Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default changing spark plugs

I haven't yet, but will soon be changing my plugs. I hear it's a real pain. I remember someone saying a swivel head socket wrench makes things easier. Is it possible to change all 8 plugs without disconnecting coil packs or whatever. What tools would I need and does anyone have a part number for a swivel head socket wrench? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Restricted User

Default Re: changing spark plugs

If you got little girly hands and arms, maybe just maybe, but it is too easy to take off the coilpacks. when you remove the bolts, i suggest leaving the rear bolts off each side, you dont need them and they are a real PITA. You can use either a swivel head, long handle ratchet (3/8ths or 1/4") or after the broke free, I use a craftsmen 1/4" ratchet and the deep 5/8th for the rear plugs, and maybe a short extension for the others.

If you can find it, theres a compnay makes some realy cheap, crappy tools, but one thing they have that works nice is a 'T' Handle, long handle 3/8" Ratchet. you can use like normal ratchet or use the 'T' at the end it eliminates the handle turnign business. Had one a few years ago, still trying to find a replacement.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

If you can find it, theres a compnay makes some realy cheap, crappy tools, but one thing they have that works nice is a 'T' Handle, long handle 3/8" Ratchet. you can use like normal ratchet or use the 'T' at the end it eliminates the handle turnign business. Had one a few years ago, still trying to find a replacement.
The Sidewinder Looked on mine and no name on it, but did a search and found it. Good ol' JC has them, I should have known.

I agree unless you have skinny little arms, you won't be able to get the back plugs without removing the coilpacks. I have 3 bolts in each side now, they come off in seconds. Can someone explain why GM used the bolts they did on the coilpacks?

Shorty 10mm Gearwrench works great on the rear bolts.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

A 1" long 3/8" drive extension is your best friend. It puts the ratchet in the perfect position on those tight ones (#6 and #8).
Old 07-25-2003, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just used a 3/8 in rachet, swivel, and a 3" extension and did them in about an hour and a half for the first time. I removed the #8 plug from underneath and didn't remove any coil packs. I would have been done faster but the spark plug wire on the #8 spark plug was a PITA to get off and I lost my 3" extinsion in the suspension and it took me a while to find.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

A 1" long 3/8" drive extension is your best friend. It puts the ratchet in the perfect position on those tight ones (#6 and #8).

ditto!

Having lots of diffenent sized extensions (and some with swivle heads) are invaluable!

It took me less than an hour the first time I did them...

Tommy

Old 07-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Even with little arms and hands it still looked like I got in a fight with a cat after I was done without taking the coil packs off.

A 1" extension and a swivel head ratchet are definately your best friends for this job.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Even with little arms and hands it still looked like I got in a fight with a cat after I was done without taking the coil packs off.

A 1" extension and a swivel head ratchet are definately your best friends for this job.
1" wobble bar can help some too
Old 07-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

snap-on

They also offer a single swivel model.

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs