drawers closed on the bumpiest truck ride.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I have a MAc. The drawer slide detents are adjustable
interesting, how adjustable? whats the locking setup on the drawers as far as opening them?

lift up on the latch, slide over latch, doorknob?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

yes, the regular sliders are crap compared to the ball bearing. I have the ball bearing grip-latch for at home and love it. They WON'T roll open on you unless you didn't close it all the way.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Matco all the Way. A center support beam, Molded corners, and better spot weld placement than the Mac OR Snap ons. If your looking for a box that will be transported, Rolled around and abused with it full You may have problems with anything else. Most of you boxes(Craftsman, Husky, Cornwell, Some of the Mac boxes) are made By Waterloo. Snap on has a cheaper line that are outsourced. All Matco boxes are Make in Jamestown New York.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've got this 19 drawer Snap-On and really like it, i've moved it a couple of times with tools in it and just lock the drawers and don't have to worry about them coming open. they probably won't come open without locking it, but i haven't wanted to test it.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
interesting, how adjustable? whats the locking setup on the drawers as far as opening them?

lift up on the latch, slide over latch, doorknob?
you just pull to open the amount of force it takes to open depends on the adjustment you set by turning an adjuster with a wrench. the adjuster is on the right rear of the drawer.

Quick Reply: Buying tool box, want suggestions.