User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Proposition of Gaming section

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proposition of Gaming section

As a regular poster and observer of our fine internet board's "Racer's lounge", it seems that intelligent discussion on gaming in general is tough to come by. Also, the format with which gaming discussion takes place is HIGHLY unorganized. One MASSIVE thread discusses one video game, and it's tough to carry on any type of real discussion or conversation.

I move that a video gaming portion be added to the Racer's lounge, much like the Dyno and Bench Racing section is added. There, dedicated gaming news (usually ends up being car related ala Gran Turismo 5 or Forza 3) as well as thoughtful discussions could take place. Stickys could be added to host a database (or just a simple list) of user's Xbox live gamertags, Playstation network IDs, etc.

I think having a gaming section on such a popular automotive website like LS1tech is a great idea because it really brings people together who share a love of cars that other ways just wouldn't. Most gaming websites have no real slant on automotive enthusiasts, and considering LS1tech is one of the biggest automotive websites (in terms of membership), it seems like a no-brainer.

Edit: Non-car related gaming discussion is more than welcome (encouraged), I only mention the car video gaming as many other video-gaming forums don't care as much as us to have the discussion/playing styles we do.

For moderator suggestions, I have a few people in mind who participate actively in the gaming discussions that do happen. I would also nominate myself for the position, as I frequently monitor and post in gaming discussion, as well as post breaking gaming news for our members in the Racer's Lounge. A small section would be a good place to cut my teeth and get in some experience as far as moderating is concerned. I am ever observant on how moderation works on this forum, and I have taken note on how moderators operate in general on this forum, so I'm certainly up to the task. I've been a member on this website for a few years and have definitely grown as a person since joining and interacting with the LS1tech community.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Last edited by Gaunt; 06-01-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good idea I think, the last part was
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm generally in favor of just about anything that is going to make LS1Tech a "better" place (which is subjective). That's not to say I support your suggetion, though -- I'm neither for or against it. But, it's not my call anyway -- that's up to the lounge mods.

In the past, if a suggestion is not directly automotive-related, it's been shot down. My suggestion that an emergency workers section (police/fire/EMT) be added like the military forum was shot down, so you can about imagine how far this will fly. A large portion of the stuff police/fire/EMT does is related to traffic, so I can't see a sub forum for car video games being considered. Maybe, though.

Try PM'ing Bee, Vee or Dee and seeing what they think.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input 01ss, and will do Sharpe.

And it wasn't so much Car video games in particular, as it was having an organized forum where we can talk about video games in general. I was just showing that our video game topics generally have an automotive slant, so it's not completely unrelated to LS1tech.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

IMO, I don't support this idea. As this is an automotive board, I don't feel site resources or space should be used for something like this. Just my opinion.

In reality, you could make an arguement for sub-sections for every other type of hobby that might also include "car people", but you have to draw the line somewhere. I think the best idea was the creatation of SSU years back; an off-site place to go where other 'tech members already had an account. Bringing all those sections here would be a mistake, IMO.

Gaunt, the final decision on a site change like this would need to be made by the admins, not by any of the mods.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can understand how you feel, but this is why we have SSU.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I think the best idea was the creatation of SSU years back; an off-site place to go where other 'tech members already had an account. Bringing all those sections here would be a mistake, IMO.
Ah, yes. Good point. I agree.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the heads up gentlemen, I appreciate it. I admit, I lurk SSU far more than I post, and I understand clearer why ls1tech doesn't have a section like this. If at this point the idea is dead in the water, I will be sure to contribute to SSU more often as well. My thought process was even though there was a fair bit of overlap between LS1tech and SSU, it might get more traffic as a sub-forum here.

Again, thanks, and I will channel my video gaming where it belongs!

Quick Reply: Proposition of Gaming section