User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

ED...... Chat Room

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ED...... Chat Room

i guess this should be directed and answered by you rather than a mod..

it gets kind of old after a while leaving visitor messages.... and BSing in PM's just sucks because that is better used for talking about parts or setup or something like that, something that ony needs 2-3 replies..

when in chat it is instantaneous reply.. and you can have a convo with multiple people at a time...

cant be that hard to add a chat...

and i know some people will say its dumb and we dont need one and this and that, but if you dont want to use it, you dont have to.... hell, most people wont even know we have it... just add a little link that says "chat" in the toolbar up top somewheres

it would be much appreciated..

thanks a lot,

Evan
Old 11-15-2008, 03:28 AM
hashtagBMW

A dedicated chat room would take usable space on the servers and I doubt its going to happen anytime soon.

Go get yourself a free messaging system, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IQN and your problem is solved.

Tony.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Speed Density
A dedicated chat room would take usable space on the servers and I doubt its going to happen anytime soon.

Go get yourself a free messaging system, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IQN and your problem is solved.

Tony.
ahh, understandable..

i just figured there should be one specifically for tech.com... not with a **** ton of other people..

is there any way that we could link this site to a private chat?... that way not using server space, but still specifically for tech.com, as in you would have to log into tech.com to be able to access it..
Old 11-15-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

as your cruising through forums, you could chill in the chat and chat with other people on tech.com, just a good way to meet a TON more people..

other way, you have to go to individual people and say you wanna chat in... msn, aol... etc..

also, just because *i* have an instand messanger, doesnt mean *said person* will have it..
Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

edited...^^^
Old 11-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The entire point of LS1Tech is to have a database of tech information that can be searched and referenced at any point in time. Chat sessions are not saved, there's little tech info, they are mostly off-topic, and 99% of the time it's like romper room in a chat session. That's not something we're looking for. We've discussed it many times and the answer has always been no.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chat rooms work for about 20 minutes, then they get boring and nobody is in them any more. We went there, we did that, it died a quick death. We put one in over on SSU for a day or two.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
The entire point of LS1Tech is to have a database of tech information that can be searched and referenced at any point in time. Chat sessions are not saved, there's little tech info, they are mostly off-topic, and 99% of the time it's like romper room in a chat session. That's not something we're looking for. We've discussed it many times and the answer has always been no.
i understand this 100%...

since chats arent saved.. would it really use that much space up...

and yes it does get kinda rambunctious in chat sometimes... but it is fun, and a lot of members do like it very much..

tech.com is BY FAR the best lsx forum, dont get me wrong, it would just be nice to have a chat, its a VERY good way to make friends, instead of just "i like that exhaust" or so on..

it would have to be more than a day or two to actually work.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lemons12
i understand this 100%...

since chats arent saved.. would it really use that much space up...

and yes it does get kinda rambunctious in chat sometimes... but it is fun, and a lot of members do like it very much..

tech.com is BY FAR the best lsx forum, dont get me wrong, it would just be nice to have a chat, its a VERY good way to make friends, instead of just "i like that exhaust" or so on..

it would have to be more than a day or two to actually work.
I hear what you're saying and I can appreciate it. I also appreciate the suggestion. I would recommend using the regional forums if you're looking to meet up with like minded car enthusiasts.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

im for the chat room 100%. it would make it WWWAAAAYYYY easier to talk to people and meet people.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of the way messages are currently saved for research. Moreover, if there was too much chat on the site, then some people would be blocked from viewing while at work as many corporate firewalls block chat.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The chat room here would suck. I mean seriously look at the way a lot of people behave in a normal thread, can you imagine the pain in the *** they would become in an actual conversation? Also as said before go to your regional forum if you want to find like minded people.
Honestly I don't understand the reason we have the visitor messaging. Can someone explain what it is supposed to do that PM's didn't? My buddies and I tried using it but we came to the conclusion it was just silly.
The site worked fine the way it was, no need to change it.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is not going to be a chat room.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by silverM6TA
im for the chat room 100%. it would make it WWWAAAAYYYY easier to talk to people and meet people.
LS1Tech isn't an online dating service. No chat rooms, sorry.

Quick Reply: ED...... Chat Room